Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

What the? - or BCIS gives me a non-existent appointment

What the? - or BCIS gives me a non-existent appointment

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:46 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Default What the? - or BCIS gives me a non-existent appointment

So, last month, I called up BCIS to make the appointment for my EAD renewal biometrics, and after a bit of bouncing around with fully booked offices, I got a saturday appointment nearby for mid november. The 11th.

I know they said the 11th because they said it twice, and I know they said Saturday because they said that twice also. Except I recently bothered to look at a calendar for November and the 11th falls on a Tuesday!
What the... in the Dept of Homeland security's mammoth budget, can they not afford a couple of calendars?

So now, I have to call them back again in the morning and pray that my appointment date is still secure and the guy just misquoted the date, and also that I don't get shunted to the back of the queue, I only recently found a good job after 8 months of looking, and I'd very much like to keep working in the near future. I have my appointment confirmation number, so that should hold me in good standing, rite?

/Rant over.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What the? - or BCIS gives me a non-existent appointment

Originally posted by nathan barley
So, last month, I called up BCIS to make the appointment for my EAD renewal biometrics, and after a bit of bouncing around with fully booked offices, I got a saturday appointment nearby for mid november. The 11th.

I know they said the 11th because they said it twice, and I know they said Saturday because they said that twice also. Except I recently bothered to look at a calendar for November and the 11th falls on a Tuesday!
What the... in the Dept of Homeland security's mammoth budget, can they not afford a couple of calendars?

So now, I have to call them back again in the morning and pray that my appointment date is still secure and the guy just misquoted the date, and also that I don't get shunted to the back of the queue, I only recently found a good job after 8 months of looking, and I'd very much like to keep working in the near future. I have my appointment confirmation number, so that should hold me in good standing, rite?

/Rant over.
Hi:

I don't know about NYC -- but in LA if you go in EARLY or even a day or so late and they are not so busy, the ASC will take you.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So, last month, I called up BCIS to make the Except I recently bothered to look at a calendar for November and the 11th falls on a Tuesday!

heheh nathan...maybe they're trying to tell you something
Old Nov 4th 2003, 3:27 am
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

Nov 11 is also Veteran's Day.
So I'd question if a gov'ment office will be open.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:19 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

/Rant over.
Perhaps they were looking at October... the 11th was on a Saturday. Same day as my sons birthday and the England V Turkey match!

Maggie
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:51 pm
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

The BCIS never ceases to amaze me with their ability to screw up the most basic of interactions.

You might want to get into the habit of writing your appointments on your calendar. You would've been able to spot the mistake right away.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:38 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Maggs
Perhaps they were looking at October... the 11th was on a Saturday. Same day as my sons birthday and the England V Turkey match!

Maggie
Nah, it wasn't that, he explicitly said they were fully booked October through to November at all the ACS's in NYC. I think he definetly got confused though, and perhaps he was looking at Oct 11th when he set my app, but he definetly said November 11th.

Anyway, I called them today, and naturally, despite having a confirmation number (which apparently counts for shit folks), they could find no record of an appointment on my account. I had to reschedule an appointment for December 16th, which now puts me in jeopardy of lapsing out of work authorization and having to stop working until I receive my card. Luckily, my employer will likely let me go on unpaid leave until it's resolved.

They also suggested I just try turning up at the ASC on Saturday 8th and Saturday 15th, so we'll see.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 10:54 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, it wasn't that, he explicitly said they were fully booked October through to November at all the ACS's in NYC. I think he definetly got confused though, and perhaps he was looking at Oct 11th when he set my app, but he definetly said November 11th.

Anyway, I called them today, and naturally, despite having a confirmation number (which apparently counts for shit folks), they could find no record of an appointment on my account. I had to reschedule an appointment for December 16th, which now puts me in jeopardy of lapsing out of work authorization and having to stop working until I receive my card. Luckily, my employer will likely let me go on unpaid leave until it's resolved.

They also suggested I just try turning up at the ASC on Saturday 8th and Saturday 15th, so we'll see.
Hello

It really is unfair for you to have to wait even longer but I hope it goes ok for you anyway. I'm on day 67 of waiting for my first EAD!

Maggie
Old Nov 5th 2003, 4:55 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Nathan:

Another poster mentioned that he went to an ASC in Brooklyn and found the place deserted. Earlier in this string, I mentioned the possiblity of showing up early.

Now, that 800 operator has suggested it also. Remember that those 800 operators are at one location in the country [which they don't disclose, I've asked] but are not familiar with the "facts on the ground" at the ASC's.

Go early -- and rather than a Saturday -- try a late lunch break from work and go early in the afternoon -- you have really nothing to lose in the attempt.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

What a bunch of wallys!

When I went to Varick St for my EAD appt the place was deserted (it was early morning). Definitely give it a try!

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Nathan:

Another poster mentioned that he went to an ASC in Brooklyn and found the place deserted. Earlier in this string, I mentioned the possiblity of showing up early.

Now, that 800 operator has suggested it also. Remember that those 800 operators are at one location in the country [which they don't disclose, I've asked] but are not familiar with the "facts on the ground" at the ASC's.

Go early -- and rather than a Saturday -- try a late lunch break from work and go early in the afternoon -- you have really nothing to lose in the attempt.
Old Nov 8th 2003, 4:52 pm
Corpsicle

Originally posted by Peter Newton
What a bunch of wallys!

When I went to Varick St for my EAD appt the place was deserted (it was early morning). Definitely give it a try!
Phew. I went down to the Woodside ASC with my M.i.L in tow this morning; got there for 7.45, beating the huge queue that quickly grew behind me.

At 8am, we were let in, and a security guard took my NOA and looked over a few lists that he had. For whatever reason, even though my appointment date and the confirmation code were invalid, he left me through with no questions asked and pointed me to the EAD line. I was first up, and after a 5 minute wait, was taken for fingerprinting and photographing by a curious woman who kept intermittenly smiling at me, then becoming very surly, then smiling again... perhaps she was bipolar

Anyway, I was in and out by 8.15am, and cut my way through the huge waiting line that had formed in the office, to outside. I was also told it takes about 2 months to produce the card... sigh