Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Whats the difference IV FEE and 1-130 fee

Whats the difference IV FEE and 1-130 fee

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Eko4show is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whats the difference IV FEE and 1-130 fee

Ok, I'm trying to bring my parents over. I paid the fee for 1-130 last July and I have received several communications from USCIS regarding this application. Last month I filed to be the AGent of choice so the paperwork comes to me instead of my parents in Africa (Postal service is horrible there).
This week I got a reply stating that they indeed got the Agent change form and are requesting me to pay $400 immigrant visa application fees.

My question is this
1) is the IV fee different from the fee I paid when I first filed?
2) OR i'M i BEING CHANGED $400 BUCKS because I choose the to be the agent of choice?

I certainly don't want to pay the govt anymore $$$ than neccessary.
Thanks for your replies.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats the difference IV FEE and 1-130 fee

Originally Posted by Eko4show
Ok, I'm trying to bring my parents over. I paid the fee for 1-130 last July and I have received several communications from USCIS regarding this application. Last month I filed to be the AGent of choice so the paperwork comes to me instead of my parents in Africa (Postal service is horrible there).
This week I got a reply stating that they indeed got the Agent change form and are requesting me to pay $400 immigrant visa application fees.

My question is this
2) OR i'M i BEING CHANGED $400 BUCKS because I choose the to be the agent of choice?

Thanks for your replies.
Normally I'd go off on some rant here about how you should really know what you're applying for and how to do it before you start, but, well, I guess I won't.

The fees you paid for the I-130s are the petition fees.
Now your parents are going to apply for visas. Each visa application has a fee too. That's what the $400 each is.
Don't forget the fee for the I-864.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My question is this

Thanks for your replies.
The IV Fee is different than the I-130 petition filing fee. This flowchart might help you: http://www.familybasedimmigration.com/forum/nvc.php

Rene
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

My question is this

Thanks for your replies.
Hi:

As a direct answer to your topic line: $45.00.

The I-130 fees are for the I-130 -- it paid USCIS for its trouble plus the cost of administering the refugee and asylum programs, plus the cost of naturalization for members of the US armed forces who are not charged at all. I forgot also paying for initial EAD's for asylum applicants. And then add in the assessment for general brick & mortar, utilities, investigation services, etc etc.

The visa fees are for the department of state.

Remember that if they were in the United States, the I-130 and the I-485 fees would be separate. Also, adjustments with USCIS are $1010.00 each. And you are complaining about paying ONLY $400.00?

Perhaps you should hire a lawyer. Then you can REALLY complain because the lawyer spent 10 hours of her life doing "nothing" that you could not have done yourself. At least the government agencies, unlike the lawyer, can actually give you something other than their time.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:39 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Perhaps you should hire a lawyer. Then you can REALLY complain because the lawyer spent 10 hours of her life doing "nothing" that you could not have done yourself. At least the government agencies, unlike the lawyer, can actually give you something other than their time.
uh oh. Bad day?
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
As a direct answer to your topic line: $45.00.
hehehe....good one.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:23 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
uh oh. Bad day?
Actually it was a pretty good day. The InfoPass worked like a dream -- found out what was happening a case across the country [which I had not handled, but also couldn't get a handle on -- now I know why he is considered to have an adjustment pending for 11 years], second case was where NSC is unlawfully rejecting a filing with instructions to check the 800 misinformation number or local office via InfoPass. 800 and now InfoPass have told me "not their problem" and I think they are 100% correct -- opening the door to suing the director of NSC. And third case we recovered the passports of two people adjusted in Immigration Court in January [DHS treats their attorneys like dirt and refuse to authorize them to give back the passports in open court! My client says that is absurd and I responded "I'm glad you agree with me."]

But seriously, a line that I often use with the CIS minions and in liaison meeting is "You should really appreciate attorneys because WE catch the flack which should properly be directed at YOU."
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The IV Fee is different than the I-130 petition filing fee. This flowchart might help you: http://www.familybasedimmigration.com/forum/nvc.php

Rene
Thanks Noorah.

I'd like to say calm down to those of you whose adrenalin is riding high.
I didn't come here because I wanted to deprieve the government of it numerous fees. I'm just making sure that I do not pay duplicate fees. Maybe I should have read the entire USCIS website for differences between all these fees, but it's tax season and I'm busy with Audit.

The fact that the IV fees and 1-130 fees are the same somewhat makes it confusing as well.
Well thanks for all your responses.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 7:03 am

Thanks Noorah.

I'd like to say calm down to those of you whose adrenalin is riding high.
I didn't come here because I wanted to deprieve the government of it numerous fees. I'm just making sure that I do not pay duplicate fees. Maybe I should have read the entire USCIS website for differences between all these fees, but it's tax season and I'm busy with Audit.

The fact that the IV fees and 1-130 fees are the same somewhat makes it confusing as well.
The I-130 fee is currently $355. Is that what the fee bill from NVC is also? You said $400.

Rene
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The I-130 fee is currently $355. Is that what the fee bill from NVC is also? You said $400.

Rene
Yes the IV fee is $355 plus extra $45 for iv security Surcharge. The fact that the fee was $355 just like the 1-130 is what aroused my curiousity.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:46 pm

This Flowchart might help you visualize what's happening at the NVC portion of your case.

National Visa Center (NVC) IV PROCESS & FLOWCHART