Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What is the new Kii visa about

What is the new Kii visa about

Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:34 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the new Kii visa about

Originally Posted by meauxna
Come ON, suzanne.. reality check time.
This is primarily directed at your husband, who knows better.

The US does not have the same type of government as the UK (I think you call it the Nanny State over there?)...........
That was unnecessary! Just because the UK is more concerned about the welfare of its citizens than others I could think of, does not mean it's a Nanny State...
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

suzanneUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
That was unnecessary! Just because the UK is more concerned about the welfare of its citizens than others I could think of, does not mean it's a Nanny State...

Thank you
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:04 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzanneUK
Wow I cant believe that! I dont know why we werent told .. it seems strange that he still had to file his tax returns when he left.

{snip}

Thats why it seems bizarre to us, he came to the UK to live and we werent told anything about tax returns.
Who was meant to have told him about that?

When I moved to Chile right out of college to live as an expat for a few years, I knew about having to file tax returns because I did research before I left (and the internet wasn't around back then as a resource like it is today -- if only!). No one "told" me.

If we get him back home soon the 1st thing he wants to do is give up his american nationality.
Bad idea. A few years ago, there was someone who posted on this forum about his girlfriend who had gotten fed up with the US, moved to the UK, and soon after marched into the US Embassy in London and renounced her US citizenship. She got her wish and was stripped of her US citizenship.

A year or so passed and she had a change of heart; she wanted to go "home" (aka, the US) and be with her family and friends again, etc. Unfortunately for her, she couldn't just hop on a plane and come back. She was no longer a USC -- nor had she obtain UK citizenship before her renunciation. She was stateless. If she wanted to go back to the US, she'd need a passport -- but in her case, she didn't hold citizenship of any country on which to obtain one. The boyfriend had come here to ask for advice for her; all we could tell him was that she'd basically have to sit tight until she qualified for UK citizenship, then she could get a new UK passport so she could visit the US -- but in order for her to live in the US again, she'd have to go through the same steps as any other foreigners.

Bottom line, she really dug a deep hole for herself, all in her haste to rid herself of her citizenship.

I have tried several times to locate that thread over the past couple of years, as this issue has come up before and it's an excellent example of why renunciation can be a really bad decision. Unfortunately it's out there hiding on the internet somewhere, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

~ Jenney
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Enough. I've heard Brits on this forum use that term for the UK. But let an American repeat it and you get on your high horse.

For Suzanne, since your husband abhors being an American and he has been expelled from the UK for violation of immigration policy, perhaps you both should look into a THIRD country to migrate to and not consider the US in any way, shape or form. Both of you would loathe it and that would not be good for you or for us.

Look into Canada or New Zealand or Australia.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

Bad idea. A few years ago, there was someone who posted on this forum about his girlfriend who had gotten fed up with the US, moved to the UK, and soon after marched into the US Embassy in London and renounced her US citizenship. She got her wish and was stripped of her US citizenship.
Personally I think it is a great idea. If you abhor a country that you are a citizen of and never want to live there or participate in it, then why retain your citizenship? The US is only one small country on the globe. He can live anywhere he wants if he is disease and crime free.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Personally I think it is a great idea. If you abhor a country that you are a citizen of and never want to live there or participate in it, then why retain your citizenship? The US is only one small country on the globe. He can live anywhere he wants if he is disease and crime free.

Thank you. He absolutely hates it there, he hates being labelled as "American" and regardless of what I say I know he wants to do it and will if given the opportunity.

We never thought about other countries as it will take alot if we havent got a base anywhere to start with .. but I guess lots of people do it.

I was the one who suggested me coming to the US if things didnt pan out over here but he is having none of it and tell me hed rather go to Mexico lol

We are under alot of stress at the moment and I was just looking at all our options and more importantly the quickest way we can be together again. To us it really doesnt matter where we are as long as we are together.

Thank you for your helpful posts.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Enough. I've heard Brits on this forum use that term for the UK. But let an American repeat it and you get on your high horse.

For Suzanne, since your husband abhors being an American and he has been expelled from the UK for violation of immigration policy, perhaps you both should look into a THIRD country to migrate to and not consider the US in any way, shape or form. Both of you would loathe it and that would not be good for you or for us.

