Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Using AP to visit Canada... I-94 question

Using AP to visit Canada... I-94 question

Old Aug 2nd 2001, 7:23 pm
Sweatpea

Hi,

My husband just received is AP today and we are planning to use it to visit Niagara
Falls (Canadian side) this Saturday (returning on Sunday). I did a search of the
archives and found some info on what happens at the border, but I am wondering about
the current I-94 in his passport (the one marked with K-1)... Will they take that out
of his passport and if so, it it okay to let them take it? Will they try to take it
when we enter Canada or when we return into the US? Do we still *need* that I-94 for
anything? (We filed his AOS, AP, & EAD last week in person in Philly). Copies were
supplied to the INS when we filed AOS, EAD & AP and ofcourse we have copies of it in
our files. Also, I read in the archives that he will be given 2 (?) new ones when he
re-enters the US?

If someone has crossed by car into Canada recently, can you tell us about your
experience? Did they take any of your AP papers, I-94, etc.? He has been granted
multiple trips of various lengths which is what we had requested.

Also, what will happen the next time he uses his AP, which will be a vacation trip
home to The Netherlands? How does the procedure vary from traveling by air overseas
vs. driving into Canada?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to be precautionary... We just want to make
sure that when we return to the US, he's not missing any papers.

Thanks! -Brenda

Old Aug 2nd 2001, 7:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Brenda

Look through the posts for the last few days. There is a thread for this from Riggs

Make a copy of the I-94 currently in his passport just so that you will have a copy for your records. It is okay for them to take it. They will place new ones in his passport or just on the A/P itself.

The process is simple and painless and should only take a few mintues. To recap the other post what will happen is:

you will drive up to the drive thru window. You will hand the examiner his passport and A/P and your identification. He will look at it and then direct you to park your car in the carport and you will go into the INS building. Inside the information on the A/P will be placed into the computer. One or two I-94s will be placed on your A/P and possibly your passport. The will be completed by hand and you will be paroled indefinitely into the US. They may, or may not, keep one sheet of the A/P.

And that will be all.

Have a good trip. We are going to Canada in the morning ourselves during through Lake Champaign crossing into Montreal and then onto Ottawa for a weddig.

Rita
Old Aug 2nd 2001, 7:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

PS for subsequent use, nothing will happen. They will look at it only and send you on your way. No other I-94's will be placed on it because you have been paroled into the custody of the District Director of your INS office indefinitely.

Rita
Old Aug 3rd 2001, 2:55 pm
Brenda And Rolf

Rita,

Thanks so much for your response... It certainly put our minds at ease to have the
info. Now we can have a nice time at Niagara Falls and forget about all of this INS
stuff for 2 days!

-Brenda

Rete <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >