Wikiposts

Visa newbie

Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

amancalledsun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa newbie

Hello,

I'm just spending some time reading up on visa's... It's a complete minefield!

Basically, we got married last month whilst visiting Las Vegas. She's an American, i'm a Brit. Im hoping to move over to the US to be with her.

Just wanted to see if somebody could put me on the right path! I assume I should be applying for some sort of Spouse Visa? Which form to start with? And does she start the petition? I could really do with a bit of a quick guide or a process if possible.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:22 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa newbie

At the top of this forum, there are "wiki links."
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You are currently where?
And she is currently where?
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Im back in Uk now and she is over there. We got married whilst I was on a visit there. Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2011, 10:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amancalledsun
Im back in Uk now and she is over there. We got married whilst I was on a visit there. Thanks
Your visa is CR1. Start here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:50 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, when I was in practice, I would often use the "minefield" analogy.

Good luck.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 11:57 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I just find it astounding that in the 21st Century - with instant access to global information, 24/7, on a multitude of platforms - that an international couple wouldn't even think about the word "visa" prior to marriage. What happens if the non-USC spouse got picked up a couple of times for smoking joints at age 19 and now finds himself inadmissable to the US as a result of a CIMT conviction, possible addiction issues and, perhaps, willful misrepresentation on ESTA? He's on one continent... the spouse is on another... and that's the end of the story! Astounding.

Note - I doubt this is the OP's situation, but the long-time members here have seen stranger things happen.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Nov 5th 2011 at 11:59 am.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:04 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I just find it astounding that in the 21st Century - with instant access to global information, 24/7, on a multitude of platforms - that an international couple wouldn't even think about the word "visa" prior to marriage. What happens if the non-USC spouse got picked up a couple of times for smoking joints at age 19 and now finds himself inadmissable to the US as a result of a CIMT conviction, possible addiction issues and, perhaps, willful misrepresentation on ESTA? He's on one continent... the spouse is on another... and that's the end of the story! Astounding.

Note - I doubt this is the OP's situation, but the long-time members here have seen stranger things happen.

Ian
Totally OT -- In my time here, I had gotten the idea that smoking a little weed is no big deal in the UK. However, in reading about the "MofMK" stuff originating from the UK, it seems that I was wrong -- a lot of stuff about "AK" being a "drug addict."

[I should watch my use of acronyms and abbreviations -- from my army days, "AK" was a particular Soviet weapon. Also, when I mentioned that there was no developed "D & C" for the M-16, a physician in that conversation gagged on her wine. ].
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I just find it astounding that in the 21st Century - with instant access to global information, 24/7, on a multitude of platforms - that an international couple wouldn't even think about the word "visa" prior to marriage.
In fairness to the OP he did say that they got married in Las Vegas and it appears (or, at least, so I am told) that not all Las Vegas weddings are the culmination of months of careful planning ...
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
In fairness to the OP he did say that they got married in Las Vegas and it appears (or, at least, so I am told) that not all Las Vegas weddings are the culmination of months of careful planning ...
Well... that's true enough!

Ian
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and also full credit to the OP for returning to the UK and trying to figure out how to do this properly ...
Old Nov 5th 2011, 12:39 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Totally OT -- In my time here, I had gotten the idea that smoking a little weed is no big deal in the UK. However, in reading about the "MofMK" stuff originating from the UK, it seems that I was wrong -- a lot of stuff about "AK" being a "drug addict."

[I should watch my use of acronyms and abbreviations -- from my army days, "AK" was a particular Soviet weapon. Also, when I mentioned that there was no developed "D & C" for the M-16, a physician in that conversation gagged on her wine. ].
Pilot goes about a mile in vessel (7)
Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Just to be clear, my wife sends off just the i-130 form initially? Do we pay the fee with this or do they request this after?

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2011, 4:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amancalledsun
Just to be clear, my wife sends off just the i-130 form initially? Do we pay the fee with this or do they request this after?

Thanks
Go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-130. Read the I-130 instructions found there. The answers to your questions are in the I-130 instructions.

Hint....it's not "just" the I-130 form. There are some things that need to go along with it.

Rene