Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Visiting US before K1 finished

Visiting US before K1 finished

Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting US before K1 finished

Originally Posted by lele
The point that I am trying to make though is that "what is required to show non-immigration intent from China" is a much higher burden than to "show non-immigration intent from an EU nation". And *this* is what is unfair. Why is it that from an EU nation, or even a non-vwp nation which is quite well to do, such as South Korea, that the income requirements are lower? Why is it that you can apply 10 times from China, and be approved on the 10th time, not changing any of your submission information, and denied the other 9 times (unless the person just happens not to have a bad hair day on that 10th time)? Why is it that unemployed people or people with small incomes, can travel easily, but that a person with a steady, well paying job, family connections, and property from China is still denied a visa most of the time when applying?
Maybe you should be blaming people that are trying to get visa's on false information etc, who when get them come over, and years down the line sponsor entire family over, situations like that that are making it harder for everyone else.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

Marlowe66 is on a distinguished road

I thank you for your post.

I have a slew of mixed feelings. In some ways, I am happy that you can be together so easily. I *never* want to feel as though I am being critical of the foreign person, because even if they are from a wealthy nation, they still need to go through hoops.

I wish everyone well!
lele: think my post crossed paths with yours. Read your first post as mean. I see now you're just frustrated. I really sympathize. I've got no idea why the process has to be so screwed up - and am as pissed off as you are. Good luck in managing it!

Nora
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with this!
The point that I am trying to make though is that "what is required to show non-immigration intent from China" is a much higher burden than to "show non-immigration intent from an EU nation". And *this* is what is unfair. Why
I just have to say, sad as your story is.. The system has been this way for a long time before you got involved in it.. and will still be the same long after you are done ...
your repitious story of how hard done by you are.. is getting boring ... We know your problems ..you are not the first here with that problem. and no doubt not the last.. but please !! there is nothing we can do about it ..
we will cheer on your sucesses and commiserate with your bad days...Just please do not go on and on ..with the same thing..

Now give me a ciggie...
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future1Duckie has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Visiting US before K1 finished

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
I am thinking of flying tomorrow.... plus I want it to be a suprise. She has no idea what I am planning, and I want to see her face when I walk in.

Your idea is a good one, except like I said, I want to leave tomorrow and wouldnt be able to wait for any paperwork to arrive.

I let you know what I decide!

Thanks everyone.
I hope the surprise is not on you.

I cannot tell you wheter or not you will be allowed in. I can only wish you luck and tell you it is up to the POE. A return ticket is not necessarily proof to them that you will be returning.

Being allowed in may different from person to person, such as, how many times this year you have already been allowed in on a visitor visa, the length of time you last visited.

The K1 process is clear indication your intent is evental immigration so if the POE does have you on file (their radar screen) they may not allow you in, otherwise as someone else stated, why would anyone want to go through the K1 process at all.

If they do not let you in, you can guarantee that they will place you in a cell until the next fight home and use your return ticket. You may also be asked about your entry attempt at your K1 interview.

You are taking a big risk, I suggest that you call USCIS for information and not take the word of a few people that managed to slip through the process undetected. And before anyone responds to this comment, I am not suggesting any illegal intent on the parties that did manage to come for a visit.. and I am making myself clear that only the POE can approve the entry even if you speak with the USCIS helpdesk and they tell you it will be ok, it is still up to the POE.

Good Luck, will be waiting to know if you made it passed POE, so please post your experience.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Darth Homer is an unknown quantity at this point

I visited my fiancee around three weeks before my K1 visa was issued. I had no problems either at the POE or later at my interview. I brought plenty of evidence of my intent to return but was not asked for any of it. If your intentions are genuine, there is no reason not to visit the U.S. while the visa process is underway.

Last edited by Darth Homer; Feb 18th 2005 at 7:21 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:24 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1Duckie
I hope the surprise is not on you.

I cannot tell you wheter or not you will be allowed in. I can only wish you luck and tell you it is up to the POE. A return ticket is not necessarily proof to them that you will be returning.

Being allowed in may different from person to person, such as, how many times this year you have already been allowed in on a visitor visa, the length of time you last visited.

The K1 process is clear indication your intent is evental immigration so if the POE does have you on file (their radar screen) they may not allow you in, otherwise as someone else stated, why would anyone want to go through the K1 process at all.

If they do not let you in, you can guarantee that they will place you in a cell until the next fight home and use your return ticket. You may also be asked about your entry attempt at your K1 interview.

