Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Vancouver/Medical Interview

Vancouver/Medical Interview

Old Mar 18th 2002, 7:35 am
Cheryl

Default Vancouver/Medical Interview

I would love to hear from someone who has gone through the Vancouver Consulate and
had their medical done the same day. This is what I planned to do but I'm not sure
now if that will work reading the interview experiences. If most of the interviews
are granted around 2:00pm and I have to pick up my medical results at 2:00pm what do
I do? We're spending so much money already on this that I really didn't want to have
to spend the night in Vancouver. Guess I might have to if there isn't any other
options. The medical is being done by Dr. Ian Morgan of Woking Medical Services.

Thanks, ~*~ Cheryl ~*~

Old Mar 19th 2002, 12:05 am
Franko

Default Re: Vancouver/Medical Interview

Hey there.

I had my medical performed at that location less than two weeks ago... so I can kinda
give you an idea of what goes there.

You show up before 7 am (first come first serve), so the earlier the better
    . You show them your vaccination records, passport and give them three
photos and they will let you fill out a page of questions. They then give you a piece
of paper with a number on it and a sheet with directions on how to get to the lab
where they take your blood (which you do first and the number you get on the piece of
paper decides the order you get your blood taken) and then after they take two vials
of blood you then head over to get your chest x-rays.

The Dr's office will tell you to come back there at 9 am where they start to call
people in for the medical exam. They have two small rooms in there where they tell
you to disrobe and Dr. Morgan will come in and do a quick check of a few things
(there's also another female Dr. there that will check out female patients, but since
I'm male only Dr. Morgan came in). He'll make some small chit chat, check your eyes,
ears, mouth, listen to your heart and lungs, check your reflexes and internal organs
and other things. Takes about 5 minutes or less.

You put your clothes back on and then they will take your height, and weight and do a
quick vision test.

I was the last person to be checked that day (at 10:45) and I was finished by 11 am.
I was told to come back between 1:30 and 2:00 pm where they will hand you your
results and a big honkin chest x-ray. You do not open the results and will take them
to the consulate which is a few blocks away. Probably a good 20 minute brisk walk. If
you let the Dr's office know that you have the interview that day they *should* be
able to give you your results at 1:30 or perhaps even sooner. I got my results at a
bit before
1:30 but I think they took pity on me for being the last person that had the medical
exam and well I was lingering outside staring at them .

I donno if my experience helps you or not but I hope it does . I'd like to be able
to give back to the NG what I can .

Old Mar 19th 2002, 1:35 am
Cmagill

I had my medical the same day. head back to the doctor's office at 1:30. They will
give them early if they are done. Also the consulate is aware of the situation and
you will not have a problem if you get there late. It ia a 10 min or less taxi ride.

Jill "franko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hey there.
    >
    > I had my medical performed at that location less than two weeks ago... so
I
    > can kinda give you an idea of what goes there.
    >
    > You show up before 7 am (first come first serve), so the earlier the
better
    > . You show them your vaccination records, passport and give them three
    > photos and they will let you fill out a page of questions. They then give you a
    > piece of paper with a number on it and a sheet with directions on
how
    > to get to the lab where they take your blood (which you do first and the number you
    > get on the piece of paper decides the order you get your blood taken) and then
    > after they take two vials of blood you then head over to
get
    > your chest x-rays.
    >
    > The Dr's office will tell you to come back there at 9 am where they start
to
    > call people in for the medical exam. They have two small rooms in there where they
    > tell you to disrobe and Dr. Morgan will come in and do a quick check of a few
    > things (there's also another female Dr. there that will
check
    > out female patients, but since I'm male only Dr. Morgan came in). He'll
make
    > some small chit chat, check your eyes, ears, mouth, listen to your heart
and
    > lungs, check your reflexes and internal organs and other things. Takes
about
    > 5 minutes or less.
    >
    > You put your clothes back on and then they will take your height, and
weight
    > and do a quick vision test.
    >
    > I was the last person to be checked that day (at 10:45) and I was finished by 11
    > am. I was told to come back between 1:30 and 2:00 pm where they will hand you your
    > results and a big honkin chest x-ray. You do not open the results and will take
    > them to the consulate which is a few blocks away. Probably a good 20 minute brisk
    > walk. If you let the Dr's office know that you have the interview that day they
    > *should* be able to give you your results at 1:30 or perhaps even sooner. I got my
    > results at a bit before
    > 1:30 but I think they took pity on me for being the last person that had
the
    > medical exam and well I was lingering outside staring at them .
    >
    > I donno if my experience helps you or not but I hope it does . I'd like
to
    > be able to give back to the NG what I can .
    >
    >

TEST--== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =TEST--

Old Mar 19th 2002, 1:35 am
Cheryl

Thanks for all the help (that's for both of you who answered my question).

"Franko" what's with the three pictures? I have never heard anything like that. I've
only heard of having the two pictures for the INS and then your passport photo and
perhaps a drivers license...now that I thought I had everything together I'm ready to
jump off a cliff (lol just teasing...this can be so stressful, just when you think
you got it all down and you're an expert...BAM..your on your butt again). What I
think is great is that you had it done two weeks ago and you're someone who just went
through it recently. How much was the exam if you don't mind me asking. I have heard
$250.00 and $275.00? Did you get your visa? Congrats! Woohooo I'm livin vicariously
through everyone else that gets there's. I can't wait to get mine. I wish the
government would hurry up with my passport and my birth certificate (Ontario). I live
in Prince George, BC (about 500miles north of Vancouver for those who don't know) so
I am at the mercy of the government. I need some Valium...LOL Thanks again, Cheryl

