Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What documents to carry when travelling on Advance Payroll?

Wikiposts

What documents to carry when travelling on Advance Payroll?

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What documents to carry when travelling on Advance Payroll?

Originally Posted by hcj1440
We used AP quite a few times. My husband was sent to secondary on every occasion, regardless of whether it was the first use of a given AP or a subsequent use. Also didn't matter whether it was at an airport POE or at a land border crossing. Seemed to us that the "regular" agents just weren't allowed to process anyone using AP at all.

Secondary took anything from a few minutes to more than an hour. It really depended on how long the line was inside -- if a lot of other people were waiting, you just had to wait for your turn. They never asked him very many questions -- it was just waiting in line that took a long time. My advice is to bring a magazine, and don't make any plans for immediately upon your arrival home!

It is amazing, isn't it, how different procedures are from one person to the next. Jim used A/P for almost three years before being adjusted and on all occasions the only time he had to go to secondary was for the initial use of the A/P and never for the subsequent use of the same document. Of course, they were all land crossings to and from Canada. However, those crossings varied from NYS to VT to ME.

He never was asked what he was adjusting from though as UKFlyer said and the other questions were asked by the guard at the drive-thru booth and not asked again in secondary.

Go figure ;-)
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Thanks, Rete.
I have an H4 visa in my passport, which is still valid. Do I actually have to use my AP?

DE

If your hubby is still working for the same company that he got his H-1B from and your H-4 then you can use the H-4. However, might be easier to take both and ask them which they prefer to use ;-)
Old Jun 6th 2005, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Visitor is an unknown quantity at this point

At JFK I am always marched off to the secondary immigration official who rarely asks me anything. I take a seat and wait 5 to 10 minutes and that's it.
I always take both parts of my AP even though they are identical. No one ever told me to take just one or both so I take them both just to be sure. And they never actually keep either of them.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 5:36 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Visitor
At JFK I am always marched off to the secondary immigration official who rarely asks me anything. I take a seat and wait 5 to 10 minutes and that's it.
Pretty much the same here, well with Boston. Last time they let me go through the crew line which pissed everyone else off who was waiting. I went into Seconday inspection where they asked me if I had a nice trip, welcomed me back and off I went. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think the Immigration staff at Boston, whether at Logan or at the JFK building are wonderful, professional and a pleasure to deal with.