Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

USC lived in UK with no income to declare

Wikiposts

USC lived in UK with no income to declare

Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:39 am
Just Joined

robclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nice
Default USC lived in UK with no income to declare

Hi, just read a post on tax filing for USC's living abroad and having a last minute panic.

I am having my visa interview on Wednesday 3rd this week, we have everything in order and I'm just checking I've not missed anything when I found an article on filing tax returns.

MY Wife a USC has not filed tax returns for 25 years whilst living in the UK. We had her mother in the US speak to the tax office in the US about this situation and they said as she had not earned a salary for the past few years(only had dividend income from my UK company) she did not have to file a tax return. They suggested she attach a letter stating she did not have to file a return as her income was too low and did not qualify as it was a UK dividend.

Having read this post I am now panicing that maybe she should have filled one in. Can you offer any advice? Should we quickly fill in the last 3 years worth and then take them to the embassy on Tuesday and ask them to stamp them as filed?

Any help greatly appreciated

thanks

Rob
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of
Default Re: USC lived in UK with no income to declare

Originally Posted by robclem1
Hi, just read a post on tax filing for USC's living abroad and having a last minute panic.

I am having my visa interview on Wednesday 3rd this week, we have everything in order and I'm just checking I've not missed anything when I found an article on filing tax returns.

MY Wife a USC has not filed tax returns for 25 years whilst living in the UK. We had her mother in the US speak to the tax office in the US about this situation and they said as she had not earned a salary for the past few years(only had dividend income from my UK company) she did not have to file a tax return. They suggested she attach a letter stating she did not have to file a return as her income was too low and did not qualify as it was a UK dividend.

Having read this post I am now panicing that maybe she should have filled one in. Can you offer any advice? Should we quickly fill in the last 3 years worth and then take them to the embassy on Tuesday and ask them to stamp them as filed?

thanks

Rob
Hi Rob - I am a USC who has been living in the UK for the past few years. As I was a student I have no income to delcare for the past few years however, upon the advice of others at this forum as well ass the IRS office at the US Embassy, I filled in 1040EZ's fpr the past 3 years with 0 income on all 3 and those will go along with my wife for her interview in 2 weeks. I would advise better safe than sorry in this instance. It is easy enough to locate the 1040EZ forms on the IRS website for the past few years.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

Rob
If your wife did NOT earn enough income to warrant filing a US tax return, she doesn't need to. She can attach a letter stating this.

If she DID work any years where she earned enough to warrant filing a return, she should file a back tax return at some point.

It's not worth taking the 3 years of unfiled tax returns to your invterview. They cannot stamp them "filed" there. She'd need to do it through an IRS office. The US embassy has an IRS department, if she wants to file them there...but if she didn't earn enough, she doesnt' need to.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:58 am
Just Joined

robclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nicerobclem1 is just really nice

Does it make any difference that we are actually using my wifes mother and father to support us with their I864 and I864a and not my wife or my assets/income?

If we have to fill out the forms tonight thats fine but does anyone know if the US embasy in London will stamp them as filed on Tuesday when they allow walk-ins?

cheers

Rob
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Rob, has your wife completed an I-864 of her own?
How did she answer the question(s) about tax returns there?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Does it make any difference that we are actually using my wifes mother and father to support us with their I864 and I864a and not my wife or my assets/income?

If we have to fill out the forms tonight thats fine but does anyone know if the US embasy in London will stamp them as filed on Tuesday when they allow walk-ins?

cheers

Rob
Your wife has to file an I-864 as petitioner regardless of her income. As Rene says, if she writes a letter explaining why she hasn't filed taxes she could be OK. It may be worth your while to phone the IRS department at the embassy tomorrow morning, they are very helpful, only open till 12pm though.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The tax filing requirement is different than the I-864 affidavit of support requirement. It's fine that you have a joint sponsor...they also provided their tax returns, I assume. I suspect it will be OK for your wife not to have filed US tax returns the past few years because she wasn't working and/or earning enough.

Only if you take them to the IRS department of the US embassy, if they allow walk ins and if they process them right away and stamp them filed.

Not if you take them to your interview.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:06 am
Just Joined

ok, so this boils down to the question if UK dividends have to be declared on a US tax return as that is how my wife was paid. MY MiL spoke to a US tax office and they said she did not have to.

thanks for all answers so far, I do think we will call the tax office in the morning to clarify this

Rob
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:13 am

ok, so this boils down to the question if UK dividends have to be declared on a US tax return as that is how my wife was paid. MY MiL spoke to a US tax office and they said she did not have to.

thanks for all answers so far, I do think we will call the tax office in the morning to clarify this

Rob
The safest way to go is to have the USC file a US tax return, showing any and all income, from all sources. That way, everything is declared. She probably won't have to PAY US tax, but it's a good idea to go ahead and file a return anyway, if there was any time of income or earnings at all.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Rob, has your wife completed an I-864 of her own?
How did she answer the question(s) about tax returns there?
she has completed her own I-864 and left the tax return bit blank with a note referring to an attached letter stating she did not qualify to file a return as her income was too low.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The safest way to go is to have the USC file a US tax return, showing any and all income, from all sources. That way, everything is declared. She probably won't have to PAY US tax, but it's a good idea to go ahead and file a return anyway, if there was any time of income or earnings at all.

Rene
Rene - Based on your good advise I spoke to the London office of the IRS at the embassy and specifically asked them about the tax returns for interview and they were the ones who advised I file the 0 income returns as at interview thats what the ConOff will be looking for..
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Rene
I am assuming this is the only form she needs to file for each of the last 3 years given we have a few kids as well?

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of different requirements to meet here.. if the US citizen did not have sufficient income to file a US income tax return, that is fine. I don't normally advocate filing a zero return 'just because' (for the visa application) if all other conditions are met.
Because Rob's wife has not lived in the US for 25 years however, it might be a useful exercise toward showing her intent to domicile in the US.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:27 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It's not worth taking the 3 years of unfiled tax returns to your invterview. They cannot stamp them "filed" there. She'd need to do it through an IRS office. The US embassy has an IRS department, if she wants to file them there...but if she didn't earn enough, she doesnt' need to.
I recently read on another forum of someone having to do precisely this, i.e. the USC had to go and file the returns before they'd issue the visa. So I'd actually argue it might well be worth doing.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Has anyone filed their returns in person at the US embasy in london and will they stamp it there and then?

They do offer a walk in service on Tuesday the day before my interview so it might be worth doing this just in case, although a lot of bother to file 0 tax returns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.