Using a lawyer

Old Feb 15th 2014, 4:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using a lawyer

Originally Posted by kimilseung
It ain't rocket science for most of us with straight forward situations. I don't remember any real stumbling blocks if you encounter any, ask questions here For most people lawyer fees are money down the drain. Different if your case has peculiarities.
Agreed on all points. I completed the forms with my wife's assistance. I'm the immigrant, she's a USC, neither of us are lawyers. We had no problems at all, and in fairness it didn't even occur to us to hire an lawyer (how bad would completing forms have to be that paying a lawyer $2,000+ to help complete them is a sensible idea? ) .... And I hadn't even found BE, so we managed to complete the process with any on-line handholding.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
I'd suggest download the forms from USCIS.gov (start with I-129F and I-134) and have a look through them to see if you feel comfortable with filling them out yourselves.
FIFY!

Ian
Old Feb 15th 2014, 5:16 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

If you have loadsa money, have a hard time filling in forms and are anxiety-ridden, then go ahead and pay for a lawyer.

However, you found this forum, so you're already halfway there...
Old Feb 15th 2014, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Having been through the K1 route myself, I gotta say, it'll be the biggest waste of money going to hire a lawyer. The forms are really straight forward. You just have to take a bit of time to sit down and prepare what you need. Me and my wife actually used a different forum for the process. www.visajourney.com (mods, delete that if I'm not allowed to reference it here). You can download all the forms you need from there along with filled out examples. There's a wealth of info over there. From what I understand, all these lawyers do is just basically proof read your documents before you send them in anyway. Nice work if you can get it!
With regards to the interviews, if you have a genuine relationship, they are a breeze. Mine wasn't even really an interview, it was an informal chat. The impression I got was once you get to that embassy, it's virtually a formality anyway.

Last edited by markonline1; Feb 15th 2014 at 6:40 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond reputeSmudger222 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Correct. I'd suggest download the forms from USCIS.gov (start with I-829F and I-134)
What si I-829F I cant find that one.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger222
What si I-829F I cant find that one.
My bad - I-129F - thanks also to Ian
Old Feb 15th 2014, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
You can download all the forms you need from there along with filled out examples.
People should never (never, ever, ever!) download any forms from any site other than www.uscis.gov or a US government Consulate/Embassy web site.

There's a wealth of info over there.
Sadly, many of the folks posting there give incorrect information - which is why people come here when they want accurate information.

From what I understand, all these lawyers do is just basically proof read your documents before you send them in anyway.
Unfortunately, many don't proofread - and that who do, don't often attempt to verify that the information on the forms is, in fact, accurate. It's always the applicant's responsibility - whether a lawyer is used or not - so it's often easier to simply do the forms yourself.

The impression I got was once you get to that embassy, it's virtually a formality anyway.
With respect, you received an incorrect impression. Getting a family-based visa is almost never a formality.

Ian
Old Feb 15th 2014, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

The links on visajourney take you to the USCIS site. I received nothing but top info from the site whenever I had any sort of questions during the process. Also I don't believe I said getting the visa was a formality. Impression and fact are two completely different things.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 10:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Impression and fact are two completely different things.
If you're acknowledging that your impression might be inaccurate, and therefore misleading, I am mystified as to why you posted it.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you're acknowledging that your impression might be inaccurate, and therefore misleading, I am mystified as to why you posted it.
I was at window 2 for 2 minutes. I was asked a couple of questions, mainly where did you meet, when and where are you looking to get married and how much money do you make in the UK. From the embassy reviews I've read, that is pretty standard for the majority of people. Therefor by the time you get to the embassy, to me the decision seems pretty much made, just crossing the t's and dotting the i's, or pretty much a formality. That's why I wrote that. Is that ok?
Old Feb 15th 2014, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

The links on visajourney take you to the USCIS site.
Well, that's not quite the same thing as what you wrote originally, is it? Thanks for confirming!

I received nothing but top info from the site...
You were lucky!

Ian
Old Feb 16th 2014, 12:02 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

You only need a Lawyer if there is a problem in your situation. Otherwise it is a form filling excerise.

The real question is, do you qualify?
Old Feb 16th 2014, 4:15 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If he's the USC, then the criminal conviction is largely irrelevant (read = he's a USC, so US immigration doesn't really care about his background). If he's the immigrant, then it might be an issue. That'll depend on several things... including the nature of the conviction, the actual charge, whether or not it was a CIMT (hint = Google is your friend), and the punishment that he could have received (not the punishment he actually got, but what he could have received if they decided to throw the book at him).

Ian
The AmCit's criminal record can and often does have an effect on a case. The AmCit's ID is run through the database. It can get interesting to say the least.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 4:17 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The AmCit's criminal record can and often does have an effect on a case. The AmCit's ID is run through the database. It can get interesting to say the least.
Example?
Old Feb 16th 2014, 4:29 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I used to do my own taxes. I feel a lot better having a professional do it. I think the situation is analogous.

Does one "need" an immigration lawyer? Good question. Sometimes it like insurance - a good lawyer will keep it from blowing up if a problem raises its ugly head. Sometimes the simplest case runs into the officer from hell.

Bottom line - decision is yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.