Reload this Page >

Visiting girlfriend in USA - passport flagged, opinions please

Visiting girlfriend in USA - passport flagged, opinions please

Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

bluegooseuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Visiting girlfriend in USA - passport flagged, opinions please

Hi,

I thought that there maybe some people on here who have gone through similar experiences who could offer helpful advice or opinions.

Im visiting my American girlfriend in Dallas for the second time in 12 months. The first time i stayed for 6weeks from november onwards. 4 months has passed since my last visit and i have booked tickets to go and visit again for 8 weeks from march until may.

Last time i entered i stupidly lied about having a job which i had infact just quit in the uk and was caught and subsequently my passport was flagged after around an hour of questioning. Whilst i fully expect to recieve a full questioning this time i have a few questions.

1. What should i say when they inevitably ask if the girl im staying with is my girlfriend? Should i maintain she is just a friend like last time (although they clearly didnt believe me)? I prefer to tell the truth but it feels like they are looking for any excuse so is it wise?

2. Does my passport being flagged just put my chances of getting in down to 0% before i even start talking?

3. Am i right in thinking that the opinion that getting in via the north east airports is normally harder? Im flying from heathrow to DFW.

My information and ties if asked are:

- Over £4000 for travel expenses, will provide bank statement.
- I'm a freelance web designer based in UK with online site and business cards etc which can be shown.
- Proof of ownership of a my car.

Any other suggestions for proof of ties are welcome. I don't own a house unfortunately.

Thanks for any responses.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting girlfriend in USA - passport flagged, opinions please

Originally Posted by bluegooseuk
1. What should i say when they inevitably ask if the girl im staying with is my girlfriend? Should i maintain she is just a friend like last time (although they clearly didnt believe me)? I prefer to tell the truth but it feels like they are looking for any excuse so is it wise?
ALWAYS tell the truth, NEVER lie. That said, you should only answer the specific question asked. But if they ask specifically if she's your girlfriend, and she is, then the answer is "yes".

2. Does my passport being flagged just put my chances of getting in down to 0% before i even start talking?
No.

3. Am i right in thinking that the opinion that getting in via the north east airports is normally harder? Im flying from heathrow to DFW.
Not to my knowledge, no.

My information and ties if asked are:

- Over £4000 for travel expenses, will provide bank statement.
- I'm a freelance web designer based in UK with online site and business cards etc which can be shown.
- Proof of ownership of a my car.

Any other suggestions for proof of ties are welcome. I don't own a house unfortunately.
Whatever you can show that indicates that you MUST return to the UK, and that you will NOT remain in the USA.

Being a freelance, online, web designer doesn't help your situation, as it means you don't necessarily have to return to the UK (i.e. you can work from anywhere in the world).

Owning a car doesn't do much for you, since you can make the car payment (if you have one) from anywhere in the world.

Having your own home, or an employer that needs you back at the office, or being in school and having to be back in class would be great, but you don't have those....so you can only show what you have.

Rene
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Don't lie, but don't volunteer any info either, just directly answer what they ask.

If they ask you if you have the time, and you've got a watch, the answer is "yes", it's not to give them the time.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:54 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

How did they catch you in your lie re: the job?
I'm just curious.

Did you slip up or let something slip out? I, myself, am a terrible liar. I blush like a belisha beacon.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't lie, but don't volunteer any info either, just directly answer what they ask.

If they ask you if you have the time, and you've got a watch, the answer is "yes", it's not to give them the time.
Thanks for the reply.

Well that suits me to the ground, i was too friendly last time there is no doubt. Naively it didnt even occur to me that i would have trouble getting in. Last time they asked me over and over "are you here with romantic intentions?". I think the answer would be yes but its so oddly phrased who knows.

@Octang Frye

Its actually embarrassing and totally my fault. They went through absolutely everything i owned in my suitcase, my laptop bag and my hand luggage, reading every scrap of paper. The officer was tipping it all over the table and just when i thought everything was out of my bag my "sorry you're leaving us" card from work fell onto the table. Needless to say at that point i had resigned myself to the fact i wasnt getting in. Luckily he believed everything else i said and told me not to lie in the future. I was very lucky i think. I too am terrible at lying.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply.

Well that suits me to the ground, i was too friendly last time there is no doubt. Naively it didnt even occur to me that i would have trouble getting in. Last time they asked me over and over "are you here with romantic intentions?". I think the answer would be yes but its so oddly phrased who knows.

@Octang Frye

Its actually embarrassing and totally my fault. They went through absolutely everything i owned in my suitcase, my laptop bag and my hand luggage, reading every scrap of paper. The officer was tipping it all over the table and just when i thought everything was out of my bag my "sorry you're leaving us" card from work fell onto the table. Needless to say at that point i had resigned myself to the fact i wasnt getting in. Luckily he believed everything else i said and told me not to lie in the future. I was very lucky i think. I too am terrible at lying.
You got very lucky.

Your credibility has already been shot. You would do best to try and restore that. If you have future aspirations of relocating to the US, especially through this relationship, you don't want to get caught lying to Border Patrol.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
You got very lucky.

Your credibility has already been shot. You would do best to try and restore that. If you have future aspirations of relocating to the US, especially through this relationship, you don't want to get caught lying to Border Patrol.
Indeed i did, clearly, i wouldn't be making this effort to visit if we didnt see something more long term which may result in me relocating to the US. I just want to do everything properly and honestly, the only reason i lied last time was i read horror stories and advice saying you wont get in without a job back in UK. The whole ordeal still makes me feel nervous now, it wasnt pleasant.

