UStaxes

Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Englishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud of
Default UStaxes

My wife is in the US and is filing her taxes separately...
Question:
do i need to file taxes too even though i live in the UK?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 10:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UStaxes

Originally Posted by Englishoak
Question:
I don't know that, but just make sure she filed "married, filing separately". Not "single".

Rene
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Englishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud ofEnglishoak has much to be proud of
Default Re: US taxes

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't know that, but just make sure she filed "married, filing separately". Not "single".

Rene
Thanks....one more question: i finally have a sale agreed on my property in the UK..will it effect us regarding US taxes even though its in the UK?
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:32 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Question:
Check with the Inland Revenue (website) for information. It may depend on how much UK? income you have.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks....one more question: i finally have a sale agreed on my property in the UK..will it effect us regarding US taxes even though its in the UK?
Are you a US citizen or a green card holder? If so, you have to file US taxes even though you are abroad. You may not owe any taxes because of the various tax treaties and exemptions but you should still file.

For the sale of the property in the UK -- if you are a USC or GC holder, you have to file US taxes, period. If you are neither but your wife has to file US taxes, and her name is on the deed to the property, then I believe she has to declare her portion of the proceeds of the sale.

Finally your wife may be able to choose to treat you as a US resident for tax purposes even if you are not a US resident for immigration purposes. This may lead to a tax advantage or it may not. She should figure her taxes both ways.

www.irs.gov has a publication just on residents and non-residents and what your responsibilities are. Or your wife should consult a tax preparer/CPA.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hcj1440
Are you a US citizen or a green card holder? If so, you have to file US taxes even though you are abroad. You may not owe any taxes because of the various tax treaties and exemptions but you should still file.

For the sale of the property in the UK -- if you are a USC or GC holder, you have to file US taxes, period. If you are neither but your wife has to file US taxes, and her name is on the deed to the property, then I believe she has to declare her portion of the proceeds of the sale.

Finally your wife may be able to choose to treat you as a US resident for tax purposes even if you are not a US resident for immigration purposes. This may lead to a tax advantage or it may not. She should figure her taxes both ways.

www.irs.gov has a publication just on residents and non-residents and what your responsibilities are. Or your wife should consult a tax preparer/CPA.

I married my US bride in the states,but returned back to the UK without filing paperwork....i have no greencard as i need her to file a K3 to summon me..
Old Jul 6th 2006, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

I married my US bride in the states,but returned back to the UK without filing paperwork....i have no greencard as i need her to file a K3 to summon me..
Then to answer your original questions:
1) do i need to file taxes too even though i live in the UK?
Since you are not a US citizen or an LPR (lawful permanent resident aka "green card holder") yet, you are not required to file US taxes. However, as I said earlier, if it gives your wife a tax advantage, she may choose to have you treated as a US resident for tax purposes. She can find out more about this on the IRS website in the resident/non-resident alien tax publication, or from her tax preparer.

2) i finally have a sale agreed on my property in the UK..will it effect us regarding US taxes even though its in the UK?
I presume the property is in your name only. If your wife does not choose to have you treated as a resident for tax purposes, then you should not be taxed in the US on that sale since you are not (yet) subject to US taxation. If your wife does choose to treat you as a US resident for tax purposes, then you may be subject to US taxation on the proceeds. Best way to find out how it affects her taxes is to do the taxes both ways (you as resident and non-resident) and see which works out better.

The above is "AFAIK" -- please do read the resident/non-resident alien publication on www.irs.gov, it should answer your questions more thoroughly. Also IRS will answer your questions via e-mail or phone; in my experience they were quite helpful.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 12:27 am

Also, if you end up spending more than 180 days in 2006 in the US, you
will also become a resident for tax purposes

hcj1440 wrote:
    > > I married my US bride in the states,but returned back to the UK
    > > without filing paperwork....i have no greencard as i need her to file
    > > a K3 to summon me..
    > Then to answer your original questions:
    > 1) do i need to file taxes too even though i live in the UK?
    > Since you are not a US citizen or an LPR (lawful permanent resident
    > aka "green card holder") yet, you are not required to file US taxes.
    > However, as I said earlier, if it gives your wife a tax advantage,
    > she may choose to have you treated as a US resident for tax purposes.
    > She can find out more about this on the IRS website in the resident/non-
    > resident alien tax publication, or from her tax preparer.
    > 2) i finally have a sale agreed on my property in the UK..will it effect
    > us regarding US taxes even though its in the UK?
    > I presume the property is in your name only. If your wife does not
    > choose to have you treated as a resident for tax purposes, then you
    > should not be taxed in the US on that sale since you are not (yet)
    > subject to US taxation. If your wife does choose to treat you as a
    > US resident for tax purposes, then you may be subject to US taxation
    > on the proceeds. Best way to find out how it affects her taxes is to
    > do the taxes both ways (you as resident and non-resident) and see
    > which works out better.
    > The above is "AFAIK" -- please do read the resident/non-resident alien
    > publication on www.irs.gov, it should answer your questions more
    > thoroughly. Also IRS will answer your questions via e-mail or phone; in
    > my experience they were quite helpful.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Did you ask the same question on June 22 here ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=tax

Question:
Old Jul 7th 2006, 3:08 am
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hcj1440
Then to answer your original questions:
1) do i need to file taxes too even though i live in the UK?
Since you are not a US citizen or an LPR (lawful permanent resident aka "green card holder") yet, you are not required to file US taxes. However, as I said earlier, if it gives your wife a tax advantage, she may choose to have you treated as a US resident for tax purposes. She can find out more about this on the IRS website in the resident/non-resident alien tax publication, or from her tax preparer.
If she files married filing sperate, won't she need a TIN for him as he doesn't have a SSN yet? Could be an issue if she does as he's not there yet.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:05 am
Mrtravel

NC Penguin wrote:

>>My wife is in the US and is filing her taxes separately...
    >>Question:
    >>do i need to file taxes too even though i live in the UK?
    >
    >
    > Check with the Inland Revenue (website) for information. It may depend
    > on how much UK? income you have.

I would also recommend checking the IRS website. You indicated you had
lived in the US, but didn't say when, for how long, or whether you
worked here.