Reload this Page >

Waiting time from Medical to Interview

Waiting time from Medical to Interview

Old Aug 8th 2012, 11:20 am
Just Joined

philhome1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waiting time from Medical to Interview

Hello all new to this all,

My question is from having your medical to getting an interview date how long does it normally take?

I'm going for an immigant visa and i believe once you entry US it goes on to becoming the so called green card?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Waiting time from Medical to Interview

Originally Posted by philhome1988
Hello all new to this all,

My question is from having your medical to getting an interview date how long does it normally take?

I'm going for an immigant visa and i believe once you entry US it goes on to becoming the so called green card?
My interview was exactly 2 months after my medical, but I had given them a leaving date 4 months away so probably wasn't a particularly high priority. I don't know how representative that 2 months wait is. After the interview it's another week or 2 before your passport is returned with the visa inside.

Upon entering the US with an immigrant visa, you immediately take on Permanent Resident status and will be mailed a green card which can be used as evidence of your status.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 11:42 am
Just Joined

On our forms there is no priority date but when i sent in the ds230 I put a priority date of Sep 2012 on the cover letter.

1. Will they take any notice of this cover date?
2. Do priority really play a big role in the date your interivew is assigned?

ps thank you for your update and comment
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say maybe 1 month to receiving interview date, for a date 4 - 6 weeks later.

The visa will be endorsed with a stamp showing your PR status for 1 year. The plastic green card will come in the mail within about a month.

Rene
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

I honestly don't know. Logically I think they should do. If they receive 2 applications at the same time, one with a travel date one month later and the other 5 months away it makes sense for them to hurry along the earlier one. Whether they actually do or not I really don't know. Other users might, particularly noorah101, jeffrey, or lansbury.

Just as an aside, the term "priority date" has a very specific meaning in relation to US visa applications. It's not something youve had to worry about with an immediate relative application but it's best to avoid the term unless using it in the intended meaning. Otherwise simple people like me are liable to get slightly confused.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

On our forms there is no priority date but when i sent in the ds230 I put a priority date of Sep 2012 on the cover letter.
For the spouse of a USC, there's no "priority date" involved. There will be a visa number immediately available to you. Even if there were a priority date involved, it's nothing something you yourself can choose.

I think what you meant to say was that you gave them your preferred time for an interview.

1. Will they take any notice of this cover date?
Maybe.

2. Do priority really play a big role in the date your interivew is assigned?
For those who truly have a priority date, yes. But for someone in your situation, no...not such a big role. The consulate probably tries to accommodate, but no guarantees.

Rene
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

yep thats what I meant sorry for coming across bit wrong all this stuff is quiet new to me.

Thank you for your help
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

K and J H is just really niceK and J H is just really niceK and J H is just really niceK and J H is just really niceK and J H is just really niceK and J H is just really niceK and J H is just really niceK and J H is just really nice

Hi there,

We were told that it would take approx 2-4 weeks from the medical to get the letter regarding the interview, and that the interview was typically 4-6 weeks from the date of the letter.

HOWEVER, we had a huge shock this week, when our lawyer received the letter inviting my husband to an interview for the next day! We had 18 hours notice (luckily we live in London and my husband was free to drop everything to go the next morning). Our lawyer said she only knew of this happening once before and that was with 3 days notice. So...All told it was 2.5 weeks between the medical and interview for us but, I think we were just lucky to be on the very quick end of the spectrum.

Best of luck!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:34 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Having the medical exam is not the only prerequisite for setting an interview date. It could take forever, literally, if you haven't submitted the other materials that are required.

Have you?

Regards, JEff

Old Aug 8th 2012, 4:57 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSL8610
I honestly don't know. Logically I think they should do. If they receive 2 applications at the same time, one with a travel date one month later and the other 5 months away it makes sense for them to hurry along the earlier one. Whether they actually do or not I really don't know. Other users might, particularly noorah101, jeffrey, or lansbury.
As far as they can they do try and take note of travel dates. Certainly with mine they schedule the interview in time for me to travel on the date I put on the form. Others we have put a travel date on have, from reading different posts on here, been given dates ahead of those who put no travel date, but whose timelines seem to be similar.

Which I guess means yes they do look at travel dates and try and be helpful, but do NOT rely on them doing so.