Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What does my husband need to do?

What does my husband need to do?

Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What does my husband need to do?

Hi there,

My husband of 13 years and I, together with our two children, are considering going to live in the U.S. We are both British citizens but, despite never having lived in the U.S, I myself have a U.S. passport. Can any one tell me what my husband and children need to do to gain entry?

Thanks.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:17 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does my husband need to do?

It is detailed on the US Embassy web site

http://london.usembassy.gov/immigran...relatives.html
Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire333
Hi there,

My husband of 13 years and I, together with our two children, are considering going to live in the U.S. We are both British citizens but, despite never having lived in the U.S, I myself have a U.S. passport. Can any one tell me what my husband and children need to do to gain entry?

Thanks.
So you are a USC, and your husband and children are UK citizens. You will be doing what we call "DCF" filing for their Immigrant Visas. This means filing the I-130 petitions (one for each immigrant) directly to the USCIS field office in London, to start the ball rolling. Eventually they will all apply for Immigrant Visas. The whole process takes about 4 - 6 months to complete.

Read this BE Wiki guide and then come on back with any questions:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I-130_Filed_In_London

A few things to do more research on:

1. Have you (the USC) been filing a US tax return each year? If not, you will need to file at least the most current 3 years (if you've been earning over the IRS threshhold for filing requirement).

2. You need to read up on the I-864 Affidavit of Support. Unless you have income which will continue from the same source once inside the USA, or you have 3x the required amount in liquidable assets, you may need to find a Joint Sponsor. Note that the kids will need I-864W instead of I-864.

3. Make sure you research health insurance in the USA, and have a plan for getting it. It sounds like neither you nor your husband have a job in the USA lined up, so until you find an employer who provides health insurance, this will be a major cost out of your pocket in the USA.

Guess that's enough to get your started, eh?

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 21st 2013 at 9:40 am. Reason: added tax info
Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

Just a U.S. passport no other paperwork, like a birth abroad certificate?
Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KCK_DR
Just a U.S. passport no other paperwork, like a birth abroad certificate?
She doesn't need a birth abroad certificate for her husband's immigration purposes. Her US passport is sufficient.

Rene
Old Jun 21st 2013, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

it's very simple really:

We have been living in Northern Cyprus for three months. Teenager is not in school here but we have been looking at schools.

We are interested in relocating to Australia for me to do a PhD and husband to work as a skilled migrant.

How can that be confusing?

If it's so difficult to get your head round perhaps just apply yourself to the question I posted instead of delving around in my posting history. I'd love to receive any replies or hear of any experiences that actually pertain to posted question.
Sorry it's got confusing again.
Old Jun 21st 2013, 10:05 am

Claire,

I answered your question as it pertains to you living in the UK. If you've not been living in the UK for the past 6 months, but have been living in another country for 6+ months, then you'll need to find out if that country has a USCIS field office where you can file the I-130s. If they don't, you'll need to send the I-130s to USCIS in the USA. You can remain overseas, but the filing is done to the USA. That's a different process from what I described.

Please clarify where you (the USC) have been living for the past 6+ months, and where you will be living for the duration of the Immigrant Visa process.

Rene
Old Jun 21st 2013, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks.
YOU, as the US citizen, have to sponsor your husband and children in order for them to obtain visas to live in the States.

You will need to prove that you can support them, i.e income/savings/investments by completing an I-864 Affidavit of Support form.

Have you thought about health insurance? For a family of 4 this will cost hundreds of dollars a month.

What qualifications does your husband/you have? Getting a good job is based on having a good degree in the States.

You recently moved to Cyprus and had some difficulties finding jobs - this will probably be the same in the US. However the US is much more expensive to live in than Cyprus.
Old Jun 23rd 2013, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there, I've been living in Cyprus for three months. It's been a long holiday really. My husband's boss in the UK is holding his job for him there and we still have our house there, we also have plenty of savings but we do not want to return and are considering where to move permanently.

Considering the fact that I have a U.S. passport and our sons could go to a 'state' school in he U.S. without having to pay international fees, and our teenager would be able to receive learning support it seems pertinent to seriously consider the U.S. I believe there are some states with low unemployment and also some which are in need of more Production/Warehouse/Logistics Managers at the moment. We just started applying to jobs there and are receiving an excellent response with two Skype interviews lined up. I am considering applying for a scholarship and studying there myself.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

I have a new query that pertains to all of this - is there a chance that, despite me having a U.S. passport, my teenage son could be denied a Visa because he has Asperger's Syndrome (a type of high-functioning autism)?
Old Jun 24th 2013, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

SanDiegoGirl - you'd be surprised how expensive Northern Cyprus is to live in - it's a good deal more expensive than a city center in the UK. I have a BA and MA in English Literature from Cambridge University and my husband has 15 years experience as a Production and Logistics Manager. I'm not sure how easy it would be for me to get a job as I have little work experience but there are some states where there is a quite a bit of work in my husband's profession.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Hi Noorah101, thanks for all your good advice. To answer your questions: I've been out of the UK for 3 months. I was considering either returning to the UK for the duration of the Immigrant Visa process or, preferably, spending it in the U.S itself...?
Old Jun 24th 2013, 4:16 am

I have a new query that pertains to all of this - is there a chance that, despite me having a U.S. passport, my teenage son could be denied a Visa because he has Asperger's Syndrome (a type of high-functioning autism)?
Asperger's is probably not a medical condition which would cause a visa denial.

Rene
Old Jun 24th 2013, 4:21 am

Hi Noorah101, thanks for all your good advice. To answer your questions: I've been out of the UK for 3 months. I was considering either returning to the UK for the duration of the Immigrant Visa process or, preferably, spending it in the U.S itself...?
Since you are a USC, you can certainly spend as much time in the USA as you like, whenever you like.

Keep in mind that in order to file an I-130 directly to a USCIS field office overseas, the USC must have been living in that country for the 6+ months just prior to I-130 filing. I don't know if your 3 months in Cyprus is considered a long vacation from your home in the UK, or if you actually MOVED to Cyprus (giving up your home in the UK).

Rene
Old Jun 24th 2013, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

KCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant futureKCK_DR has a brilliant future

I am considering applying for a scholarship and studying there myself.
You need to consider the financial side of this application. You will need to be the sponsor of your husband and children.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.