Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

A visit to London! (long)

A visit to London! (long)

Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

mrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond reputemrpink has a reputation beyond repute
Default A visit to London! (long)

Right, it's about time I sat down and related my experience of getting my K1 visa in London. I've been writing a detailed report in a little notebook, and so far I've filled eleven pages of scribble and I've only gotten as far as the meal at Pizza Hut the night before the interview date. Hmm, maybe a little *less* detail would be in order here!

The journey up to London was made interesting by spectacular railway delays, and the capitol's commuters were having a bad day. My trip went reasonably smoothly, but by the time I made it to Marble Arch I was, um... well let's say I warm and weary for now...

I'd booked a room at the Bryanston Court hotel (http://www.bryanston.activehotels.com/ ) as soon as I'd been notified of the interview date, and by the time I'd walked up to the hotel door I was shattered, but rather pleased to see that the walk to Dr. Phelan's office was going to take me around about 7 seconds (and that's allowing 4 seconds to admire the scenery along the way). The room was comfortable but plain, but I think it was money well spent. After a handful of phonecalls and a quick freshen up I set out to rehearse my walk from the Doctor's office to the Embassy. Nine minutes later I was there. You can't miss it really, it's the big building with the stars and stripes flying from the roof, surrounded by concrete barriers, eight foot metal fences and policemen with machine guns. I chatted to one of them for a few minutes, and felt reassured by the fact that they didn't try to kill me. Gotta love the British Police!
Back to the hotel, and a transatlantic call to an anxious fiancee, until yours truly was all tucked up snug for his beauty sleep.

No time for breakfast at the hotel, they don't start serving 'til 7:30 and I wanted to be up and out of there before then. There's a McDonalds just a couple of minutes away and I filled up there, knowing I would be a long time without food that day.

I arrived outside The Good Doctor's abode at 7:30, third in the line, and with no sign of the door opening. So we stood and waited in the dark, and the dozen or so people waiting by 8:00 all trooped into the waiting room and plopped down onto the seats. A receptionist gave us all pink plastic folders in which we were asked to put our passport, a photograph, the completed and signed medical questionaire, and any other relevant medical documents. This we did, and one by one we were called back to reception. I was 5th to be called.

At reception they asked me for the fee, which I paid in cash, and also to sign my name *across the photograph*, for some reason. Our files were now transferred into a green folder and we were sent downstairs. At the bottom of the stairs there's a clear plastic box on the wall, and we all put our green folders in there and waited to be called once more. Just to one side of the downstairs waiting room is a short corridor to the bathroom. It seems that everyone who has had cause to visit this convenience has found it quite unusual, but I have to say that I was completely shocked! Not gonna say any more on that, you'll have that delight to look forward to when you get there!

The first step was to be steered into a little cubicle for blood to be taken. This was done in seconds, painless and efficient. Back to the waiting room. Next came the X-ray, and I was told to step into a tiny cubicle a bit like a clothes store changing room, and "remove everything from chin to waist, and stop at the skin please". The world's cheeriest X-ray dude rushed us through his process, and suddenly I was back in the cubicle, still shirtless. There must have been perhaps half a dozen little cubicles off of the short corridor, and behind each set of louvred doors stood a visa applicant stripped from the waist up. I had visions of a bell sounding and all the doors opening at once, and everyone racing to the finishing post on the other side of the corridor. Very odd.

Dr. Phelan himself is a genial host, and quickly rushed through the medical checking blood pressure, ears, eyes, throat, tapping the chest as doctors do, and some quizzing about my medical history. The only time my internal alarm bells rang was when he asked me to unzip my trousers so he could have a peek... The cheek, he didn't even buy me dinner first! He did comment on the Stars and Stripes boxer shorts though, and laughingly agreed that yes, he really did see *lots* of applicants in similar apparel! Suddenly the door was opened and I was ushered out, with a rolled up chest X-ray under my arm, and instructions to take it in my hand luggage and present it at the POE. Now onto the consulate! One word of warning here though - whoever is last to leave the office gets to play courier and carry everybodys medical results to the embassy, but has to wait until the doctor's staff have got them all organised and labelled. This can delay you by at least an hour. There's nothing you can do about this, but do be warned... On the way I grabbed another opportunity to wake SG at some ungodly hour and bellow into my phone over the noise of the London traffic!

My invitation letter got me past the first bit of security, which was just like an airport security point with an X-ray for the baggage and a metal-detecting doorway to walk through. Up the steps, in through the front door, and explain to the lady behind the desk why I was there. She took my mobile phone from me and gave me a ticket to reclaim it, and ushered me up the stairs to my right, and into a very humid room. This was the immigrant visa department, and as far as I could see it consisted of 6 counters (very high!) and a hundred or so plastic chairs facing them, arranged like a very cheap cinema. I presented myself to the officer at the first desk, and he took my invitation letter and asked me to sit down for about an hour.

