Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Walkin Interim EAD at Baltimore Failure =(

Walkin Interim EAD at Baltimore Failure =(

Old Feb 11th 2004, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice
Default Walkin Interim EAD at Baltimore Failure =(

Hiya,

Just thought I would share this with you guys.

I applied through Vermont for my AOS/EAD Oct 21st, got a receipt dated Oct 30th. As it has gone past 90 days now I left home at 6 this morning to go to the Baltimore Office to get an EAD until Vermont processed my other one. I get there, they take a copy of the form (after 40 mins in the queue outside with the biterly cold wind) and a copy of my receipt notice... then tell me you cannot get one same day under any circumstances, give me a copy of my form back with a stamp that says "Received Baltimore 2/11/04" and told me I will get a letter in the post in a couple of weeks with an interview date to get the finger printing done.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and they told me exactly the same thing.

Is this correct?? Basically all I acheived this morning was to deliver the file that Vermont should have sent on already to the Baltimore office, and now I have to wait another few weeks (she said 2-6 weeks!!!!) before I can start work

Help!
Lee
Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:05 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Walkin Interim EAD at Baltimore Failure =(

Sorry to hear of your bad experience, Lee. Why the hell USCIS even bothers with timelines is beyond me. They're not even close to their estimates, and that just chaffs people's arses even more.

Kate. xxxxx
Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Sorry to hear of your bad experience, Lee. Why the hell USCIS even bothers with timelines is beyond me. They're not even close to their estimates, and that just chaffs people's arses even more.

Kate. xxxxx

Aye... Vermont are dealing with applications dated October 7th last time I checked ... that is 120 days or so already!! Mine is dated October 30th so I have weeks before they even get to me yet.

I guess at least my "file" has reached Baltimore now, and she printed out a sheet with "IBIS Search" at the top and showing nothing found which might help shuffe things along

It doesn't make it any less infuriating. I have had a job offer on the table for 4 weeks now subject to work authorisation, which as the end of January was my 90 days they were happy to wait for. Are they still going to wait when they find out it will be potentially another month yet???

Add to that, my wifes position at work has become very rocky too due to budget cuts etc, at this rate we could both be out of work if they don't hurry up and get on with it!

Lee
Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:14 am
Andy Platt

Did you explain this is for an interim EAD? Did you show them where it says
on the I-765 you are entitled to one after 90 days?

It might be time to get your spouse's representative involved.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here, it's just your warped imagination
"leebarton" <member7333@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hiya,
    > Just thought I would share this with you guys.
    > I applied through
    > Vermont for my AOS/EAD Oct 21st, got a receipt dated Oct 30th. As it
    > has gone past 90 days now I left home at 6 this morning to go to the
    > Baltimore Office to get an EAD until Vermont processed my other one. I
    > get there, they take a copy of the form (after 40 mins in the queue
    > outside with the biterly cold wind) and a copy of my receipt notice...
    > then tell me you cannot get one same day under any circumstances, give
    > me a copy of my form back with a stamp that says "Received Baltimore
    > 2/11/04" and told me I will get a letter in the post in a couple of
    > weeks with an interview date to get the finger printing done.
    > I asked
    > to speak to a supervisor and they told me exactly the same thing.
    > Is
    > this correct?? Basically all I acheived this morning was to deliver the
    > file that Vermont should have sent on already to the Baltimore office,
    > and now I have to wait another few weeks (she said 2-6 weeks!!!!) before
    > I can start work
    > Help!
    > Lee
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:33 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by leebarton
I applied through Vermont for my AOS/EAD Oct 21st, got a receipt dated Oct 30th. As it has gone past 90 days now I left home at 6 this morning to go to the Baltimore Office to get an EAD until Vermont processed my other one. I get there, they take a copy of the form (after 40 mins in the queue outside with the biterly cold wind) and a copy of my receipt notice... then tell me you cannot get one same day under any circumstances, give me a copy of my form back with a stamp that says "Received Baltimore 2/11/04" and told me I will get a letter in the post in a couple of weeks with an interview date to get the finger printing done.
I'm so sorry to hear your news -- that totally blows.

I really don't understand why they couldn't give you the interim EAD. The USCIS website states, clear as day:

If USCIS does not approve or deny your Employment Authorization Document application within 90 days ... you may request an interim Employment Authorization Document. You must go to your local USCIS office and bring with you proof of your identity and any documents that USCIS has sent you about your employment authorization application.

(The 2nd paragraph under the "How Do I Apply?" section: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/ead.htm#apply)

You did exactly what USCIS said you had to do. What gives?!?!

~ Jenney
Old Feb 11th 2004, 3:38 am

I was going to wait until the middle of March to file for my new EAD, giving me that 90 day window, but after seeing so many people waiting even after the 90 day estimate they give you, and Miami are only working on Oct 2nd 2003 EAD's, I think I'll file mine right away. (That's probably what they're waiting for, so then they can take my cash, and then issue and AOS interview date right after that!!! We all know what you're up to, USCIS!!!)

