Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What the..... Interview already!

Wikiposts

What the..... Interview already!

Old May 7th 2004, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What the..... Interview already!

I think I must be hallucinating. Went to work for a couple of hours, felt like crap (I have the flu), came home & went to bed. My husband just woke me up and shoved a letter from USCIS in my face that says we have "Initial" interview on 7th July 2004 (I did double check the year!) in NYC for my AOS Now whats up with that? I didn't expect anything for at least another year as we only filed last May. Letter says to bring all the evidence of marriage etc. I expect we'll have the interview and IF all goes well, we'll have to wait months for the background check. Bloody typical as I had my EAD renewal "bios" last week. Oh well, we'll just have to see
Old May 7th 2004, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice
Default Re: What the..... Interview already!

Originally posted by mrsm
I think I must be hallucinating. Went to work for a couple of hours, felt like crap (I have the flu), came home & went to bed. My husband just woke me up and shoved a letter from USCIS in my face that says we have "Initial" interview on 7th July 2004 (I did double check the year!) in NYC for my AOS Now whats up with that? I didn't expect anything for at least another year as we only filed last May. Letter says to bring all the evidence of marriage etc. I expect we'll have the interview and IF all goes well, we'll have to wait months for the background check. Bloody typical as I had my EAD renewal "bios" last week. Oh well, we'll just have to see
Did you reall overstay your VW by over three years?
Old May 7th 2004, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by AlisonPA
Did you reall overstay your VW by over three years?
Umm, Yes. By the time I applied for AOS it was nearly 8 years. Not something I'm bragging about, it could very well be held against me. We will just have to see how the interview goes.
Old May 7th 2004, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

tcylinder is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, looks like we are on the exact same schedule as we filed in May and just got our interview for the same day as you at 26 Federal Plaza. If yours is for 9:15, we might even run into each other that morning!

Also, my wife just went for her Biometrics this week for her renewal EAD which expires in September - what a coincidence that you just did yours as well!

Do you have any idea how long before you get the green card. You mentioned waiting a few months for background check which I assume is what they do before issuing the green card.

Thanks for any info and best of luck on you interview!
Old May 7th 2004, 4:12 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

good luck in the interview. looks like the files going to msc has speeded things up. just want to ask has your online status changed?
Old May 7th 2004, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by tcylinder
Hi, looks like we are on the exact same schedule as we filed in May and just got our interview for the same day as you at 26 Federal Plaza. If yours is for 9:15, we might even run into each other that morning!

Also, my wife just went for her Biometrics this week for her renewal EAD which expires in September - what a coincidence that you just did yours as well!

Do you have any idea how long before you get the green card. You mentioned waiting a few months for background check which I assume is what they do before issuing the green card.

Thanks for any info and best of luck on you interview!
OMG - you're kidding, our appt. is at 9:15 too
We'll have to wear Brit- Expats pins or something to recognize each other.
I meant that as we got the interview so quickly, there has to be a catch. I think NYC stamps passports on the day of interview if approved/ background check is done? But you may have to wait for the stamp until check is done. The stamp allows you to travel out of the US and is proof of permanent residency. But I think it takes quite a while to receive the actual plastic card in hand.
Good luck to you too!

Candy wy - ha, ha, no my online status hasn't changed - this is a total surprise.

Last edited by mrsm; May 7th 2004 at 4:17 am.
Old May 7th 2004, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

OMG - you're kidding, our appt. is at 9:15 too
We'll have to wear Brit- Expats pins or something to recognize each other.
I meant that as we got the interview so quickly, there has to be a catch. I think NYC stamps passports on the day of interview if approved/ background check is done? But you may have to wait for the stamp until check is done. The stamp allows you to travel out of the US and is proof of permanent residency. But I think it takes quite a while to receive the actual plastic card in hand.
Good luck to you too!

Candy wy - ha, ha, no my online status hasn't changed - this is a total surprise.

Yeah, maybe I'll wear a pink carnation so we can recognize each other ( i know, corny!). I haven't been reading this board or doing much research as I didn't expect the interview for over a year and am in as much shock as you are.