When I was called up to the counter I was asked for my passport, my police certificate, birth certificate, a photo, marriage license and divorce decree from previous marriage, plus photocopies of all the paper documents. Finally he asked for the Affidavit of Support, which certainly seemed to surprise him. Our affidavit was about an inch thick, and he looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "um, yeah, well we're thorough..." He grinned and asked me to take a seat again.

About 15 minutes later I was called to desk 6, which is down the end of the line and screened slightly by a petition. The chap on the other side had a smiling friendly air to him, just perfect for putting people at ease and catching them when they lower their guard. Clever. He was looking through all my paperwork as I stood there, and shot a handful of questions at me in a chatty, not-particularly-interested kind of way. As far as I can remember he spake thusly -

"so, you're marrying an American citizen then, excellent.... How did you meet?

How long have you known her?

Do you have a place to stay when you get there?

Does she own this place, or is it rented or something?

What does she do for a living?

Have you set a wedding date?

Where will you be getting married?

Do you have a job lined up out there?"

Then he seemed to remember something quite important, and said "Oh, I should have sworn you in"!

Raised right hand, and swore an oath that I can't quite remember word for word but was something along the lines of "I'm not lying, those docs aren't fake, and I'm a good boy honest". Then came the part he seemed to enjoy the most.... "So, are you ready for the moment of truth???"

(gulp)

He slid one piece of paper across the desk to me... one of the ones I'd filled in and returned with the Packet 3 documents. I had to write my beloved's name next to where it said "and I am free to marry ___________" and then sign below it. There was a satisfying thunk of a rubber stamp, and that was it, all approved! We were both grinning like idiots and reached over and shook my hand and said Congratulations, and I thanked him profusely. All that time of waiting, the cursing and swearing at NSC, the endless pieces of paper, and it was all done!

He told me to come back at 12:30 to collect my visa, and that I needn't go through security or wait in line, just to come right in and collect it. Time to phone SG again, who was doing a good job of staying alert and supportive despite total sleep deprivation. I walked out through the gardens next door and found a place for a cheap meal, and got back at around 12:15, only to find that they'd called my name out five minutes earlier! Not a problem though... I just walked up to the nearest free counter and the officer gave me my passport back, with the K1 visa filling the whole of the page, my photo printed on the page and surrounded by colourful sparkly ink! Oh what a moment that was! He gave me my vaccination checklist, a small printed word of advice about the K1 visa, printed in 1999 and quite out of date, and the famous big brown envelope (which is actually yellow, and covered in sticky tape). Finally I was free to go, and face the long walk back to the hotel to collect my overnight bag, and then on to the station and finally home, by which time I was just shattered. What a day... Oh, and another call to my beautiful fiancee, who was beside me every step of the way and without whose help and support I wouldn't be where I am today. Honey, I love you.

Mr Pink
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:25 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A visit to London! (long)

Oh bless your little hearts. I could cry and I'm a tough old cookie. I'm so pleased for you both. Loads of love from me and him.
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Pink -

That is wonderful!!

I enjoyed reading that almost as much as one of my own posts.

I'm so happy you had a pleasant interview day. SecretGarden and I once discussed how things seem to balance out for people. I had a relatively painless experience at the service center here in the U.S., but had trouble w/ the consulate. You guys had just the opposite. It is all working out wonderfully for all of us now. I couldn't be more pleased.

((((((((((HUGS TO SG & MRP))))))))))

Leslie
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:53 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to turn in but I just wanted to say again how very happy I am for you both.

And a big special thanks to you both for everything. Enjoy the celebrations and remember to keep the corks!
Old Jan 6th 2004, 11:56 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

[i] and the famous big brown envelope (which is actually yellow, and covered in sticky tape).
Mr Pink

Oh yes, I forgot this part. Khalid went to great lengths to inform me that the envelope is yellow not brown. He was looking everywhere for a brown envelope. You see, I had warned him extensively about how never ever never, not if your life depends on it, shall you ever open the brown envelope. So I guess he felt pretty smug telling me the envelope was actually yellow.

Leslie
Old Jan 7th 2004, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

JanFree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mrpink
Right, it's about time I sat down and related my experience of getting my K1 visa in London. I've been writing a detailed report in a little notebook, and so far I've filled eleven pages of scribble and I've only gotten as far as the meal at Pizza Hut the night before the interview date. Hmm, maybe a little *less* detail would be in order here!

The journey up to London was made interesting by spectacular railway delays, and the capitol's commuters were having a bad day. My trip went reasonably smoothly, but by the time I made it to Marble Arch I was, um... well let's say I warm and weary for now...

