Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

which usa visa do i need

which usa visa do i need

Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:05 am
Just Joined

clatts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default which usa visa do i need

hi all i wonder if anyone can help me please . i dont know which visa to get .i am a uk citizen ..and i am living there now. my wife is usa citizen and lives there . we want to be together , can i go over there on a b2 and then apply for extensions.when i am there , iam not to bothered about citizen ship , what i would like to do is be able to work a little bit.is there any type of visa that can do that . i am not bothered about being there perminantly ,as we could decide to go to the uk ?thank you for your help.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: which usa visa do i need

Which visa did you enter on? VWP? If so, have you overstayed or are you still within your 90 days?

I'm pretty sure that you won't get a B-2 in order to visit your wife as that'll have a lot of red lights going on at immigrations. You can visit her on the VWP but with all the caveats that are frequently mentioned on this forum. If you're looking at living with your wife in the US, you'll be looking at a CR-1.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Which visa did you enter on? VWP? If so, have you overstayed or are you still within your 90 days?

I'm pretty sure that you won't get a B-2 in order to visit your wife as that'll have a lot of red lights going on at immigrations. You can visit her on the VWP but with all the caveats that are frequently mentioned on this forum. If you're looking at living with your wife in the US, you'll be looking at a CR-1.
hi tim the last time i was there was on 20 dec 2009 on a visa w p ....do you know if the cr-1 takes a long time to get as i want to be there asap thank you for your time .
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clatts
i am a uk citizen ..and i am living there now. my wife is usa citizen and lives there . we want to be together
If your wife is a US citizen, why don't you just apply for a CR-1/IR-1 visa? It's definitely the most simple method available to you. Your wife starts the process by filing form I-130.

Ian
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:11 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
I read the OP as him currently being in the UK, not USA.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

An example of the UK education system.

My guess is that they are in the UK, so CR1.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tonrob
I read the OP as him currently being in the UK, not USA.
Ah yes, good point. I guess I got confused by the various "theres" in the OP's post. Not that confusing me is hard to do or anything.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
My guess is that they are in the UK, so CR1.
My take is that he is in the UK and the wife is in the US. He talks about wanting to "be together" which indicates that they are currently apart.

Ian
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
My take is that he is in the UK and the wife is in the US. He talks about wanting to "be together" which indicates that they are currently apart.

Ian
Seemed that way to me too.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:56 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing that he needs to do is to be bothered by something and make a decision. Commit to living on one side of the Atlantic for a few years.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

hi all i wonder if anyone can help me please . i dont know which visa to get .i am a uk citizen ..and i am living there now. my wife is usa citizen and lives there . we want to be together , can i go over there on a b2 and then apply for extensions.when i am there , iam not to bothered about citizen ship , what i would like to do is be able to work a little bit.is there any type of visa that can do that . i am not bothered about being there perminantly ,as we could decide to go to the uk ?thank you for your help.
yes she is in the usa and i am in the uk. i am wanting to be there sooner rather than later . if posible
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonrob
Seemed that way to me too.
so ok they dont have something like a sort term visa , where you can work as well''the cr - 1 visa by all accounts take 6 months
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

so ok they dont have something like a sort term visa , where you can work as well''the cr - 1 visa by all accounts take 6 months
no
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

If your wife is a US citizen, why don't you just apply for a CR-1/IR-1 visa? It's definitely the most simple method available to you. Your wife starts the process by filing form I-130.

Ian
ok thx ian ..i wish there was a quicker way . maybe the best way is to get a b2 ..and apply for the other visa cr-1 when i am there .because i still have to come back to the uk anyway ?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Ian
ok ian thx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.