Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

US citizen marrying immig w/ expired visa

US citizen marrying immig w/ expired visa

Old May 11th 2005, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Princess13ga is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy US citizen marrying immig w/ expired visa

Hello I have been dating my boyfriend for about a year now and his visa expired about 6 months ago. We want to get married so we can stay together but is it necessary to get a lawyer since his visa expired, or can we still do it on our own?
Also Do we get married first and then file the paperwork , or get a lawyer then file paperwork then get married? This whole thing is very foreign to me and I need any advice you can offer.

Thank you!
Old May 11th 2005, 2:52 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US citizen marrying immig w/ expired visa

Originally Posted by Princess13ga
Hello I have been dating my boyfriend for about a year now and his visa expired about 6 months ago. We want to get married so we can stay together but is it necessary to get a lawyer since his visa expired, or can we still do it on our own?
Also Do we get married first and then file the paperwork , or get a lawyer then file paperwork then get married? This whole thing is very foreign to me and I need any advice you can offer.
Thank you!
Perhaps a visit to a Lawyer before you do anything ...maybe the right thing to do...perhaps very quickly... it would seem he is at risk at the moment. Get legal advice very quickly...
Old May 11th 2005, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Perhaps a visit to a Lawyer before you do anything ...maybe the right thing to do...perhaps very quickly... it would seem he is at risk at the moment. Get legal advice very quickly...
Thanks alot!
Old May 11th 2005, 7:17 pm
Guest21

Thank you!
You don't need a lawyer but you do realise that if he gets caught he risks deportation as his visa has expired.
You need to marry then file the paperwork ASAP.

Whiskers

Old May 11th 2005, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by whiskers
You don't need a lawyer but you do realise that if he gets caught he risks deportation as his visa has expired.

Whiskers
Is that info pretty valid? Like from a law professional? Because I was thinking that but wasnt sure. We dont have a whole lot of money for a lawyer now so Im trying to do everything we can without a lawyer then bring one in when necessary.
Old May 11th 2005, 7:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whiskers
Whiskers
Unless you know where the foreign citizen is from ..and all the details of his past ..
not the best thing to say ...
Old May 11th 2005, 7:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Is that info pretty valid? Like from a law professional? Because I was thinking that but wasnt sure. We dont have a whole lot of money for a lawyer now so Im trying to do everything we can without a lawyer then bring one in when necessary.
Let's put it this way: IF you spend about $100 or so NOW, then you can learn enough to save yourself NEEDING a lawyer later.

google Matt Udall in Pasadena; he's in Pasadena, gives phone consultations and asks the right questions.

You don't know wnough to know what you can or can't do right now.
Old May 11th 2005, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Let's put it this way: IF you spend about $100 or so NOW, then you can learn enough to save yourself NEEDING a lawyer later.

google Matt Udall in Pasadena; he's in Pasadena, gives phone consultations and asks the right questions.

You don't know wnough to know what you can or can't do right now.

Ok I didnt understand what you wrote at all. $100 are you referring to getting married or a lawyer?
My boyfriend is from Argentina and has a clean record here and in his country.
Old May 11th 2005, 7:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I didnt understand what you wrote at all. $100 are you referring to getting married or a lawyer?
My boyfriend is from Argentina and has a clean record here and in his country.
The $100 is referring to an attorney consultation. Although your boyfriend has a clean record, the fact that he overstayed his visa could be an issue, and is best to be handled by a competent immigration attorney.

I second the recommendation for Matt Udall.

Rene
Old May 11th 2005, 8:10 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
His visa type is also an important peice of information.

Good Luck!
Marnee
Old May 11th 2005, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
His visa type is also an important peice of information.

Good Luck!
Marnee
It was a tourist visa, he didnt plan to stay but his mother got sick then he met me and well, you know.
Old May 11th 2005, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

It was a tourist visa, he didnt plan to stay but his mother got sick then he met me and well, you know.
No we don't. Get an attorney
Old May 11th 2005, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DCMark
No we don't. Get an attorney
You're kinda feisty DC Mark! Alright already Im getting an attorney. I kinda figured I would have to because of his status but wanted to cover all my bases because they're expensive.
Thanks for all the help. If you have any more suggestions Im open.
THanks
Old May 11th 2005, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If you have any more suggestions Im open.
Tell him not to get into any traffic accidents, not to make a left or right turn without a signal, not to jaywalk, not to talk to strange children, and not to do anything else that may result in his being detained and questioned by the police. One thing may lead to another and, before you know it, he's on the next flight to Buenos Aires.

I'll also add here that just because he told you (and you believe) that he didn't have any problems in Argentina, it doesn't necessarily make it true.

Ian
Old May 11th 2005, 11:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the help. If you have any more suggestions Im open.
THanks
Also check out www.aila.org for immigration solicitors to get referrals....you mgith also find some that will do a free consult, depends where you live though, might find them listed somewhere on www.uscis.gov as well.

You could always marry and head to his country as well...staying in the US is probably one of the most time consuming countries regarding immigration.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.