Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

USC lived in UK with no income to declare

USC lived in UK with no income to declare

Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:42 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USC lived in UK with no income to declare

Originally Posted by robclem1
Has anyone filed their returns in person at the US embasy in london and will they stamp it there and then?

They do offer a walk in service on Tuesday the day before my interview so it might be worth doing this just in case, although a lot of bother to file 0 tax returns.
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/irs/irsfaq.htm
How should I file my return? Are foreign postmarks acceptable?

You may send your return either to our Austin Service Center or to our London office. If you bring your return in person to our London office, you may wish to bring a copy so that we can date stamp it as your record of timely filing. (We cannot provide copies for you.)
Old Jan 31st 2010, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

robclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nice

My interview is on Wednesday and there is a walk in facility on Tuesday so my wife will go to the IRS on Tuesday and file the last 3 years forms and hopefully get a stamped copy saying "Filed" which I can then take with me on Wednesday.

Small problem I have is the link to the "2008" 2555 form does not work, all others do - Does anyone happen to have a blank copy? If not could I just change the date at the top of the form from 2009 to 2008 ?

cheers

Rob
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Aaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really nice

Oh drat wish we'd seen this sooner. We're in the same boat with my husbands tax returns. We were advised by an online accountant not to file because his income has been too low.

We're about to head up to London now for our interview tomorrow (2nd Feb). Too late to do anything about it now but cross our fingers! I'll let you know how it goes when I get back.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robclem1
My interview is on Wednesday and there is a walk in facility on Tuesday so my wife will go to the IRS on Tuesday and file the last 3 years forms and hopefully get a stamped copy saying "Filed" which I can then take with me on Wednesday.

Small problem I have is the link to the "2008" 2555 form does not work, all others do - Does anyone happen to have a blank copy? If not could I just change the date at the top of the form from 2009 to 2008 ?
Rob, I don't mind you PMing me questions but if you're going to post the same in here just PM me a link to your new post.

As I said in PM, the 2008 2555 form in the wiki article works for me, try it again.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:14 am
Just Joined

robclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nice

it was fixed after i email them today

thanks for your help though.

Hopefully they will accept my wifes returns tomorrow and stamp our copy as Filed ready for my interview on Wednesday.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 4:28 am
Just Joined

little update -

My Wife went to the IRS office in London today to submitt her 3 years returns. The guy was most helpful but we had filled them in wrong. Apparently we did not need the 2555's and some adjustments needed on the 1040's as her income was Dividend income.

Anyway, long and short of it is they have told us exactly how to fill in the forms and say I can take them to my interview tomorrow and file them on the same day, apparently it happens all the time.

We have decided to go together now so that my Wife can deal with the tax returns tomorrow whilst I wait for my interview - Can anyone tell me if she will be able to get from the IRS side of the embassy to the Visa side to give me the stamped approval?

cheers

Rob
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if they will let you in seperately. What time is your interview? Did you specify on your DS-2001 that your wife would be accompanying you to the interview? Otherwise, she won't be on the list of allowed visitors.

If possible she should fall in when the door opens tomorrow, file taxes, and get the proof of filing to you before you attempt entry to the embassy. In fact that might be the only way to do it.

Talk about leaving it till the last minute!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:19 am
Just Joined

that is what i am worried about.

The IRS guy says this happens all the time and that I can go for my interview, tell them I need to go down hall and file forms and then come back with the proof and hopefully get approved.

I was just hoping my wife could go do this whilst I waited for my interview. We did not tell them she would be there though so this might not work.

Now not sure what to do
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 6:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand.. wife can go into the Embassy anytime she wants. I'm sure there's a way for you to connect once inside?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Aaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really niceAaarrrggg is just really nice

If its any reassurance I passed my visa interview today with no IRS returns for my husband. His income had been too low the last few years. He had made enough this year and filed but we're still waiting for it to be processed so he had nothing official to show (we didn't know he could have done it at the embassy, d'oh!) We gave them a letter from him explaining and print outs of the email correspondence with his accountant but they only glanced at them and didn't take any of it.

The lady at the first window seemed rather disapproving but the ConOff at the 2nd only asked if we were using my (immigrant) assets, which I said yes and he said that's fine (they're over x5 the poverty amount so that probably helped our case.)

Good luck tomorrow! If its anything like today you'll have plenty of time to get things done; our appointment was for 9am and we got out at 2.45... *lots* of waiting around!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the update and congratulations. We are both going to go and my wife will do he tax filing thing whilst I wait for my 8am interview. Hopefully she can meet me somewhere and give me the filed proof.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:23 am
Just Joined

One last question before tomorrow to anyone out there.

I am being supported by MiL and Fil with necessary I-864 and I-864a as I have not sold my uk business yet and cant really give them accurate figures for my assets. This should be fine as their combined income is more than enough to sponsor me.

Question I really have is if they ask me what my plans are for income when I go to USA, can I just tell them I am starting a business(which I am) or will they want more proof etc..... Is the I-864 support enough

thanks

Rob
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:34 am

They may ask about your plans, but a sufficient Joint Sponsor I-864 package + your spouse's approved intent to domicile should be sufficient.
My spouse hasn't worked (very seriously) since he arrived in the US.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance owned his own business in Turkey. At the K-1 interview, they asked him if he plans to work in the USA...he said yes. They asked what he plans to do...he said "the same thing I'm doing here". Evidently that was enough for them.

Rene