Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

what happens once I receive my K1 visa?

what happens once I receive my K1 visa?

Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

SamSaid is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile what happens once I receive my K1 visa?

Hello all!
I have just a few questions that have been bugging me since I thought them up! lol
I havent *yet* received my K1 visa it shouldnt be too long now but I thought I would get a head start in my final process to move to the US.
What I wanted to know is do I need to announce to the UK government that I will no longer living in this country and that I am moving to the US? I am going to close my bank account but I thought if moving away i would need to inform someone of my move due to stamps and taxes etc.
Also once I receive my visa does it come with anything that I need to hand over to someone when I enter the US through the point of entry, and what procedures would I need to expect?
Im hoping to travel to the US a few days after receiving my visa so any help with these questions and some tips on what I need with me when I enter would be greatly appreciated!
Thankyou!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what happens once I receive my K1 visa?

Keep at least one bank account open in the UK.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamSaid
Hello all!
I have just a few questions that have been bugging me since I thought them up! lol
I havent *yet* received my K1 visa it shouldnt be too long now but I thought I would get a head start in my final process to move to the US.
What I wanted to know is do I need to announce to the UK government that I will no longer living in this country and that I am moving to the US? I am going to close my bank account but I thought if moving away i would need to inform someone of my move due to stamps and taxes etc.
Also once I receive my visa does it come with anything that I need to hand over to someone when I enter the US through the point of entry, and what procedures would I need to expect?
Im hoping to travel to the US a few days after receiving my visa so any help with these questions and some tips on what I need with me when I enter would be greatly appreciated!
Thankyou!
Hi,

Your Qs re leaving the UK might be bettered answered in a different forum on this site? (as opposed to moving on marriage)

Re the K1 visa - you should receive it with the mysterious brown enevelope from the courier. Take the envelope on the plane with you as hand luggage and hand it in at the airport in the USA. Having it displayed prominently about your person should alert an officer to direct you to the appropriate line. You will then go to secondary processing where the envelope will be opened. Don't forget to take your xrays with you too and make sure they are easily to hand in the (unlikely) event that they are asked for at the airport. Do not under any circumstances open the mysterious brown envelope before handing it in!!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamSaid
Please post these questions on the USA Lifestyle forum.

There is a tax form you need to file in the UK.
Reconsider on your bank account.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YouWantFriesWithThat
take your xrays with you too and make sure they are easily to hand in the (unlikely) event that they are asked for at the airport
The instructions for K1/CR1/IR1 visa holders now is that they may put the x-ray in the checked luggage, if they want to see it (extremely unlikely) they will pick up your baggage.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
The instructions for K1/CR1/IR1 visa holders now is that they may put the x-ray in the checked luggage, if they want to see it (extremely unlikely) they will pick up your baggage.
Hey, that's an improvement!

Rene
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

I would recommend keeping at least one UK bank account open...mine has been useful for buying birthday presents etc, and will be useful when I go home to visit next month I am sure!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:13 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever seen a post by someone reporting that they were asked to produce the chest x-ray.

Regards, JEff

take your xrays with you too and make sure they are easily to hand in the (unlikely) event that they are asked for at the airport.

Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hey, that's an improvement!

Rene

That's the way it was back in 1998. We weren't told to hand carry our x-ray.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

YouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond reputeYouWantFriesWithThat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I was thinking in checked baggage in a place that's to hand without having to unpack all your suitcase, like the inner sleeve most cases have against the frame.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

SamSaid is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your replies! I looked on the HMRC website and its only one form I need to send just to tell them I will be living in the US permanently, so Ill get that off as soon as I know my departure date
I will put all documents relating to the K1 visa that I aquired for the process in my hand luggage along with the brown envelope - once I get it! lol so Ill have everything on hand! Hopefully it will go smoothly.
All I have to do is wait now, not too long now I hope!
thanks!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:58 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Your Qs re leaving the UK might be bettered answered in a different forum on this site? (as opposed to moving on marriage)

Re the K1 visa - you should receive it with the mysterious brown enevelope from the courier. Take the envelope on the plane with you as hand luggage and hand it in at the airport in the USA. Having it displayed prominently about your person should alert an officer to direct you to the appropriate line. You will then go to secondary processing where the envelope will be opened. Don't forget to take your xrays with you too and make sure they are easily to hand in the (unlikely) event that they are asked for at the airport. Do not under any circumstances open the mysterious brown envelope before handing it in!!
Your visa gets put directly in your passport
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Your visa gets put directly in your passport
Yes............
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:54 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I just didn't want the OP looking for a seperate document! The whole process is stessfull enough!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 7:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP

Have you researched what to do when you enter about getting your social security number/card?

If not, then I would advise you to apply for it 10 days or longer after you enter the US. Just walk into the SS Office nearest you, complete the form, bring your passport with the K-1 visa in it and you will be processed for a social security card/number. It should arrive in the mail approximately 2 weeks after you apply for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.