Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

US Citizen marrying Brit with Green Card in UK

US Citizen marrying Brit with Green Card in UK

Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

gasparrelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Citizen marrying Brit with Green Card in UK

Hello! I am actually an American citizen engaged to a Brit who has lived and worked in the US for a number of years and is a green card holder (eligible for US citizenship but has not taken that step, and may or may not...) All our family on both sides is in the UK and we would like to be married there. Does anyone know the rules regarding this? Do we have to do a civil ceremony in US and then do a figurative marriage again in a church in the UK? Are we eligible for a UK civil ceremony of some sort instead? Or what sort of paperwork do we need to legalize our marriage if we are first married by a minister in a UK church? We are completely lost about what's legal and necessary and possible, so ANY input would be terrific!!

With many thanks for your help,
Kim
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Sharlene will become famous soon enough
Default Re: US Citizen marrying Brit with Green Card in UK

Originally Posted by gasparrelli
Hello! I am actually an American citizen engaged to a Brit who has lived and worked in the US for a number of years and is a green card holder (eligible for US citizenship but has not taken that step, and may or may not...) All our family on both sides is in the UK and we would like to be married there. Does anyone know the rules regarding this? Do we have to do a civil ceremony in US and then do a figurative marriage again in a church in the UK? Are we eligible for a UK civil ceremony of some sort instead? Or what sort of paperwork do we need to legalize our marriage if we are first married by a minister in a UK church? We are completely lost about what's legal and necessary and possible, so ANY input would be terrific!!

Kim
I am a Bahamian and have dual citizenship w/ the US. My husband; a UK citizen and I were married in the Bahamas and our marriage certificate is legal in both countries. We researched on the Bahamian Ministry site and it clearly stated which countries recognized and honoured our marriage. I hope that helps some! Good luck and congrats!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Kim
Look here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/RightsAn...es/DG_10026937 and follow the relevant links.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Kim
Since you are a US citizen, you will need a 'visit to marry' visa if you want to marry in the UK.

The recorded version of your UK marriage certificate is valid in the US. Neither of you will be required to record this in the US or notify anyone immigration-wise.
Your future husband can apply (or not) for US citizenship based on his own merit (ie, nothing to do with the marriage).

Congratulations!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 9:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Kim
Congratulatoins on your upcoming marriage! I assume you guys are planning to live in the USA? Because if your husband moves back to the UK without first becoming a USC, he will lose his US PR status.

Rene
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:48 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Kim
For a civil ceremony in the UK there are residency requirements for the borough (similar to a US county). When I married my USC spouse, we both lived in the City of Westminster (in London), we fulfilled the two week residency rule because we'd lived there three years. I believe there's similar residency rules for those who wish to marry in a church in England (and possibly Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland).

If I were you, identify where in the UK you'd like to get married. It'd be close to one side's family I suppose. Check the Registrar for the borough and also churches in that diocese about residency requirements.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 2:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Congratulatoins on your upcoming marriage! I assume you guys are planning to live in the USA? Because if your husband moves back to the UK without first becoming a USC, he will lose his US PR status.

Rene
I didn't get the impression that the OP and her spouse had any intention of living in the UK after marriage.