Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Very interesting article re immigration - have a look

Wikiposts

Very interesting article re immigration - have a look

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very interesting article re immigration - have a look

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Personally, I preferred AINL.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 4:43 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by HunterGreen
LOL Yeah, I thought that too!!!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 5:30 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsLondon
I believe 'Maze' refers to the Maze (so-called) prison, where a lot of IRA terrorists (either convicted or suspected) were held.
I have to agree with others that a terrorist is a terrorist, whether it be Al Queda or IRA. A convicted attempted murderer would not be allowed in the USA as a legal immigrant (like a spouse for eg) so why should he be allowed as an asylum seeker? If he really felt his life was in danger (sounds like this was mainly due to his IRA activities) he could have gone to live in the UK or if he didn't like that option, anywhere in Europe. He did not 'need' to claim asylum anywhere.

Thanks for explaining MrsLondon!!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 5:35 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You are correct on the "Maze". There had been an IRA breakout from the prison.

Doherty's case involved both extradition and deportation. There USED to be a "political offense" exception to the US-UK extradition treaty -- which was negotiated out of the treaty while Doherty's case was pending. Also, Eire and UK reached an extradition treaty while Doherty's case was pending. So this, in part caused lots of the procedural loops in his case.

I have not read McAllister's case -- but I'm sure that the Doherty case law came up therein.

Doherty was a Provo. I note that McAllister was a member of the Irish National Liberation Army. INLA is much more violent than the PIRA.

As an aside, for the first 40 years of its existence, AILA was known as the Association of Immigration & Nationality Lawyers or "AINL". There was a lot of dissatisfaction with this acronym and in 1985/86, there was a plebiscite of the members to change the name. The winner was "Immigration & Nationality Lawyers Association" with second place going to "American Immigration Lawyers Association." As all the new "INLA" stuff was being printed up, someone pointed out the OTHER "INLA" and the nature of their philosphy and actions. The Board of Governors held an emergency meeting and adopted the runner up name -- so "AILA" it is.

Personally, I preferred AINL.

I am going to confess you something. The very first time I read one of Mr Udall's post thanking AILA for the reports.. I though AILA was a person LOL
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:47 am
Maryanne Kehoe

It helps to know people!

My Moscow buddy told me to call him if I ever got in trouble over
there-----then said that was one phone call he hopes he never gets! His
SUPERVISOR knows a friend of mine at my hometown Michigan PD (they were
all there on an exchange program several years ago.)

My friend was assinged to the 11-7 shift and told some very funny
stories about being on the "ride along" and coming up to a stopped
car-----in his Moscow PD uniform and the looks on motorists faces
(especially the drunks!)

Re: Very interesting article re immigration - have a look

Group: alt.visa.us.marriage-based Date: Wed, Dec 3, 2003, 11:09am
(EST+5) From: member16161@british_expats.com (dutchman2001nl)
Originally posted by Maryanne Kehoe
Ahhhh, just as I thought (and knowing the Russians, they don't want
those people either, they've got their hands full----this from a buddy
of mine on the Moscow police force who is one of the few that speaks
excellent English, and guess who gets the call when his buddies stop
Americans and there's a language problem.....he's *quite* busy!)
You got buddies at the American border AND the Moscow police force....
WOW !!
--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 11:44 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
I am going to confess you something. The very first time I read one of Mr Udall's post thanking AILA for the reports.. I though AILA was a person LOL
The first time I read your name, I had no idea it realted to South Park. I love that show!