Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Usc Husband In Jail...advice Please!

Usc Husband In Jail...advice Please!

Old Jan 8th 2004, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Savannah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Usc Husband In Jail...advice Please!

Hi everyone,
We are in serious trouble and need help. My husband (USC) and I got married in 2002 and filed for my AOS on May 2003 in NYC. I have received my work permit am working and things were going well until the beginning of this year.
My husband got arrested for assault (fight in a bar) in early january. You can normally get bailed out of jail while you fight that charge but he was on probation for a previous assault. He had 1 1/2 yrs left of probation on the previous assault case that took place 5yrs ago. They have refused him bail and he has to stay in jail until the matter is resolved.
I need to find out from the lawyers or anyone with this experience how this will affect my immigration case.

1. Do I have to notify the my local immigration office about this incident?

2. What if this is not resolved (and he's still in jail) by the time I get an interview appt. Can I go to the interview alone?

3. Will this affect my work permit renewal? I need my job now more than ever to pay for his lawyer fees.

Please help with any advice.

Thanks,
Savannah.
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:00 pm
Whimsical in the brainpan

Elenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Usc Husband In Jail...advice Please!

*bump*

I don't have the answers to your questions, but someone here should...

Anyone? Legal Beagles? Great Golden Retrievers?

Anyone?

E.
Old Jan 17th 2004, 3:58 am
Michael

Elenfair <member9538@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > *bump*
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't have the answers to your questions, but someone here should...
    >
    >
    >
    > Anyone? Legal Beagles? Great Golden Retrievers?
    >
    >
    >

Why would immigration care if your husband was arrested ? They can't
deport him. He will be given a slap on the wrist and released in a
few weeks. The average murderer spends 1 1/2 years in jail, you think
an assault conviction will really matter ?

THE REAL ISSUE IS THIS: WHY ARE YOU WITH SUCH A LOSER
??????????????????

Old Jan 17th 2004, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Dad of 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Savannah:

I think the best thing to do is for you to get in touch with an experienced immigration attorney. If cost is an issue, there are many opportunities to get good representation at a reduced fee or pro bono in most areas. The key is looking around, calling legal aid, calling Catholic Charities and calling the bar association of the state and county/city you are in. These people will be able to help you find some resources to address your specific problem.

Dad of 3
Old Jan 17th 2004, 5:15 am
Mrraveltay

Michael wrote:

> Elenfair <member9538@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>*bump*
    >>I don't have the answers to your questions, but someone here should...
    >>Anyone? Legal Beagles? Great Golden Retrievers?
    >
    >
    > Why would immigration care if your husband was arrested ? They can't
    > deport him. He will be given a slap on the wrist and released in a
    > few weeks. The average murderer spends 1 1/2 years in jail,

Where did you get this information?

Old Jan 17th 2004, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Savannah
Hi everyone,
We are in serious trouble and need help. My husband (USC) and I got married in 2002 and filed for my AOS on May 2003 in NYC. I have received my work permit am working and things were going well until the beginning of this year.
My husband got arrested for assault (fight in a bar) in early january. You can normally get bailed out of jail while you fight that charge but he was on probation for a previous assault. He had 1 1/2 yrs left of probation on the previous assault case that took place 5yrs ago. They have refused him bail and he has to stay in jail until the matter is resolved.
I need to find out from the lawyers or anyone with this experience how this will affect my immigration case.

1. Do I have to notify the my local immigration office about this incident?

2. What if this is not resolved (and he's still in jail) by the time I get an interview appt. Can I go to the interview alone?

3. Will this affect my work permit renewal? I need my job now more than ever to pay for his lawyer fees.

Please help with any advice.

Thanks,
Savannah.
Hi:

Consult with an immigration lawyer knowledgable in LOCAL procedures.

1. Not yet -- but will have to give a reason why he doesn't show up at the interivew.

2. I recommend you go with a lawyer.

3. It shouldn't.

I have a feeling that this will delay your case if he can't show up at the interview. In a weird sort of related way, LOS just resumed AOS interviews and damn if the first I get is where the US citizen spouse started the Police Academy the day before the interview and is only free to go home at night -- we asked for a postponement of the interview -- US spouse had been waiting for three years to get the appointment!