I'd booked a room at the Bryanston Court hotel (http://www.bryanston.activehotels.com/ ) as soon as I'd been notified of the interview date, and by the time I'd walked up to the hotel door I was shattered, but rather pleased to see that the walk to Dr. Phelan's office was going to take me around about 7 seconds (and that's allowing 4 seconds to admire the scenery along the way). The room was comfortable but plain, but I think it was money well spent. After a handful of phonecalls and a quick freshen up I set out to rehearse my walk from the Doctor's office to the Embassy. Nine minutes later I was there. You can't miss it really, it's the big building with the stars and stripes flying from the roof, surrounded by concrete barriers, eight foot metal fences and policemen with machine guns. I chatted to one of them for a few minutes, and felt reassured by the fact that they didn't try to kill me. Gotta love the British Police!
Back to the hotel, and a transatlantic call to an anxious fiancee, until yours truly was all tucked up snug for his beauty sleep.

No time for breakfast at the hotel, they don't start serving 'til 7:30 and I wanted to be up and out of there before then. There's a McDonalds just a couple of minutes away and I filled up there, knowing I would be a long time without food that day.

I arrived outside The Good Doctor's abode at 7:30, third in the line, and with no sign of the door opening. So we stood and waited in the dark, and the dozen or so people waiting by 8:00 all trooped into the waiting room and plopped down onto the seats. A receptionist gave us all pink plastic folders in which we were asked to put our passport, a photograph, the completed and signed medical questionaire, and any other relevant medical documents. This we did, and one by one we were called back to reception. I was 5th to be called.

At reception they asked me for the fee, which I paid in cash, and also to sign my name *across the photograph*, for some reason. Our files were now transferred into a green folder and we were sent downstairs. At the bottom of the stairs there's a clear plastic box on the wall, and we all put our green folders in there and waited to be called once more. Just to one side of the downstairs waiting room is a short corridor to the bathroom. It seems that everyone who has had cause to visit this convenience has found it quite unusual, but I have to say that I was completely shocked! Not gonna say any more on that, you'll have that delight to look forward to when you get there!

The first step was to be steered into a little cubicle for blood to be taken. This was done in seconds, painless and efficient. Back to the waiting room. Next came the X-ray, and I was told to step into a tiny cubicle a bit like a clothes store changing room, and "remove everything from chin to waist, and stop at the skin please". The world's cheeriest X-ray dude rushed us through his process, and suddenly I was back in the cubicle, still shirtless. There must have been perhaps half a dozen little cubicles off of the short corridor, and behind each set of louvred doors stood a visa applicant stripped from the waist up. I had visions of a bell sounding and all the doors opening at once, and everyone racing to the finishing post on the other side of the corridor. Very odd.

Dr. Phelan himself is a genial host, and quickly rushed through the medical checking blood pressure, ears, eyes, throat, tapping the chest as doctors do, and some quizzing about my medical history. The only time my internal alarm bells rang was when he asked me to unzip my trousers so he could have a peek... The cheek, he didn't even buy me dinner first! He did comment on the Stars and Stripes boxer shorts though, and laughingly agreed that yes, he really did see *lots* of applicants in similar apparel! Suddenly the door was opened and I was ushered out, with a rolled up chest X-ray under my arm, and instructions to take it in my hand luggage and present it at the POE. Now onto the consulate! One word of warning here though - whoever is last to leave the office gets to play courier and carry everybodys medical results to the embassy, but has to wait until the doctor's staff have got them all organised and labelled. This can delay you by at least an hour. There's nothing you can do about this, but do be warned... On the way I grabbed another opportunity to wake SG at some ungodly hour and bellow into my phone over the noise of the London traffic!

My invitation letter got me past the first bit of security, which was just like an airport security point with an X-ray for the baggage and a metal-detecting doorway to walk through. Up the steps, in through the front door, and explain to the lady behind the desk why I was there. She took my mobile phone from me and gave me a ticket to reclaim it, and ushered me up the stairs to my right, and into a very humid room. This was the immigrant visa department, and as far as I could see it consisted of 6 counters (very high!) and a hundred or so plastic chairs facing them, arranged like a very cheap cinema. I presented myself to the officer at the first desk, and he took my invitation letter and asked me to sit down for about an hour.

When I was called up to the counter I was asked for my passport, my police certificate, birth certificate, a photo, marriage license and divorce decree from previous marriage, plus photocopies of all the paper documents. Finally he asked for the Affidavit of Support, which certainly seemed to surprise him. Our affidavit was about an inch thick, and he looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "um, yeah, well we're thorough..." He grinned and asked me to take a seat again.

About 15 minutes later I was called to desk 6, which is down the end of the line and screened slightly by a petition. The chap on the other side had a smiling friendly air to him, just perfect for putting people at ease and catching them when they lower their guard. Clever. He was looking through all my paperwork as I stood there, and shot a handful of questions at me in a chatty, not-particularly-interested kind of way. As far as I can remember he spake thusly -

"so, you're marrying an American citizen then, excellent.... How did you meet?