You are taking a big risk, I suggest that you call USCIS for information and not take the word of a few people that managed to slip through the process undetected. And before anyone responds to this comment, I am not suggesting any illegal intent on the parties that did manage to come for a visit.. and I am making myself clear that only the POE can approve the entry even if you speak with the USCIS helpdesk and they tell you it will be ok, it is still up to the POE.

Good Luck, will be waiting to know if you made it passed POE, so please post your experience.
I did it twice coll, go see her you will be fine. Is his intent not to do it the legal way????????

alan
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:26 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I just have to say, sad as your story is.. The system has been this way for a long time before you got involved in it.. and will still be the same long after you are done ...
your repitious story of how hard done by you are.. is getting boring ... We know your problems ..you are not the first here with that problem. and no doubt not the last.. but please !! there is nothing we can do about it ..
we will cheer on your sucesses and commiserate with your bad days...Just please do not go on and on ..with the same thing..

Now give me a ciggie...
You just somehow manage to find the right words at the right time.

No smoking Ray, you are stronger. ( for me ) 8 months on the 15th it gets easier, slightly, but easier.

alan
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

lele is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marlowe66
lele: You'll be quite happy to know that due to the death of my husband's father, he had to exit the country in violation of his K-1 - and we are now split up indefinitely.

We applied for the process just like everyone else, and the only reason it went quickly was because I used wonderful resources like this one to find out what other couples who have been through the K-1 process recommend. I suggest you do the same, and try to not to alienate and offend people who only want to share their advice for the purpose of helping you.

I am sorry that your husband's father died. That is terrible. I hope that he and you and other family members are alright.

I am really sad to hear this and if there is anything I can do to help, please do not hesitate to ask...

As for the process, I welcome constructive help and will support it.

However, when people *deny* the *facts* that the consulate in China, in addition to a few other nations, causes US citizens and their spouses or fiancees to face enormous added burdens, added hoops, VOs who often refuse to even look at evidence brought, and a host of other issues, and that my current timeline is faster than the average for the last 2 years worth of people (only about a 7.0 month wait due to GUZ), then I consider it a personal attack.

If you have any suggestions about how we can find a way to be present for our interviews, as compared to being denied entry to the consulate, so that way we will not be forced to have our papers ignored and then asked to make a 5 minute long video tape in VHS format of us talking Chinese together while simultaneously writing the characters of what we are saying, then I would be most grateful for the advice! If you know of any way that we could get the people at the consulate to give us a similar turn-over time as those of people wanting to adopt (they only need a 2-week turnover time, but the K1's take about 8 months, and the CR and IR take longer), then that would be fantastic! If you knew of a way that we could actually just send a phone call to the consulate, which would reach a human voice who would not immediately hang up on us, I would love to hear it. If you knew of a direct email address, which would be answered by an actual VO in grammatically correct English, I would be very thankful too.

However, baring this, at least people who would be willing to acknowledge that the system is not far, and it it is biased against people from certain countries, would be a start.

I wish you well with your situation.

Last edited by lele; Feb 23rd 2005 at 1:41 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray

Now give me a ciggie...

Ray,

Your words are wise!

If at least we can all laugh and smile, we will not be so depressed.

I finally got around to writing some fun stuff and really helping out the people at work today. Soon, I may even get the time to help people here to smile some more.

And if anyone here is going through China and is early in the process, I can help you with some ways to speed everything up (it is called: get married in Hong Kong or Thailand instead, (both of which are easy for Chinese passport holders to visit) and file through there!).
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Marlowe66
lele: think my post crossed paths with yours. Read your first post as mean. I see now you're just frustrated. I really sympathize. I've got no idea why the process has to be so screwed up - and am as pissed off as you are. Good luck in managing it!

Nora

I wish you the best of luck with your situation and really hope that you can have a chance to spend time together and share some exciting stories!

Yes, I am so frustrated, although she just got done at the hospital and had a very professional appointment there (we choose to pay extra money to have it done in Beijing to avoid the horror stories of the cheap places in Guangzhou where doctors will write up patients as having HIV to get a little extra bribe money)...

But, on the bright side, I have many sunny pictures and have traveled places I may have never otherwise seen in China and in Asia and have seen things older than anywhere I have seen before in Europe (including Roman architecture), and so much more old than the US that it has changed my ability to comprehend the past.

Thanks, and I will try my best to make people happy too.