Reload this Page >

US Citizen with British Citizenship Question

US Citizen with British Citizenship Question

Old Mar 24th 2015, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

MrsRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Citizen with British Citizenship Question

Hello

About this time last year I asked you lovely people for advice about getting my visa...I got it on the 13th Feb so thanks for that.

At the time a suggestion was made that my husband should get British Citizenship to save any problems in the future. So we applied for that in July 2014.

The process took much longer than we were expecting and in January 2015 we received a letter saying it could take another 3-6 months. At the time my husband was very depressed and was not willing to wait in the UK any longer than necessary. We gave up hope of it coming through and continued with my application.

Last week, after we'd organised our travel to the US, his citizenship came through and his ceremony is on the 9th April. We travel on the 18th May which make getting his British Passport very tight - especially as he needs to send off his US one as part of the application and it looks like he will have to attend an interview too for his passport so now, if we decide to apply for the passport he could risk not even having his US one for travel! And you can't fast track the application.

My question is this - does he need a UK passport? If he has his certificate of British citizenship but travels on his US passport is that enough? So, we go to the states, then go back to the UK, using the certificate like a visa? Or does it not work like that? I'm freaking out right now!
Old Mar 24th 2015, 3:15 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Citizen with British Citizenship Question

Originally Posted by MrsRyan
Hello

About this time last year I asked you lovely people for advice about getting my visa...I got it on the 13th Feb so thanks for that.

At the time a suggestion was made that my husband should get British Citizenship to save any problems in the future. So we applied for that in July 2014.

The process took much longer than we were expecting and in January 2015 we received a letter saying it could take another 3-6 months. At the time my husband was very depressed and was not willing to wait in the UK any longer than necessary. We gave up hope of it coming through and continued with my application.

Last week, after we'd organised our travel to the US, his citizenship came through and his ceremony is on the 9th April. We travel on the 18th May which make getting his British Passport very tight - especially as he needs to send off his US one as part of the application and it looks like he will have to attend an interview too for his passport so now, if we decide to apply for the passport he could risk not even having his US one for travel! And you can't fast track the application.

My question is this - does he need a UK passport? If he has his certificate of British citizenship but travels on his US passport is that enough? So, we go to the states, then go back to the UK, using the certificate like a visa? Or does it not work like that? I'm freaking out right now!
If you are a US citizen flying in or out of the US you must use a US passport. Also there is no requirement to use a UK passport to enter the UK.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Ok, thanks. So, when we come back, even for a holiday, and they want to see a visa or whatever do we just show the certificate?
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks. So, when we come back, even for a holiday, and they want to see a visa or whatever do we just show the certificate?
Are you talking about the dual USC/UKC going to the UK for a visit? He doesn't have to show anything. USCs can visit the UK without a visa. He can just show his US passport, since he's only visiting.

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Or, once you're here in the USA, he can apply for his UK passport from here.

Rene
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Not that easy unfortunately, as part of the T&Cs you have to be in the UK and as it would be his first UK passport it looks like you have to go for interview too.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rene...so if we went stateside and it didn't work out and we were there for say a couple of years and decided to move back (we have a house here in the UK that were not selling) would he then need to show his certificate or would it be expected that he'd have a passport?
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:56 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Not that easy unfortunately, as part of the T&Cs you have to be in the UK and as it would be his first UK passport it looks like you have to go for interview too.
I'd check with UK immigration, but it sounds ok to me to just travel on the US passport. Presumably your husband's US passport has his old UK residency visa in it or he has a ILR card, that combined with a UK citizenship certificate should be fine.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Yep, yep and Yep. It's so hard to know what's the best thing to do. We'd rather not have to get his UK passport if we don't need to as it's more expense and hassle, plus the tight time constraints.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

The UK does not require its citizens to enter or leave on a UK passport, so your husband does not need a British passport if he doesn't want to hang about.

I find it hard to believe that a first-time applicant for a British passport can only do so in the UK. I've not yet heard that UK citizens by descent are required to journey to the UK to get one for instance.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 8:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

There are people who have posted on this board who have applied for their first UK passport while being in the US.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
There are people who have posted on this board who have applied for their first UK passport while being in the US.
Agreed... this is a fairly common scenario. The difference from a few years ago, is that now the application must be sent to the UK rather than have the passport processed by the UK Embassy or Consulate inside the US. It adds a bit of time to the scenario, but the cost is the same... and it's still a fairly easy process.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Mar 24th 2015 at 8:48 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Oh yes, I see now, it states you have to be in the UK if you're using that particular form. You guys come through again! I just want to say how amazing you all are, and have been, helping us make sense of everything! Thank you � ����
Old Mar 24th 2015, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene...so if we went stateside and it didn't work out and we were there for say a couple of years and decided to move back (we have a house here in the UK that were not selling) would he then need to show his certificate or would it be expected that he'd have a passport?
If you enter the UK on any other passport apart from a British one you are stamped in as a visitor.

So, if you decide to return to the UK, even with the certificate, without a UK passport he would be stamped in as a visitor and told to obtain his British passport asap.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 11:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's the citizenship that's important to arrange before you go. Your husband can apply for his British passport once you've arrived and are settled in the US and have a window when you won't be travelling.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.