How long have you known her?

Do you have a place to stay when you get there?

Does she own this place, or is it rented or something?

What does she do for a living?

Have you set a wedding date?

Where will you be getting married?

Do you have a job lined up out there?"

Then he seemed to remember something quite important, and said "Oh, I should have sworn you in"!

Raised right hand, and swore an oath that I can't quite remember word for word but was something along the lines of "I'm not lying, those docs aren't fake, and I'm a good boy honest". Then came the part he seemed to enjoy the most.... "So, are you ready for the moment of truth???"

(gulp)

He slid one piece of paper across the desk to me... one of the ones I'd filled in and returned with the Packet 3 documents. I had to write my beloved's name next to where it said "and I am free to marry ___________" and then sign below it. There was a satisfying thunk of a rubber stamp, and that was it, all approved! We were both grinning like idiots and reached over and shook my hand and said Congratulations, and I thanked him profusely. All that time of waiting, the cursing and swearing at NSC, the endless pieces of paper, and it was all done!

He told me to come back at 12:30 to collect my visa, and that I needn't go through security or wait in line, just to come right in and collect it. Time to phone SG again, who was doing a good job of staying alert and supportive despite total sleep deprivation. I walked out through the gardens next door and found a place for a cheap meal, and got back at around 12:15, only to find that they'd called my name out five minutes earlier! Not a problem though... I just walked up to the nearest free counter and the officer gave me my passport back, with the K1 visa filling the whole of the page, my photo printed on the page and surrounded by colourful sparkly ink! Oh what a moment that was! He gave me my vaccination checklist, a small printed word of advice about the K1 visa, printed in 1999 and quite out of date, and the famous big brown envelope (which is actually yellow, and covered in sticky tape). Finally I was free to go, and face the long walk back to the hotel to collect my overnight bag, and then on to the station and finally home, by which time I was just shattered. What a day... Oh, and another call to my beautiful fiancee, who was beside me every step of the way and without whose help and support I wouldn't be where I am today. Honey, I love you.

Mr Pink
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much for the great details. My husband will be doing his interview soon in London so he will be delighted to hear of your experience....Bet he'll want some of those undies too..!!!
All the best wishes for you and SG. I've followed your case too so I know the strain of this being lifted off the two of you must be absolutely fantastic.
You're on your way now!!!
Jane and Stewart....
Old Jan 7th 2004, 4:09 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mrpink
Hi:

Its been nearly 10 years since I've actually seen a "brown envelope" -- believe me, they actually used to be green. BTW, the "green card" finally got some green back in it -- they were not green for many many years.

BTW, that site on Grosvenor square is the oldest site on the planet continuously occupied by an Embassy of the United States of America, having been chosen by John Adams when he first became the first US Ambassador to the Court of Saint James. Before presenting his credentials at that time, his last contact with the British had been on a truce mission outside of New York during the revolution. At that time, his name was on the a list of Americans who would most definately be hung when the British put down the revolution.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 6:30 am
Boise, ID

katie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant futurekatie4998 has a brilliant future

Wow, Mr Pink...what a wonderfully detailed and entertaining report! I'm so glad it went so smoothly for ya and that you were thoughtful enough to keep in regular contact with your (no doubt stressed) fiancee I'm sure she appreciated the action, even in the depths of her sleep deprivation Congrats on a successful and painless interview...and i'm glad the Stars & Stripes underwear were a hit

Katie
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:07 pm
WTF?

Originally posted by katie4998
Congrats on a successful and painless interview...and i'm glad the Stars & Stripes underwear were a hit

Katie

I was glad to hear they were boxers and not a thong!! :scared:
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:11 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by Leslie66
I was glad to hear they were boxers and not a thong!! :scared:
I think it was matching garter and nipple tassles that sealed it.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:23 pm
WTF?

Originally posted by sibsie
I think it was matching garter and nipple tassles that sealed it.
Sibs!!

You brazen hussy!!

I think Mr Pink will be turning into Mr Red when he reads this.

Leslie
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:26 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Leslie66
Sibs!!

You brazen hussy!!

I think Mr Pink will be turning into Mr Red when he reads this.

Leslie
So is SecretGarden!

Yes, this is just like you two to take something so nice and pure and turn it into raunch.

Hugs,
~SG
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:29 pm
C.G.D.S

It's given me some great ideas for my own interview. I'll have one Union Jack nipple tassle, one Irish one, Canadian knickers and a Spanish garter.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:35 pm
WTF?

Originally posted by sibsie
It's given me some great ideas for my own interview. I'll have one Union Jack nipple tassle, one Irish one, Canadian knickers and a Spanish garter.

Well you'll probably get offered something.

But it may not be a visa.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 2:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mr Pink... In you we are well pleased.... and I am sure Mr Wilkinson will offer his congrats later...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.