"franko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hey there.
    >
    > I had my medical performed at that location less than two weeks ago... so
I
    > can kinda give you an idea of what goes there.
    >
    > You show up before 7 am (first come first serve), so the earlier the
better
    > . You show them your vaccination records, passport and give them three
    > photos and they will let you fill out a page of questions. They then give you a
    > piece of paper with a number on it and a sheet with directions on
how
    > to get to the lab where they take your blood (which you do first and the number you
    > get on the piece of paper decides the order you get your blood taken) and then
    > after they take two vials of blood you then head over to
get
    > your chest x-rays.
    >
    > The Dr's office will tell you to come back there at 9 am where they start
to
    > call people in for the medical exam. They have two small rooms in there where they
    > tell you to disrobe and Dr. Morgan will come in and do a quick check of a few
    > things (there's also another female Dr. there that will
check
    > out female patients, but since I'm male only Dr. Morgan came in). He'll
make
    > some small chit chat, check your eyes, ears, mouth, listen to your heart
and
    > lungs, check your reflexes and internal organs and other things. Takes
about
    > 5 minutes or less.
    >
    > You put your clothes back on and then they will take your height, and
weight
    > and do a quick vision test.
    >
    > I was the last person to be checked that day (at 10:45) and I was finished by 11
    > am. I was told to come back between 1:30 and 2:00 pm where they will hand you your
    > results and a big honkin chest x-ray. You do not open the results and will take
    > them to the consulate which is a few blocks away. Probably a good 20 minute brisk
    > walk. If you let the Dr's office know that you have the interview that day they
    > *should* be able to give you your results at 1:30 or perhaps even sooner. I got my
    > results at a bit before
    > 1:30 but I think they took pity on me for being the last person that had
the
    > medical exam and well I was lingering outside staring at them .
    >
    > I donno if my experience helps you or not but I hope it does . I'd like
to
    > be able to give back to the NG what I can .

Old Mar 19th 2002, 2:05 am
Franko

I donno why they wanted three pictures but that's what they ask for. The medical exam
cost $275 payable but either money order or cash only. I sure felt like I got my $275
worth *cough cough*

As for the visa I have my interview this Wednesday and well come to find out (talk
about finding out something that sits ya on your butt) that I need to have a letter
of intent from my finacee... so well I've called her at work (she got upset ) and
well she's emailing me a color scan of it tonight. I have old letters from her saying
she can't wait to marry me but well I donno if that's the same thing or not .

So well I hope this Wed. I'll be the proud owner of a K-1 visa. Getting married next
month in TN and well I'm planning on leaving Vancouver on April 5th and driving to
Washington DC where she currently is. I have to much stuff to still do... I hope I
can just keep it all together .

Good luck getting the BC and passport . Hope it comes in a timely manner

Old Mar 19th 2002, 5:05 am
Cheryl

Thanks again and again and again...let me wish you GOOD LUCK!! I'm sure your
interview will be a breeze. I think they make us sweat to weed out the duds...LOL...I
appreciate the help immensely, what would we do without the internet?

When my fiancé filed the I-129F (Petition for Alien Fiancé) he wrote a letter saying
that he was free and willing to marry me and promised to do so when I entered into
the country. It was on the instructions with the application. I think the scanned
thing will be fine. I've been reading a lot of interview experiences at
http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html I pressed the little bit link at the top
that says K-1 Interviews. Then I scrolled down to Vancouver and I got a lot of
insight from reading their experiences and it seems that the consulate is pretty good
as long as you have the essentials together. Don't sweat it. You'll do ok. That's
what I keep telling myself...LOL

Anyway I am off to get three pictures tomorrow. If you have time to write back, could
you please let me know if they have to be identical or a certain size? I have the two
37mm x 37mm that the consulate asks for but that's
it. If they don't have to be specific then I will go to one of those little photo
booths and get my pictures done....hmmm.....hope we still have one of those
here...LOL

Take care and good luck Thanks, Cheryl

"franko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:5Sxl8.31696$%[email protected]...
    > I donno why they wanted three pictures but that's what they ask for. The medical
    > exam cost $275 payable but either money order or cash only. I sure felt like I got
    > my $275 worth *cough cough*
    >
    > As for the visa I have my interview this Wednesday and well come to find
out
    > (talk about finding out something that sits ya on your butt) that I need
to
    > have a letter of intent from my finacee... so well I've called her at work (she got
    > upset ) and well she's emailing me a color scan of it tonight.
I
    > have old letters from her saying she can't wait to marry me but well I
donno
    > if that's the same thing or not .
    >
    > So well I hope this Wed. I'll be the proud owner of a K-1 visa. Getting married
    > next month in TN and well I'm planning on leaving Vancouver on
April
    > 5th and driving to Washington DC where she currently is. I have to much stuff to
    > still do... I hope I can just keep it all together .
    >
    > Good luck getting the BC and passport . Hope it comes in a timely manner
    > .

Old Mar 19th 2002, 6:05 am
Franko

Well they should be roughly 37mm x 37mm... and well you'll still need the two you
have for the INS interview. I think the only requirement is that they be recent... as
for being identical I don't know... I'd have to say no but I'm not sure.

My fiancee has already sent me a .pdf of a letter that she has signed and well I have
everything else... and I've had it for months now... just waiting for this Wed. I'm
not too worried cause I've done my homework (the internet is a valuable resource as
well as this newsgroup!).

We both have been waiting for a couple years now to be together but she was in school
for two of the three years we've known each other and it was getting very expensive
flying back and forth and that's not to mention the phone bills!!!

I'll definitely be making a post after my Wed. interview... gonna take the day off
work and well sleep in so I don't look like a wreck from lack of sleep. I hope the
weather improves!!! I can't believe it's snowing here in the middle of March. First
time I've seen that in the seven years I've lived here.

Take care... good luck with the photos.