Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

US citizen marrying UKC - green card needed before moving?

US citizen marrying UKC - green card needed before moving?

Old Jun 23rd 2022, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

VickyF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US citizen marrying UKC - green card needed before moving?

Hello, new to this page!
Burning question can’t seem to get a straight answer!
I’ve been living in UK for 18 years, US/UK dual citizenship but from Texas. Married in 2020, hubby is UK citizen. We opened an LLC in September 2021 in Texas.

We want to move back Dec2022 or Jan 2023. Applied for his Green Card last October, only started processing this March 2022, taking ages and will prob take long due to Covid backlog. Question is : Can we move to Texas before green card is approved/issued as I’m a US citizen?

Does having a business help in anyway? Can we apply for a certain business VISA for him to get there before green card approved?

If so does this hurt the green card process?

Any help greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 1:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US citizen marrying UKC - green card needed before moving?

Where did you file the application? The US Embassy or did you send it to the US?
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 1:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband cannot "move to" the US before he has his visa, and he will need to be in London for his interview and medical, and to receive his visa. He is allowed to visit the US while waiting for his visa, but should be careful what he says to the immigration officer when he arrives in the US, as he is only allowed to visit, not stay, when he doesn't have a visa to live in the US.

Being married to a USC, or owning a business, infers no special privilieges, and at this point, with the IR-1 spouse visa application well under way, I can't think of a business-related visa that applies to his situation that would get him to the US any sooner than waiting for the IR-1 application to run its course.

Given your prefered time scale I see him accompanying you to Texas later this year, visiting until his interview and medical are scheduled, or 90 days (whichever is shorter), then returning to the UK to complete his visa process and collect his visa.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Where did you file the application? The US Embassy or did you send it to the US?
We used a immigration/green card company based in US. the US embassy in London no longer does the green card app!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Your husband cannot "move to" the US before he has his visa, and he will need to be in London for his interview and medical, and to receive his visa. He is allowed to visit the US while waiting for his visa, but should be careful what he says to the immigration officer when he arrives in the US, as he is only allowed to visit, not stay, when he doesn't have a visa to live in the US.

Being married to a USC, or owning a business, infers no special privilieges, and at this point, with the IR-1 spouse visa application well under way, I can't think of a business-related visa that applies to his situation that would get him to the US any sooner than waiting for the IR-1 application to run its course.

Given your prefered time scale I see him accompanying you to Texas later this year, visiting until his interview and medical are scheduled, or 90 days (whichever is shorter), then returning to the UK to complete his visa process and collect his visa.

thank you, it’s not a spouse visa we applied for, it’s the Form I-130, sorry if it’s the same thing you are referring to! I’m new to all this.

is the ‘visa’ what he will get when he gets the interview for the green card?
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 2:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VickyF
thank you, it’s not a spouse visa we applied for, it’s the Form I-130, sorry if it’s the same thing you are referring to! I’m new to all this.

is the ‘visa’ what he will get when he gets the interview for the green card?
You said he "applied for a green card", but technically you don't apply for a green card, you apply for a spouse visa, which in your husband's case will be an IR-1. The I-130 form is the form used to apply for an IR-1. When he enters the US using the IR-1 visa he will be sent a green card.
We used a immigration/green card company based in US. ....
Oh dear.

You added a complicating step, and costs, for likely no benefit.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 23rd 2022 at 2:39 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 3:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You, not him, filed the I-130 for an Immediate Relative Visa. Why a visa instead of a green card? The difference comes because of where he is living. If the spouse is living in a foreign country it is a visa which will allow him to immigrate to the US. When the visa is presented at the Port of Entry it is stamped with an I-551 which is the stamp version of the US green card. The actual green card will arrive in the mail at his US ADDRESS.

It behooves you to learn all the steps involved in the I-130 process. You have a long long way to go and using a online immigration service, will not offer you help with this process.

Go to the official USCIS website and search for I-130 Immediate Relative. Read the various steps involved when the spouse is residing out of the country.

Go to the US Embassy London website and read that the steps are once the I-130 is approved in the US and sent to the USE in London. https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/famil...130-petitions/

He won't be here as a resident before the end of the year unless he is very very lucky. Do NOT, I repeat Do NOT, assume that since you have filed the I-130 that he can now enter the US as a visitor under ESTA and remain here until the I-130 is approved and then file for Legal Permanent Residency. That is fraud. And when he visits he CANNOT work at the business because visitors under ESTA cannot work in the US.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
You said he "applied for a green card", but technically you don't apply for a green card, you apply for a spouse visa, which in your husband's case will be an IR-1. The I-130 form is the form used to apply for an IR-1. When he enters the US using the IR-1 visa he will be sent a green card.

