Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

When should I start getting worried and what should I do?

When should I start getting worried and what should I do?

Old Sep 25th 2001, 3:52 pm
Maurice Sheppard

This is strange as we got our approval a week ago last Friday (14th) according to
VSC's automated reply service. According to something I downloaded from the Embassy's
web site it said to write in with a stamped addressed envelope requesting that they
open a provisional file & forward Packet#3. I did that on Monday 17th September, but
so far absolutely nothing. I will try phoning them tomorrow.

Mo & Peggy (USC)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

--
Maurice Sheppard

Old Sep 25th 2001, 9:12 pm
Denis Barlow

Our I-129F was approved on July at CSC and since then we have heard precisely
nothing!

I phoned the US Consulate in London some time ago and got a very unhelpful lady who
said, No, they wouldn't open a provisional file and No, they wouldn't send the
forms out to me. She did however tell me I could download the packet 3 forms from
their website.

I downloaded the forms, filled them out, completed the checklist and sent all the
required forms back along with a photocopy of our I-129F approval form. It was signed
for at the US Consulate on September 9th but I have heard nothing from them.

The approval expires in less than 6 weeks. What do I do now?

--
Denis
-----

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

Old Sep 25th 2001, 9:16 pm
Denis Barlow

Ooops!! I missed out 5th before July for the approval date!!

--
Denis
-----

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
download
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I'm having a bad day with dates....the Consulate received my forms on the 4th
not the 9th!!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Sep 25th 2001, 9:36 pm
Sue

[usenetquote2]> > The approval expires in less than 6 weeks. What do I do now?[/usenetquote2]

I would call the embassy again. Sounds like you could have been unlucky - they do
have some helpful people there. Tell them the situation.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Our I-129F was approved on July at CSC and since then we have heard precisely[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > nothing! [/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I phoned the US Consulate in London some time ago and got a very[/usenetquote2]
unhelpful
[usenetquote2]> > lady who said, No, they wouldn't open a provisional file and No, they wouldn't[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > send the forms out to me. She did however tell me I could[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > the packet 3 forms from their website.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I downloaded the forms, filled them out, completed the checklist and[/usenetquote2]
sent
[usenetquote2]> > all the required forms back along with a photocopy of our I-129F[/usenetquote2]
approval
[usenetquote2]> > form. It was signed for at the US Consulate on September 9th but I have heard[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > nothing from them.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > The approval expires in less than 6 weeks. What do I do now?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Denis[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > -----[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.[/usenetquote2]

Old Sep 25th 2001, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

PriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to allPriZm is a name known to all

When I was calling the Embassy in June/July I found a lady called 'Anne' to be the most helpful at the consular information unit (0207 355..etc).

I'd ask for her, she was very good with my queries and put a few things right that needed amending.

PriZm.

Old Sep 26th 2001, 2:22 pm
Maurice Sheppard

Well, I didn't have to phone - my stamped addressed envelope was returned with the
relevant forms and my original letter to them this morning. But no actual covering
letter, just the IV15 (which I had already downloaded from the website), and four
forms including an Affidavit of Support. The OF-230 Part I was rubber-stamped across
the top "WILL BE K-1/2 IV15 sent 24th SEPTEMBER 2001", but no other reference numbers
to identify the application.

Now, may I ask a couple of questions from those kind folks who have been here before?

1. The form bearing the number DS-156K clearly has a place for the Consular
Officer's signature "SUBSCRIBED AND SWORN TO before me this - blah, blah, blah-"
and so I am obviously not intended to sign this until the interview as the
wording above my signature space starts "I do solemnly swear or affirm, etc,
etc". This form is A4 size.

Now the A5 size form that accompanies it is double-sided (and boy you really need
to practice your tiny writing on this one!) and bears the title OPTIONAL FORM 156.
This has a tiny space for a date & signature, but no space for a Consular
Officer's endorsement other than the usual "Do not write in this space" box on the
opposite side.

Similarly the double-sided A4 size "OF 230 Part 1" form similarly has just a space on
the second side for the applicant's signature & date.

The IV15 (May 2001) says:

"I. AS SOON AS POSSIBLE complete and return to us the following enclosed forms:

A. OF-230 Part 1 (Please complete both sides)

B. OF-156 (Please complete but do NOT sign the form)

C. OF-156K"

Now there seems to be a bit of a conflict here, as B does not require a signature at
this point, but it implies that both A and C do. Yet it would seem that the DS-156K
(presumably this is aka OF-156K) is the one that does not require signing since this
has to be sworn before the Consular Officer.

My question is, which ones should be signed NOW, and, if like me, you inadvertantly
sign the A5 size one (OPTIONAL FORM 156), is this a major problem since there is
space for me to sign it a second time in the presence of the Consular Officer?

2. Form DS-156K says "THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS MUST BE ATTACHED, etc, etc" (presumably
at the interview!) and in addition to the usual certificates also lists "Evidence
of engagement to your fiancee". How on earth can you prove engagement, especially
since neither Peggy nor I wear jewellry? I submitted half a dozen photographs,
airline tickets, and restaurant bills bearing my name & credit card number & the
US address of the restaurants with the I-129F. Surely, I don't have to provide all
this again? The originals were sent to VSC anyway!

Regards,

Mo and Peggy (USC)

[usenetquote2]>>Our I-129F was approved on July at CSC and since then we have heard precisely[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>nothing! [/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>I phoned the US Consulate in London some time ago and got a very unhelpful lady who[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>said, No, they wouldn't open a provisional file and No, they wouldn't send the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>forms out to me. She did however tell me I could download the packet 3 forms from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>their website.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>I downloaded the forms, filled them out, completed the checklist and sent all the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>required forms back along with a photocopy of our I-129F approval form. It was[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>signed for at the US Consulate on September 9th but I have heard nothing from them.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>The approval expires in less than 6 weeks. What do I do now?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>--[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>Denis[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>-----[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.[/usenetquote2]
    >

--
Maurice Sheppard

Old Sep 27th 2001, 6:13 pm
Maurice Sheppard

Yes, Dennis, it has been missing for a while now

I wasn't going to bother to send my forms via recorded delivery, but your posting has
changed my mind!

Mo

in message

[usenetquote2]>> Our I-129F was approved on July at CSC and since then we have heard precisely[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> nothing! [/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I phoned the US Consulate in London some time ago and got a very unhelpful lady[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> who said, No, they wouldn't open a provisional file and No, they wouldn't send the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> forms out to me. She did however tell me I could[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]>> the packet 3 forms from their website.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I downloaded the forms, filled them out, completed the checklist and sent all[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> the required forms back along with a photocopy of our I-129F approval form. It[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> was signed for at the US Consulate on September 9th but I have heard nothing[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> from them.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> The approval expires in less than 6 weeks. What do I do now?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> --[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Denis[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> -----[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

--
Maurice Sheppard