Kate. xxxx
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:20 am
Sarahstokesuk

Hi,

I guess it's a shame the wording is "may request" rather than "are entitled
to"...it's like 'you can ask but we don't have to give!' I wish they realised
how hard it is for healthy, able people to be out of work when they really
don't want to be. I did have success with the walk-in last week in Cherry Hill,
NJ, but that was after my appointment was cancelled by them because of snow.
You have my sympathy....

From Sarah

Old Feb 11th 2004, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone.. makes me feel a bit better.

I specifically mentioned interim over and over during our conversation, but have just noticed on the photocopy of my 1-765 that she gave back to me after she had copied it she put "Duplicate EAC04-xxx-xxxxx" in small writing in the "Fee Stamp" official use box in the top right. What does she mean duplicate.. I haven't even had one yet!!! *rolls eyes*

I just found the quoted bit and read it thoroughly and all other EAD stuff I could find. I do like their word "request" not using "allowed".. oh well =(

I had spoken to our congressman a day or two before the 90, and he sent me a letter saying it will be another 2-4 weeks... that was just under 2 weeks ago so guess it is time to try and hurry it again, although i have another 2 weeks still according to his timescale

It is sooo frustrating wanting to be able to go out and earn a living, especially with my wifes job in jeopardy for budget cuts right now, and not being able to.

On another note, the date stamped on it is yesterday, 2/10... is there a timewarp between here and Baltimore??

Last edited by leebarton; Feb 11th 2004 at 6:40 am.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 12:44 am

II just found the quoted bit and read it thoroughly and all other EAD stuff I could find. I do like their word "request" not using "allowed".. oh well =(
Lee, I just filled out my EAD renewal, and noticed something it said on the instructions:

"Interim EAD. If you have not recieved a decision within 90 days of receipt by the INS of a properly filed EAD application or within 30 days of a properly filed initial EAD application based on an asylum application filed on or after Jan 4, 1995, you may obtain interim work authorization by appearing in person at your local INS district office. You must bring proof of identity and any notices that you have received from the INS in connection with your application for employment authorization."

Note the word "OBTAIN". This form was revised on 5/9/02, so I suppose they'd say that the wording on this form no longer applies, but if they say that, surely they should take this form out of circulation? Just my theory, and I don't know if you'll be able to put this info to any use.

Kate. xxxx
Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info kate... am going to call the disinformation line (like that will help =P) and ask some questions...

Does anyone have the number you have to ring at Batlimore to make appointments. I am wondering if they may be able to help too.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road

Hiya,

Is this correct?? Basically all I acheived this morning was to deliver the file that Vermont should have sent on already to the Baltimore office, and now I have to wait another few weeks (she said 2-6 weeks!!!!) before I can start work

Help!
Lee
Feel for you old boy... I sense that EAD applicants are pawns in an ongoing stand-off between NBC and local offices. I recall one of the attorneys who post to this forum strongly hinted The BCIS centres are mightily pee'd off at the NBC for dumping them with the interim apps as they don't want to process them.

On the bright side, you only had to wait for 40 minutes from 6am... in MN it's a 2 hour wait outside and a 1 hour wait inside, or a 30 minute wait outside and a 6 hour wait inside. Either you can freeze to death or be bored to death. The choice is ours!
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

kenny803 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lee,

Sorry to hear about it. One way its good you went to Baltimore -Now you know VSC messed it up by not transfering your files to Baltimore. Do you know whether all your files (EAD & 485) are transfered to Baltimore. If yes, you should hear from Baltimore very soon (3-4 weeks) regarding AOS interview and finger printing notice. EAD was very slow in my case (I got mine on 02/10/04 while the my files got transfered to baltimore on Nov 2, 2003).

All the best

Hiya,

Help!
Lee
Old Feb 12th 2004, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Note the word "OBTAIN". This form was revised on 5/9/02, so I suppose they'd say that the wording on this form no longer applies
Why? This is the latest version of the form and it states clearly at the top: "Expires 04/30/05"

There is no question at all about it's validity and it says "obtain" as you point out. I would be furious if this happened to me and would march in there with the form itself.

Now, whether or not what's written on the form has any legal standing is a different question and one I'm unqualified to answer.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 11:38 pm

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
Why? This is the latest version of the form and it states clearly at the top: "Expires 04/30/05"

There is no question at all about it's validity and it says "obtain" as you point out. I would be furious if this happened to me and would march in there with the form itself.

Now, whether or not what's written on the form has any legal standing is a different question and one I'm unqualified to answer.

Totally agree. Just another example of USCIS changing the rules whenever it feels like it and confusing already frustrated people even more.

Kate. xxxxx
Old Feb 12th 2004, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Totally agree. Just another example of USCIS changing the rules whenever it feels like it and confusing already frustrated people even more.

Kate. xxxxx

On a brighter note.. I got the Transfer Notice on my I-485 to Baltimore yesterday.. wasnt even looking cos I wasn't expecting that for a year or so yet hehe =P

sooo how long was it for you from transfer to green card? =P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.