Long term we will have to look into a K1 visa which is another thing i have many questions on but i suppose that is for another day!

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Oddy is just really niceOddy is just really niceOddy is just really niceOddy is just really niceOddy is just really niceOddy is just really niceOddy is just really niceOddy is just really nice

My advice to you is to be honest, and just tell the truth..if you are working, fine..otherwise..tell it as is.
I had the same problem once visiting my then girlfriend in Ohio. Came in trough Dulles, and got sent to secondary due to being in the states a smidgen too often. Just got a 1 min interview, and was told to continue onwards to the heartland of America.
Visited my new " girlfriend" in Denver last month, came in trough Toronto, and was admitted straight away, so obviously being truthful and not skirting any issues did help.
(Btw..when looking at plane tickets to the States these days, Air Canada very often comes out as the cheapest option when travelling from Northern Europe..Strange, but interesting fact)
Long May Y`All Run!!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Indeed i did, clearly, i wouldn't be making this effort to visit if we didnt see something more long term which may result in me relocating to the US. I just want to do everything properly and honestly, the only reason i lied last time was i read horror stories and advice saying you wont get in without a job back in UK. The whole ordeal still makes me feel nervous now, it wasnt pleasant.

Long term we will have to look into a K1 visa which is another thing i have many questions on but i suppose that is for another day!

Thanks for your help.
Hello there,

May I perhaps suggest that you opt to visit your girlfriend for rather less than 60 days/2 months.
3-4 weeks would probably go down a lot better at the POE, considering that most Americans are lucky to get 2 weeks of paid holidays per year.

The longer your stay, the more "suspicious" in the eyes of the CBP agents.
Obviously, you almost invariably get a 90 days stay on a VWP entry, but having your return ticket showing a return date within 3-4 weeks after your arrival in the US would likely be a better option than 8 weeks or similar.

Another idea:
Since I take it you´re a resident of the UK, you also have the opportunity of departing from Dublin Airport, which since January 2011 offers full pre-clearance services for all travellers to the US, meaning that you clear immigration and customs for the US at Dublin Airport.
If you for whatever reason should be denied entry, at least you wouldn´t have to wait for your next flight across the "pond" while at worst being temporarily detained overnight courtesy of the CBP.

I´m sorry for perhaps sounding a trifle melodramatic, but very little regarding the entry into the US is as clear cut as we all would prefer it to be....
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lissbovavd
Hello there,

May I perhaps suggest that you opt to visit your girlfriend for rather less than 60 days/2 months.
3-4 weeks would probably go down a lot better at the POE, considering that most Americans are lucky to get 2 weeks of paid holidays per year.

The longer your stay, the more "suspicious" in the eyes of the CBP agents.
Obviously, you almost invariably get a 90 days stay on a VWP entry, but having your return ticket showing a return date within 3-4 weeks after your arrival in the US would likely be a better option than 8 weeks or similar.

Another idea:
Since I take it you´re a resident of the UK, you also have the opportunity of departing from Dublin Airport, which since January 2011 offers full pre-clearance services for all travellers to the US, meaning that you clear immigration and customs for the US at Dublin Airport.
If you for whatever reason should be denied entry, at least you wouldn´t have to wait for your next flight across the "pond" while at worst being temporarily detained overnight courtesy of the CBP.

I´m sorry for perhaps sounding a trifle melodramatic, but very little regarding the entry into the US is as clear cut as we all would prefer it to be....
Thanks for the suggestions,

Sadly i'm already booked and cant afford to change it or rebook and travel from Dublin. If and when i ever return it would be something to consider though.

I understand that visiting for that period of time is more suspicious but if it were a deal breaker they really shouldn't be allowed to offer a 90 day VWP, regardless i am aware it will be harder. The irony is that if i were intent on overstaying surely i would just book for 2 weeks to avoid the suspicion in the first place and almost guarantee myself entry.

I will just have to make sure i cover as many bases as possible, provide a concise itinerary of all the touristy type things i'll be doing over the 8 weeks and sufficient ties back to the UK. Then hope i get an officer who does his job properly and fairly.

Thanks.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Another option would be to have the girlfriend come visit him instead, so he'll have more time in between his visits to the USA.

Rene
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:19 pm

Then hope i get an officer who does his job properly and fairly.
I'd rather hope for an officer who woke up on the right side of the bed that morning, and feels extra happy and lenient.

Rene
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Another option would be to have the girlfriend come visit him instead, so he'll have more time in between his visits to the USA.

Rene
She already has 3 times in the last 14 months including during the christmas break. She is a teacher and therefore not able to leave until the summer.

thanks
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lissbovavd

Another idea:
That's something I've suggested in the past, but it comes with a double edged sword.

Because it's just there and not a long flight back, they do tend to be a lot more strict and more likely to bounce people who might other wise would have been let in.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
That's something I've suggested in the past, but it comes with a double edged sword.

Because it's just there and not a long flight back, they do tend to be a lot more strict and more likely to bounce people who might other wise would have been let in.
Must admit that in my very limited experience i would imagine that is the case. People may just be considered to be "having a go" at getting in.

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.