Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What is my status now ? What should I do ?

What is my status now ? What should I do ?

Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Originally from Tahiti married in California currently living in Florida
eimeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is my status now ? What should I do ?

Hello !
I came to the Unites States with an F1 Visa from the law it will expire when I get my Bachelor's degree which is in May 2004 although it says December 2005 on the Visa.
Anyhow, we got married in December 2002 and we filed I130 and I485 at the same time, my husband is a US Citizen.
Now, I did the fingerprint, I got the employment authorization I applied for, but never used it, and we went to the interview, but some papers were missing.
I will send the papers necessary in at the end of January 2004.
So my question is: what is my status right now exactly ?
I want to pursue my studies to get a Master's degree. Should I apply for it as an international student or just as non-resident or a resident ?
If I apply as an International student I would need to get a new F1 Visa and get out of the country which I cannot do because I am applying fro Adjustment of Status. But I can I just apply as a regular student ?
Will I be legal ?
Please let me know and thanks in advance.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Originally from Tahiti married in California currently living in Florida
Default Re: What is my status now ? What should I do ?

Originally posted by eimeo
Hello !
I came to the Unites States with an F1 Visa from the law it will expire when I get my Bachelor's degree which is in May 2004 although it says December 2005 on the Visa.
Anyhow, we got married in December 2002 and we filed I130 and I485 at the same time, my husband is a US Citizen.
Now, I did the fingerprint, I got the employment authorization I applied for, but never used it, and we went to the interview, but some papers were missing.
I want to pursue my studies to get a Master's degree. Should I apply for it as an international student or just as non-resident or a resident ?
If I apply as an International student I would need to get a new F1 Visa and get out of the country which I cannot do because I am applying fro Adjustment of Status. But I can I just apply as a regular student ?
Will I be legal ?

Just wanted to had a precision, at the interview, the interviewer took ou tmy I 94 from my passport what does it mean ?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:42 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hello !
Will I be legal ?

Hey there

First of all Congrats on your marriage
You do not need to get out of the country and apply for a F1 visa. Your status is pending for AOS, You should have a receipt for it.. if not.. You will get it
As for the tuition.. there is 2 types: In-state and Out-state (The one that applies to international students)
It varies from state to state.. But I asked the college I will be attending to (Metropolitan college at Denver, Colorado) what tuition will apply to me, and the admission's lady said ... that In order to qualify for in state tuition, I had to show proof of my AOS filing.. and have lived in the states for a year before the classes start.
Hope that helps!!
Good Luck
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hey there

You do not need to get out of the country and apply for a F1 visa. Your status is pending for AOS, You should have a receipt for it.. if not.. You will get it
As for the tuition.. there is 2 types: In-state and Out-state (The one that applies to international students)
It varies from state to state.. But I asked the college I will be attending to (Metropolitan college at Denver, Colorado) what tuition will apply to me, and the admission's lady said ... that In order to qualify for in state tuition, I had to show proof of my AOS filing.. and have lived in the states for a year before the classes start.
Hope that helps!!
Good Luck
So, should I apply as an inernational student or just as a regular student ?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:56 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

So, should I apply as an inernational student or just as a regular student ?
Ask the admission office if you can apply for in-state tuition, if Yes.. ask them what they need. It might be different in your state
Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

I tried asking, but they jsut don't know.
Do you think I can apply for studies with a status pending from Adjustment of status ?
I am in California and the only thing they said is that is I wnat to get in state tuition I need to have had permanent resident status for a year
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:15 pm

I tried asking, but they jsut don't know.
Do you think I can apply for studies with a status pending from Adjustment of status ?
I am in California and the only thing they said is that is I wnat to get in state tuition I need to have had permanent resident status for a year
Have you asked the international counselor?. As far as I said.. It might be different in your state, I am so sorry.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help, I'll try to get more info on that.

When do you receive a receipt number ? I onlyt have an A#
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:32 pm
GiveMeStrength

Hey there

Hope that helps!!
Good Luck
Tweeky,
I didn't realize that you would be attending Metro State once you're in Denver. My sister is the Associate Admissions Director there! Let me know if you would like to get in touch with her- she can possibly help you with any questions you may have!

Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:32 pm

Thanks for the help, I'll try to get more info on that.

When do you receive a receipt number ? I onlyt have an A#
Once they received the missing documents.. they will send you a receipt
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:33 pm

Originally posted by GiveMeStrength
Tweeky,
I didn't realize that you would be attending Metro State once you're in Denver. My sister is the Associate Admissions Director there! Let me know if you would like to get in touch with her- she can possibly help you with any questions you may have!

Really??????? woooo what's her name, I spoke to a lady name Rose or something like that.
Wow thanks!!!!!!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help.

Don't know if anybody is pursuing studies under AOS pending ?
Old Jan 9th 2004, 10:44 pm
GiveMeStrength

Really??????? woooo what's her name, I spoke to a lady name Rose or something like that.
Wow thanks!!!!!!
Her name is Miriam!

Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:00 pm

Originally posted by GiveMeStrength
Her name is Miriam!

I am going to eat dinner.. it is about time lol.
Would you Pm me her phone number!!!
Thanks!!!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:09 pm
Mrraveltay

eimeo wrote:

> I tried asking, but they jsut don't know.

How can they not know? Are you asking the people that decide what
tuition you pay? Those people should know, otherwise how would they know
how to bill you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.