USC spouse unemployed

Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:47 pm
Banned

tshaalan1 will become famous soon enough
Default USC spouse unemployed

Does it matter if the USC spouse is on unemployment? The alien spouse is the one who is employed and supporting the family.

The alien spouse has accumulated more than 40 work units with social security and I read somewhere before that if this is the case, then an I-864 is not needed to be filed by the USC on behalf of the alien spouse. Is this True?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC spouse unemployed

Originally Posted by tshaalan1
Does it matter if the USC spouse is on unemployment? The alien spouse is the one who is employed and supporting the family.

The alien spouse has accumulated more than 40 work units with social security and I read somewhere before that if this is the case, then an I-864 is not needed to be filed by the USC on behalf of the alien spouse. Is this True?
40 work units is about 10 years of full-time work. If he/she's worked that long, there won't be any more need for I-864 at all...would have a 10-year green card or be a citizen by that time. At least that's how I figure it.

What stage of immigration are you at?

Rene
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does it matter if the USC spouse is on unemployment?
In what context do you ask? Is there a specific application you're filing, or is this just a general question?

Is this True?
My understanding is that the I-864 *must* be filed, however, if the alien can demonstrate 40 quarters of qualified earnings, then the USC is released from their obligation of support. I believe you must still file the I-864.

Ian
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Noorah101
40 work units is about 10 years of full-time work. If he/she's worked that long, there won't be any more need for I-864 at all...would have a 10-year green card or be a citizen by that time. At least that's how I figure it.

What stage of immigration are you at?

Rene
I am in AOS right now filed back in April/2005. But I have been in the US since 1997 on student visa and then h1 work visa. So i have well over 40 units. Its actually less than 10 years because i think the calculation is based on how many hours you worked in a year, so if you put in alot of overtime, you could be credited with more than 4 units for that year.( Based on my social security statements)

Back to the subject; My USC spouse lost job a while back and having a difficult time trying to find another one and is now on unemployment. USC spouse is thinking about going back to school instead, possibly in another state, while I the alien will remain here for work.

Will this affect the AOS process?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

That would be the logical conclusion since the sponsor is released from his/her obligations when the sponsored immigrant can be credited with 40 quarters of work, but I have never seen anything that says you don't still have to file the darn thing.

Worse comes to worst, in your case, you could use your own income to qualify if you have been married and living together for more than 6 months.

As for whether it would affect your AOS if your spouse were to attend school in a different state, it will not affect you as long as you can prove that you have a real relationship and are truly married. Save all your ticket stubs and receipts from when you visit each other, save your itemized phone bills, etc.

EDITED for typo
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I am in AOS right now filed back in April/2005. But I have been in the US since 1997 on student visa and then h1 work visa. So i have well over 40 units. Its actually less than 10 years because i think the calculation is based on how many hours you worked in a year, so if you put in alot of overtime, you could be credited with more than 4 units for that year.( Based on my social security statements)
That is not how the SS reporting works. It is impossible to earn more than 4 units a year, yourself.

Anyway, last time, you said that you are the USC.

So what is it? Busting more marriage frauds or setting up your own shingle and charging for the service?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the subject; My USC spouse lost job a while back and having a difficult time trying to find another one and is now on unemployment. USC spouse is thinking about going back to school instead, possibly in another state, while I the alien will remain here for work.

So the USC has already filed the I-864 on your behalf, and your next step is the interview. Normally, if something changes in the sponsor's income scenario, a new I-864 is handed over at the interview. If the alien has been living in the household for 6 months or more, his/her income can usually be included with the USC's income. And, I *think* unemployment income can be used for the I-864 toward qualification...but I'm not 100% sure.

As for you having already worked the 40 quarters, I suppose at the interview if you can prove that, the sponsor can be released from having to provide an I-864, but again I'm not sure.

Rene
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Noorah101
So the USC has already filed the I-864 on your behalf, and your next step is the interview. Normally, if something changes in the sponsor's income scenario, a new I-864 is handed over at the interview. If the alien has been living in the household for 6 months or more, his/her income can usually be included with the USC's income. And, I *think* unemployment income can be used for the I-864 toward qualification...but I'm not 100% sure.

As for you having already worked the 40 quarters, I suppose at the interview if you can prove that, the sponsor can be released from having to provide an I-864, but again I'm not sure.

Rene
Thats what I was thinking, the social security statments can be presented at the interview.

Thanks for the help.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

CAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant future

This is what SS says about earning your credits:
In 2004 if your net earnings are $3600 or more, you earn the yearly MAXIMUM of four credits.- one credit for each $900 of earnings during that year.

Last edited by CAsunlover; Aug 12th 2005 at 12:21 am.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... so if you put in alot of overtime, you could be credited with more than 4 units for that year.
Alas, this is wrong... you can only earn 4 credits per year maximum regardless of your income. That said, you do not have 40 qualified work credits. This doesn't much matter though because if you have been living together for more than 6 months, then your earnings can be included on the I-864 in which case it won't much matter if the USC spouse is unemployed as long as your income meets the 125% level for your family size. You must still file the I-864.

Ian
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what I was thinking, the social security statments can be presented at the interview.

Thanks for the help.

Your social security statements are worthless. Bring tax returns. You have not worked 40 quarters. You have only worked 4 quarters a year. End of story.

Are you perhaps running a newsforum on the side and posting this questions so that you can go back and answers questions there?
Old Aug 12th 2005, 2:01 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
Your social security statements are worthless. Bring tax returns. You have not worked 40 quarters. You have only worked 4 quarters a year. End of story.

Are you perhaps running a newsforum on the side and posting this questions so that you can go back and answers questions there?

no, I am not running a news forum on the side or front or back. My SS statemnts do say that I have 40 credits. Its staring me in the face here.

Thanks for your help anyway
Old Aug 12th 2005, 4:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

no, I am not running a news forum on the side or front or back. My SS statemnts do say that I have 40 credits. Its staring me in the face here.

Thanks for your help anyway
http://www.ssa.gov/glossary.htm#Q

They are now called credits but it clearly states 4 max per year.

Perhaps you have been here longer than you thought?
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

tshaalan,

As others have already posted, you cannot be credited with more than 4 units per year.

However, no one has mentioned that you are credited with your husband's credits as well as your own as long as you are married to him at the time the accounting is done. I don't know if you have the credits your husband has earned during the marriage only, all of his credits since he started earning them, or his credits for some other period of time.

Regards, JEff