Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What did you do for your wedding?

What did you do for your wedding?

Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:38 am
Mosquito-Bait

teamaven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What did you do for your wedding?

My husband an I got married at the city Registry Office (the equivalent of city hall wedding). It was just his parents, a mutual friend and that was it. My relatives in the US couldn't make it. After that we took a week off and went up to Yorkshire and stayed in a cabin. It was lovely.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

As my mum,family and friends wouldnt be attending i wanted a really low key wedding.

Firstly we thought that the local registry office at the county court would be fine - i had a vision of myself turning up in jeans, just the two of us, with a flower in my hair and being all bohemian - when we went to check it out I realised i didnt want it after all! We were having approx 25 guests and i didnt want them to have to go thro the airport style security checks for my wedding day and it all seemed a bit too sterile

In the end we opted for a lovely hotel - got married in the parlour then reception and dinner. It was very nice do!!!

The hard part was in the planning - I arranged it from UK - we got married a week after I arrived and there was a heck of a lot to do! Talk about multi tasking!!! Good luck with yours!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elainedalton
So with the whole K1 visa situation, the thought of what I'd do for my wedding has troubled me. My fiance and I have come to the conclusion that a 'city hall' wedding is probably the best option, and my mum who's in England probably won't be able to attend.
What did everyone else do??
Me and the TAS also did K1 and got married at city hall 2 days after I landed. We just considered that to be another piece of paperwork for USCIS, so it was just us in shorts, the justice and the crazy gun people picking up their gun licenses at the same desk.
4 Months later we had a big (semi) traditional chinese wedding/banquet where we made our promises to each other and that's the date I started calling myself Mrs.
Lx
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:02 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Went to the local internet shop run by the wife of the district headman and signed the necessary papers. A few days later went back and picked up the marriage certificates, one for each of us.

No wedding involved, not a requirement for getting married in her country.

Regards, JEff

So with the whole K1 visa situation, the thought of what I'd do for my wedding has troubled me. My fiance and I have come to the conclusion that a 'city hall' wedding is probably the best option, and my mum who's in England probably won't be able to attend.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

HisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really niceHisBetterHalf is just really nice

Although we had already been planning a wedding (for 2006), we were sick of the long-distance and time apart - and trying to figure out visa options and timing - so while he was here on a long visit (in 2005), we decided to get married at the city hall of my hometown. We managed to do it exactly 1 year before the big fancy wedding we had already been planning - so the timing was perfect - and no need to remember two anniversaries!

His father flew over and the three of us drove through a hellish snow-storm to my hometown where we met up with my father, my sister and two very dear family friends - my late mother's best friend who has always been like a mother to me and her husband - who were to serve as witnesses.

The actual ceremony took only a few minutes. It was in a generic conference room at the city courthouse, but the bailiff had attempted to arrange the fake potted trees in such as way as to make it a little prettier. I remember both my husband and I got choked-up as we said the standard vows. Very sweet. Aterwards, my father treated every one to an amazing dinner at very nice restaurant and my sister surprised us with a beautiful cake. THEN, to my shock, my father and my (now) father-in-law, conspired for us to have a suite at a local B&B and filled it with roses and champagne. It was incredible!

After that, we all returned to life as normal and we continued planning our formal wedding for 2006 (which we referred to as our "marriage celebration"). For that event, many of my husband's family and friends flew in and it was a grand celebration - for a first anniversary!
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
We got married in a church across the street from the house we had rented in TN. The minister's name was Lonnie, his wife's name was Bonnie, and his daughter's name was Connie, and they were the only ones there. My parents and eldest daughter looked after the kids, all 6 of them, back in WV. That was 33 years ago.
So sweet!
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

cappedup is on a distinguished road

NY city hall. Originaly planned Central Park with + 2 people. Developed into city hall with about 6. i invited 2 best friends from the UK. Actually ended up as about 12 people. I regret not getting my parents over. It grew larger than planned at the last minute.

I wear a suit and Converse in my wedding photos.

Evening was wine and pizza in a very flash hotel room with about 20. Very classy affair.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

fuzzyhb is an unknown quantity at this point

we got married in Central Park, New York. We had a professional photographer, and professional videographer, and officiant, and flowers for less than $1000. we put the video on youtube and the photos on flickr for people at home