I didn't realize that my wife's passport will get a stamp giving her conditional permanent residence (since our second wedding anniversary isn't for another year). That's great news. I'm hoping the universities here will recognize this so that she can go to school as a new york resident rather than a foriegn student as they charge double or triple the tuition!

I see that you are not a K1 visa person but i figured I'd ask if you were going to be doing a medical before the interview? Also, the NOA states that my wife will need to bring gov't issued photo ID. Is a passport sufficient or will she need to get a DMV photo card or driver's license or something equivalent.

Thanks!

John
Old May 7th 2004, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Yeah, maybe I'll wear a pink carnation so we can recognize each other ( i know, corny!). I haven't been reading this board or doing much research as I didn't expect the interview for over a year and am in as much shock as you are.

I didn't realize that my wife's passport will get a stamp giving her conditional permanent residence (since our second wedding anniversary isn't for another year). That's great news. I'm hoping the universities here will recognize this so that she can go to school as a new york resident rather than a foriegn student as they charge double or triple the tuition!

I see that you are not a K1 visa person but i figured I'd ask if you were going to be doing a medical before the interview? Also, the NOA states that my wife will need to bring gov't issued photo ID. Is a passport sufficient or will she need to get a DMV photo card or driver's license or something equivalent.

Thanks!

John
Surely EAD and passport would be enough (but take whatever she has).
Old May 7th 2004, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks!

John
She has her EAD & Passport, that should be fine. I do have my NYS driving licence.
Oh yeah, the medical - It's a long story, but lets just say there was a misunderstanding (I think) on my part or the BCIS helpline and I sent it with the AOS application. I better check into whether or not I need a new one, but I don't think so as BCIS extended the length of time medicals are valid. I have a copy of my vaccination sheet if needed.
Old May 7th 2004, 9:40 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that was fast!!
GOOD LUCK!!
Old May 10th 2004, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Holey Mackerel Batman!

Many congrats - hope it all goes well for you... maybe I'm not far off??

Old May 10th 2004, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Peter Newton
Holey Mackerel Batman!

Many congrats - hope it all goes well for you... maybe I'm not far off??
Hi Peter,
I was hoping that you would see my post. Fingers crossed for you two aswell, I hope that you have good news very soon. As you see above "tcylinder" & wife have their interview too, same date & time as us.

Last edited by mrsm; May 10th 2004 at 7:30 am.
Old May 10th 2004, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Luton_girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Goodluck at your interview..we had our's feb 18th this year, and we only put our paper work in August 2003.6 months from filing to the interview date, the interviewer told us we will hear within 90 days, which is up on the 18th this month, we are still waiting with fingers crossed...the only real question she asked us was why we didnt file sooner..as i had overstayed my VWP by 2 years..overall the interview was easy and no problems, done and dusted in 20 minutes...the waiting is the worst,very best of Luck to you both and i'll let you know when i hear anything.
Old May 10th 2004, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Luton_girl
Goodluck at your interview..we had our's feb 18th this year, and we only put our paper work in August 2003.6 months from filing to the interview date, the interviewer told us we will hear within 90 days, which is up on the 18th this month, we are still waiting with fingers crossed...the only real question she asked us was why we didnt file sooner..as i had overstayed my VWP by 2 years..overall the interview was easy and no problems, done and dusted in 20 minutes...the waiting is the worst,very best of Luck to you both and i'll let you know when i hear anything.
I thought they tell you if you've "passed" or not at the interview and stamp your passport with the I-551?
Old May 10th 2004, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

She has her EAD & Passport, that should be fine. I do have my NYS driving licence.
Oh yeah, the medical - It's a long story, but lets just say there was a misunderstanding (I think) on my part or the BCIS helpline and I sent it with the AOS application. I better check into whether or not I need a new one, but I don't think so as BCIS extended the length of time medicals are valid. I have a copy of my vaccination sheet if needed.
Mrsm,

Any new info on the medical situation? I'm not sure if we have to have a medical done before the interview and I haven't had time to call or research as of yet.

Let me know if/when you get any new info and I'll do the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.