Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What documents to carry when travelling on Advance Payroll?

Wikiposts

What documents to carry when travelling on Advance Payroll?

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Garfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really nice
Default What documents to carry when travelling on Advance Payroll?

Do i need to carry any documents except my advance payroll and passport? i got my AP from i-485 based on marriage.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

USimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant future
Default Re: What documents to carry when travelling on Advance Payroll?

Originally Posted by Garfield2005
Do i need to carry any documents except my advance payroll and passport? i got my AP from i-485 based on marriage.
just to correct u my friend it's advance parole and not advance payroll
From what i know u need ur unexpired passport advance parole and to be safe take ur NOA
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Visitor is an unknown quantity at this point

All you need is your passport and your AP.
Don't worry about it too much, its a very simple process at the immigration control.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Garfield,

If you've received two AP's, leave one at home, and take the other with you. Don't take them both.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Garfield,

If you've received two AP's, leave one at home, and take the other with you. Don't take them both.

Best Wishes,
Rene

???????????

Rene

Are you saying to leave one page of a two page advance parole at home? Or are you saying if you have to valid advance parole documents, to only use one? There is a difference.

Most advance parole documents are two pages (some are three) and you should carry both with you when you first use the advance parole. Often and it is legal for the agent at the POE to retain one copy that is sent back to the district office and one is stamped and mutilated for you to retain for use again if it is a one year, multiple trip, advance parole. You will then be left if one sheet if you originally received two and two sheets if you originally received three.

Rete
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
???????????

Rene

Are you saying to leave one page of a two page advance parole at home? Or are you saying if you have to valid advance parole documents, to only use one? There is a difference.

Most advance parole documents are two pages (some are three) and you should carry both with you when you first use the advance parole. Often and it is legal for the agent at the POE to retain one copy that is sent back to the district office and one is stamped and mutilated for you to retain for use again if it is a one year, multiple trip, advance parole. You will then be left if one sheet if you originally received two and two sheets if you originally received three.

Rete
Ohhh, oops. Sadegh received two identical APs of one page each. It was my error in thinking one should be left at home.

Thanks for the correction. Never mind my incorrect post.

Rene
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Ohhh, oops. Sadegh received two identical APs of one page each. It was my error in thinking one should be left at home.

Thanks for the correction. Never mind my incorrect post.

Rene

NP .... many thought the same and were fortunate at the POE that the agent made a copy of the document for their purposes.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:01 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Visitor
All you need is your passport and your AP.
Don't worry about it too much, its a very simple process at the immigration control.
As a matter of interest, do people with AP get sent to Secondary Immigration - if so how long does it normally take?
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:42 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
As a matter of interest, do people with AP get sent to Secondary Immigration - if so how long does it normally take?

Normally, yes, for the initial processing of your A/P. Depends on the amount of people/paperwork they have to process in addition to yours. For the initial processing they usually input your information into the database and then they will stamp your A/P and passport with new I-94's paroleing you into the US for an indefinite period of time. Some have actual dates written but usually it says "indef" because there is no way to know how long AOS will take. On the second use of a multiple entry document, they do not send you to secondary and just replace the old I-94.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:55 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Normally, yes, for the initial processing of your A/P. Depends on the amount of people/paperwork they have to process in addition to yours. For the initial processing they usually input your information into the database and then they will stamp your A/P and passport with new I-94's paroleing you into the US for an indefinite period of time. Some have actual dates written but usually it says "indef" because there is no way to know how long AOS will take. On the second use of a multiple entry document, they do not send you to secondary and just replace the old I-94.
Thanks, Rete.
I have an H4 visa in my passport, which is still valid. Do I actually have to use my AP?
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:10 am
Eric S.

I think you might go to secondary the first time you use the AP (my wife
did). And subsequent times, no. But I don't have first hand knowledge of
this.

- Eric S.

"DonnaElvira" <member35233@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > > All you need is your passport and your AP.
    > > Don't worry about it too much, its a very simple process at the
    > > immigration control.
    > As a matter of interest, do people with AP get sent to Secondary
    > Immigration - if so how long does it normally take?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric S.
I think you might go to secondary the first time you use the AP (my wife
did). And subsequent times, no. But I don't have first hand knowledge of
this.

- Eric S.
We used AP quite a few times. My husband was sent to secondary on every occasion, regardless of whether it was the first use of a given AP or a subsequent use. Also didn't matter whether it was at an airport POE or at a land border crossing. Seemed to us that the "regular" agents just weren't allowed to process anyone using AP at all.

Secondary took anything from a few minutes to more than an hour. It really depended on how long the line was inside -- if a lot of other people were waiting, you just had to wait for your turn. They never asked him very many questions -- it was just waiting in line that took a long time. My advice is to bring a magazine, and don't make any plans for immediately upon your arrival home!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

mikookingnampyon will become famous soon enough

Just thought I'd add a data point for using AP.

Wife (then girlfriend) and I (USC) entered the US from Mexico at San Ysidro. She had received 2 identical AP documents about a month earlier. I told her that she only needed one and her passport for our trip. Upon entering the US we were directed to the office to get her AP adjudicated. She was directed to several officers(because she didn't have the 2nd page) having to explain the situation each time, got fingerprinted, and got an new I-94. Total time was about 1.5 hrs. So the lesson is, don't forget both pages!!
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Garfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really niceGarfield2005 is just really nice

What kind of questions do they ask on the secondary inspection?
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:08 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

What kind of questions do they ask on the secondary inspection?
You should be asked three basic questions: on what basis are you adjusting status - work or marriage; what was the purpose of your trip; how long were you absent from the States.

Some IOs have been known to ask completely inane questions - I had one of these on my second re-entry, (he was new) but he was corrected by one of the more experienced IOs.

I, too, had to pass through secondary inspection both times I used my AP. Both times my AP was stamped, along with my I-94, (a new one filled in for each re-entry) and passport. On the stamp was handwritten the expiry date of my AP. Neither time was my AP taken from me - both times it was photocopied instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.