Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

URGENT: Turned down because not enough funds

Wikiposts

URGENT: Turned down because not enough funds

Old Jan 25th 2019, 4:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT: Turned down because not enough funds

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Having equity in a property in the UK is not going to support you and wife if you arrive in the US and don't find jobs for a few months. 20K is likely to go on deposits for rent if you have no credit history in the UK.

Personally, I could never figure how having equity, based on a property yet to sell, was regarded as adequate resources if one did not have income or cash savings to support oneself.
I used the equity in our London house to satisfy the requirements, and it was accepted without question. Over the years quite a few have posted on BE that they too used the equity in their UK properties. The equity has to be something you can raise the cash value of within 12 months. I agree in pratical terms it doesn’t make sense but why one CO says no to something which has been done for years doesn’t make sense either.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Just depends on the agent.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Might also have something to do with the fact that the property market in most of the UK is incredibly slow (if not dead, in some places) thanks to Brexit. So perhaps there is no longer the confidence in being able to sell a UK property in any decent timeframe and that's the why equity wasn't acceptable when it probably would have been a couple of years ago?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 25th 2019 at 9:52 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 8:54 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If they can gift you money, can they also afford to be a joint sponsor? Just getting them to sign up for that is so much simpler than the mental gymnastics about a loan versus gift that is being done here.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
If they can gift you money, can they also afford to be a joint sponsor? Just getting them to sign up for that is so much simpler than the mental gymnastics about a loan versus gift that is being done here.
The person gifting the money is the UKC's father, so doesn't qualify to be a joint sponsor. They need someone in the USA to be a joint sponsor.

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I missed that part.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 8:18 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The OP never said if they brought an appraisal of the property to the interview. Nor have they said they are willing to sell. Nor did they say that she has the type of mortgage that will allow her to rent out the property. Too many variables and too much left open for the CO to accept the equity as an asset for the I-864.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 8:41 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theroon
Hi all,

Had my interview this morning and unfortunately was refused because we didn't have enough evidence of financial support even though my wife has $20,000 in cash and $350,000 in equity in a flat.
Just reread this and if OP had his interview and his wife has the equity in a flat (is it in fact a condo and in the US). If it is in the US it cannot be used as equity, I don't think US property has ever been accepted as equity to support the I-864.

Old Jan 26th 2019, 8:47 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Just reread this and if OP had his interview and his wife has the equity in a flat (is it in fact a condo and in the US). If it is in the US it cannot be used as equity, I don't think US property has ever been accepted as equity to support the I-864.
Hard to tell unless you were to go back to his first post and I'm fairly certain the "flat" is in London and not in the US.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 8:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that the property is in the UK, because if I recall correctly, they both live together in the UK. I assumed the property is where they are currently living. I could be wrong.

Property in the USA could be used if it's a second home; not the home they're going to live in once inside the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2019, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The property is in the UK........ the only other asset the OP offered was 20K USD in savings - which does not meet the 125% of poverty level - 20,575 USD for two people.....

Why would US property not be able to be used? If the immigration rules allow the equity of a property to be used, and then, once in the US, one had to liquidate property to support oneself, it would be easier if the property was in the US. ??
Old Jan 26th 2019, 8:53 am
Concierge

The property is in the UK........ the only other asset the OP offered was 20K USD in savings - which does not meet the 125% of poverty level - 20,575 USD for two people.....

Why would US property not be able to be used? If the immigration rules allow the equity of a property to be used, and then, once in the US, one had to liquidate property to support oneself, it would be easier if the property was in the US. ??
That is the 2018 guidelines figure. The 2019 guidelines is $21+
Old Jan 26th 2019, 8:56 am

As Rene says if it is your home it is deemed you are not able to realize the equity in it. A property which is not your main residence could be used.

Old Jan 26th 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Rete
That is the 2018 guidelines figure. The 2019 guidelines is $21+
And that figure is for income. Multiply by 3 to get the asset figure.

Rene
Old Jan 26th 2019, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

As Rene says if it is your home it is deemed you are not able to realize the equity in it. A property which is not your main residence could be used.

Yes, of course I understand that a main residence cannot be used ..(selling it would make homeless - an even worse scenario) .. but equity in another property can be used by the sounds of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.