Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Which visas..we're so confused :(

Which visas..we're so confused :(

Old May 13th 2008, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Widgettte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which visas..we're so confused :(

I agree it's a big step, but it's like someone posted before, it makes you look them in the eye and say 'is this it'...

I know his medical won't be cheap, and I understand that, but if i have to work 3 jobs for him to have it, i'll do it.
Old May 13th 2008, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
The fact that he wants you to live in the UK does not bode well for him coming to the US. I'd also have a guess at saying medical insurance may not be as straight forward/cheap depending on his disability.

Marriage may be a big step but I'd say it's no bigger than living in another country knowing very few people.

he wants me to return temporarily under the previous understanding that we both thought that it could take over a year for a spouses visa and that he'd have to return to the uk after marriage
Old May 13th 2008, 3:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Widgettte
let me double check, fiance's visa..might take 10 months to process..then within 90 days of being here on his 6 months visa we wed, which then he's in the usa, he doesn't need to return to the uk, but we do need to fill out loads of paperwork for him to live and work etc here in the usa?...i think my brain just exploded lol
The fiance visa takes about 8 to 10 months to process, yes. Once he receives the K-1 visa, it's valid for 6 months. Once he enters the USA, the visa is useless anymore, so never mind the validity of it after that.

Once he enters the USA, he has to marry you within 90 days. And then yes, there's a boatload of paperwork to fill out so that he can live and work here forever.

Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The fiance visa takes about 8 to 10 months to process, yes. Once he receives the K-1 visa, it's valid for 6 months. Once he enters the USA, the visa is useless anymore, so never mind the validity of it after that.

Once he enters the USA, he has to marry you within 90 days. And then yes, there's a boatload of paperwork to fill out so that he can live and work here forever.

Rene
Rene, i could hug you to death right now!!!

the decisions that we have to make is going to be so much easier now i could dance!!! lol
Old May 13th 2008, 3:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it's a big step, but it's like someone posted before, it makes you look them in the eye and say 'is this it'...

I know his medical won't be cheap, and I understand that, but if i have to work 3 jobs for him to have it, i'll do it.
You will have to fill out an Affidavit of Support for him, form I-134 for the fiance visa, which is not a big deal, and then I-864 for his adjustment of status in the USA.

You might want to go to www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, I-864, and read all about it. It's a binding contract between you and the US government, and divorce does NOT release you of the obligations. First, you have to meet the income qualifications (found on form I-864P), and then you have to decide if you want to be on the hook for him financially, potentially forever.

It's really something serious to consider, especially if you're jumpy about marriage commitments. The I-864 commitment is even longer than the marriage one.

Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 3:41 pm

Rene, i could hug you to death right now!!!
Glad to help! HUGS!
Old May 13th 2008, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Glad to help! HUGS!
Now that this is formaly a Marriage-Based Question, I'm going to move it to the Marriage-Based Forum.

Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

If you do not have a job that can provide him with medical insurance, until he gets a job that includes group medical insurance, he might be completely unable to get insurance.

Depending upon the disability, the problem might be not the cost of medical insurance, but that no company might grant him an individual policy at any cost. And even if they did, they very likely might not cover a pre-existing condition for a year.

A further big problem is that individual policies tend to not be willing to grant a policy for someone who does not have a green card (whcih he will not for 6 months... or a year... or.... ).

I think the medical insurance issue *might* be bigger than you think - it is not really the cost that's the major problem, although that could also be a huge problem.

Some states have insurance policies for those who are otherwise uninsurable, but they might not issue a policy without a green card also.

You can look into buying insurance in the UK to cover him for some period of time, if you can get it - again it will probably depend upon the nature of his disability.