Oh dear.

You added a complicating step, and costs, for likely no benefit.

it was better for us as they went through everything before we sent it off and gave us advice on the form.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 3:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

We used a immigration/green card company based in US. the US embassy in London no longer does the green card app!!!
When discussing the immigrant visa application process, terminology s important to avoid confusion. The term “visa” is prone to misuse. (A US Supreme Court case not to long ago did just that. In context, it was a “no harm, no foul” type of error.)

The preliminary I-130 filed in the US with the Department of Homeland Security. This is known as a “petition.” Upon approval, the petition is sent to the Department of State to process the visa application. These days, most of the paper processing is done stateside at the “National Visa Center” in Portsmouth NH. Near the conclusion of the process, the application goes to the Consular Section in London for interview and adjudication.

I-130’s have always been in the bailiwick of DHS (or the predecessor agency of INS). The regulations carved out a limited delegation of authority from INS to Consular Officers to accept and adjudicate marital I-130’s. This procedure got the internet nickname of “DCF” (Direct Consular Processing). Curiously, London did NOT have the authority to DCF. That said, there was an overseas office of INS/DHS in London which did have such authority. Being somewhat user transparent to the layperson, it was commonly included in the rubric of DCF. When true DCF was abolished, the authority of overseas INS/DHS offices was left undisturbed. A few years back, this delegation of authority was revoked and all I-130 are now adjudicated stateside.

BTW, the reference to immigration green card company stateside may be problematical. But that is another topic.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Dont know anything about the legal permanent thing you mention and I clearly stated I was concerned about jeopardising any processes.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 3:35 pm

Dont know anything about the legal permanent thing you mention and I clearly stated I was concerned about jeopardising any processes.
"Legal permanent resident" is the correct legal wording for the vernacular "green card holder".

As S Folinsky said above use of a "green card company" has the potential to be problematic, especially if they are not owned and operated ny a firm of lawyers. Also, whatever they are, lawyers or not, if they louse up your application, you wouldn't be the first person here on BE to have that happen to them. Of course that is unlikely, but using a lawyer, or other visa application service, is no guarantee that everything will go smoothly.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 23rd 2022 at 3:40 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

So can he visit more than once on the 90 day ESTA, if needed? Let's say he comes for 90 days, he then has to go back to UK, and can he come back for another 90 days if needed? is this allowed? sorry if too many questions!
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 4:10 pm

So can he visit more than once on the 90 day ESTA, if needed? Let's say he comes for 90 days, he then has to go back to UK, and can he come back for another 90 days if needed? is this allowed? sorry if too many questions!
Ask away, we don't mind.

Yes, he could come for more than one VWP visit, so long as neither exceed 90 days. Some people report, or at least think, that coming on back-to-back 90 day visits can be a problem, or they think that it can be a problem, but I am not so sure. Maybe things are more strict than they used to be, but I knew someone who made at least eight, that I know of, (and I suspect there were four or more in addition) back-to-back 90 day visits to the US back in the 1990s, each separated by only one week! As your husband is unlikely to need more than two visits, I personally believe that if he say, spent 70 days in the US, went back to the UK*, then returned to the US again, that he wouldn't have a problem be allowed to reenter for a second VWP visit.

* Please note, that in order to reset the 90 day clock he will need to leave continental North America, IOW visiting Canada, Mexico, or any island in the Caribbean does not reset the 90 day VWP clock.
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Ask away, we don't mind.

Yes, he could come for more than one VWP visit, so long as neither exceed 90 days. Some people report, or at least think, that coming on back-to-back 90 day visits can be a problem, or they think that it can be a problem, but I am not so sure. Maybe things are more strict than they used to be, but I knew someone who made at least eight, that I know of, (and I suspect there were four or more in addition) back-to-back 90 day visits to the US back in the 1990s, each separated by only one week! As your husband is unlikely to need more than two visits, I personally believe that if he say, spent 70 days in the US, went back to the UK*, then returned to the US again, that he wouldn't have a problem be allowed to reenter for a second VWP visit.

* Please note, that in order to reset the 90 day clock he will need to leave continental North America, IOW visiting Canada, Mexico, or any island in the Caribbean does not reset the 90 day VWP clock.
Thats awesome, thank you so much for the information!
Old Jun 23rd 2022, 4:33 pm

Thats awesome, thank you so much for the information! ...
You're welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.