USCIS Immigrant Fee

Old Feb 5th 2015, 9:14 am
Just Joined

DrWooWoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USCIS Immigrant Fee

Hi all.

I've just received my CR1 visa from the embassy and a letter requesting payment for the immigrant fee. At the top, it has written by hand an alien registration number and a DOS case ID, however these don't match what is on my visa stamp. Is this normal or has someone at the embassy just written the wrong details?
Old Feb 5th 2015, 10:27 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USCIS Immigrant Fee

Your alien number, case number and visa number are 3 separate things.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very clearly!

The alien registration number printed on my visa is different to the handwritten one on the letter (last number is wrong by 1) and the case ID is completely different. To me it seems like a mistake and they wrote down the case ID of the person with the alien registration number numerically after mine.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWooWoo
The alien registration number printed on my visa is different to the handwritten one on the letter (last number is wrong by 1) and the case ID is completely different.
The information that's on the visa is the correct information. It doesn't matter what's on the letter. Pay the fee and make sure you enter the correct numbers.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2015, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks, Ian. I went with the common sense approach - however someone from the embassy contacted me about it, they said there could have been a risk of the person who got my details paying my fee for me but, alas, both of us realised!

Now I've just realised my last name on the visa is not hyphenated as it should be (despite telling them in the interview), but I think I may just wait until I get there before causing more havoc!
Old Feb 12th 2015, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWooWoo
Now I've just realised my last name on the visa is not hyphenated as it should be (despite telling them in the interview)...
Was it hyphenated in your application? I'm pretty sure that is what they use to print the visa, not the info from the interview.

I think I may just wait until I get there before causing more havoc!
The missing hyphen on the visa is largely irrelevant. Once you arrive in the US, be sure to tell the CBP officer who processes you - so that, with any luck, your green card (and, more importantly, your Social Security card) will show the correct name. Having the correct spelling on your SS card is more important than having it correct on your GC.

Ian
Old Feb 12th 2015, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Was it hyphenated in your application? I'm pretty sure that is what they use to print the visa, not the info from the interview.
Ian
Yep - all of my paperwork had the hyphenated name. All of the paperwork I got back didn't. I had just assumed that some system was not set up to include them.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The missing hyphen on the visa is largely irrelevant. Once you arrive in the US, be sure to tell the CBP officer who processes you - so that, with any luck, your green card (and, more importantly, your Social Security card) will show the correct name. Having the correct spelling on your SS card is more important than having it correct on your GC.
Ian
That was my plan - especially as my passport has a hyphen. Fingers crossed it's a non-issue. Would be a right pain in the bum to pay for my name to be changed all for the sake of a bloody hyphen!