Look into Canada or New Zealand or Australia.
Its just we are so used to living in a country that cares its hard to imagine being in the US. What if we need urgent medical treatment but dont have insurance or lose our jobs and become homeless? Its very scary to have that happen there and its a big risk.

I hear France and Canada look after their people quite well in regards to health care. I will look into it.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:17 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Enough. I've heard Brits on this forum use that term for the UK. But let an American repeat it and you get on your high horse..........
I'll speak up when my country is criticised. It would not occur to me to go and make derogatory comments about the US at UK-Yankee, so why should I stand by and accept such snide remarks here at BRITISH Expats. The comment I referred to is only suitable for Take It Outside - not the immigration forums.

Having said that, I thing Suzanne is being rather discourteous in her comments here about the US, seeing that she appears to consider moving there. Which would probably be a very bad idea...
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:19 am
Just Joined

I'll speak up when my country is criticised. It would not occur to me to go and make derogatory comments about the US at UK-Yankee, so why should I stand by and accept such snide remarks here at BRITISH Expats. The comment I referred to is only suitable for Take It Outside - not the immigration forums.

Having said that, I thing Suzanne is being rather discourteous in her comments here about the US, seeing that she appears to consider moving there. Which would probably be a very bad idea...

Well said.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:41 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What if we need urgent medical treatment but dont have insurance or lose our jobs and become homeless?
I'll just point out, since you brought it up, that under federal law, you can not be refused medical treatment in an emergency... whether or not you have medical insurance coverage. Of course, eventually someone is going to want payment in some fashion. That said, a medical emergency without insurance can easily bankrupt you.

Ian
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:56 am
Concierge

While this is BE, the immigration forums are home to more nationalities then just Brits. I'm sorry that you feel that the term is derogatory or inflammatory. It doesn't seem to be used in that manner nor do I feel that it is. You are reading your thoughts and feelings into a post and you are free to do so, but to remember that is your thought and might not be the thought of the poster or other readers.

And whether this is BE or not, I will speak up when my country is criticized unfairly as I have in the past. Now lets put this to bed and let Suzanne get on with her questions.

Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I truly hope Suzanne's husband can re-immigrate to the UK. It sounds like they will be VERY unhappy if she has to immigrate to the USA, even if it's temporary.

Rene
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest Suzanne, if all works out well and your husband returns to the UK, that he does not renounce his US citizenship until he can lay claim to UK citizenship. If something similiar happens again, and he gets deported, where would he go, eh? He would be stateless, as the poster in Jenny's story above. He should cover his arse and make he ALWAYS has a place to call 'home'. And until he is a UKC, he wouldn't have a 'home' if he got deported again.

The best plan is for you to get things straightened out so he can go home. Otherwise, if you immigrate here, you're looking at an 8-10 month process until you are together living in the same country again.

FWIW, most American's take it in stride that they are expected to help themselves, and don't expect the government to bail us out. It's called independence. And most Americans find it a source of pride that they rely on themselves and not on free handouts. Keep that in mind if you wind up moving here.

FYI, Folinsky, Suzanne considers it bizarre that he would have to file US taxes because in a lot of other countries (including the UK), if you immigrate, you no longer pay or files taxes to your home country. There's no excuse why her husband didn't do his research before leaving, but that's why she finds it odd that he would still have to file even though he wasn't working or living there.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Apr 7th 2008 at 5:10 am.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:45 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Thank you for clearing that up once again. I mistakenly keep thinking it's at the time he sends the I-864 to NVC. I'll have to remember better next time, again.

Rene
Hi:

Actually, you are right as a practical matter. I've had several overseas cases where we have had the equivalent of a CIS "RFE" or two. I was thinking more along the lines of filing for adjustment.

BTW, if doing an I-864W, those social security printouts they send out every other year are wonderful.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 5:50 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats why it seems bizarre to us, he came to the UK to live and we werent told anything about tax returns.

If we get him back home soon the 1st thing he wants to do is give up his american nationality.
Hi:

Ignorance of requirement to file returns gets you out of a fraud penalty. Also, the penalties are usually based upon a percentage of the tax that would have been owing -- what with the foreign earned income exemption is often zero.

Now, he is free to renounce once he gets back to UK. However, he will have to jump through some hoops at the Embassy because they want to make sure he KNOWS what he is doing and the consequences.

As a further matter -- if a US Citizen renounces citizenship for tax purposes, that is a ground of inadmissiblity to the United States.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.