update :D

Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:56 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: update :D

dont forget websites like freecycle or craigslist for free second hand furniture - if you dont manage to buy everything straight away

well done on reaching the end of week one and being so well organised.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I recall the first month or so when we moved here in '03 were crazy and very frustrating, as there is so much bureaucracy and form filling. It will all settle down after 3-4 months and then you will have the joy of the first tax filing, the first passport renewal, the first baby..... Oh and we hemorrhaged money like a sieve, it was flying in and out so fast we couldn't keep up with it.

Back in January I found a check for 365 UK pounds that I had never cashed. I called Norwich Union Insurance as I couldn't recall what the check was for. It turns out my wife lost a stone in her engagement ring and the insurers paid out. The trouble was that the check was in both our names and I couldn't pay it in at the time as we had separate accounts at that time. The nice lady on the phone said that they had cancelled the check as it was so old and were waiting for my call. They setup a bank draft and in 2 days I was 365 quid better off....

- Tim
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:39 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
I recall the first month or so when we moved here in '03 were crazy and very frustrating, as there is so much bureaucracy and form filling. It will all settle down after 3-4 months and then you will have the joy of the first tax filing, the first passport renewal, the first baby..... Oh and we hemorrhaged money like a sieve, it was flying in and out so fast we couldn't keep up with it.

Back in January I found a check for 365 UK pounds that I had never cashed. I called Norwich Union Insurance as I couldn't recall what the check was for. It turns out my wife lost a stone in her engagement ring and the insurers paid out. The trouble was that the check was in both our names and I couldn't pay it in at the time as we had separate accounts at that time. The nice lady on the phone said that they had cancelled the check as it was so old and were waiting for my call. They setup a bank draft and in 2 days I was 365 quid better off....
- Tim

BONUS!!!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Mel.. love how super-efficient you are - you put me to shame.. I've had application form for my SSN for 2 weeks, still haven't filled it in - Rubbish I am!!

Well done you!!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I did a double-take when you said you had found a 'love for bed' already

Sounds like things are going well
www.bedbathandbeyond.com

They ARE wonderful and easy to fall in love with.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:33 am
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

I rented from Cort during my first 3 months (just ended, I go back in a couple of weeks to get a real visa), they were fine. The cost was around $270pm for a 1 bed apt, but that was just for the basics, bed & bed stuff, sofas, side tables etc. Enough to get me by. During the 3 months I've been visiting Ikea off and on, so by the time they came for the stuff, the only thing I bought from Cort was the sofa for $200, which is quite a bargain. It's nothing special, but it's comfy and well made, and will do for a while.

I was a bit of an Ikea hoar in the UK (but chose wisely, some of their stuff really is cheap crap), so it's nice to carry on over here!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

wisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud ofwisewol has much to be proud of

Its great fun the 1st week , don't you think ? dont know about you but I am nearly 2 weeks in and now feel the need for a holiday !
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Just on cars too - I found this cool thing called www.zipcar.com (I have no connection to this business) in Pittsburgh which I believe is also in Atlanta. You sign up for a membership (can use a foreign license) and then you just go find where the zipcar is located in your city, reserve it, and drive it for as long as you need. It's a great idea if you just need a car sometimes to get somewhere or pick up stuff until you get your own car.

I wish I found out about this before I rented a car my first two weeks - I only used it a few times when I needed it, but it cost me around $300 to rent a car.. bummer.

----------------

I am almost 4 weeks in (can't believe it's that long, gone so fast!). Now have a job, apartment, housemate, car, internet, cell phone, state photo ID, learner's permit, SS card and credit card. I just need the drivers license, driving history and credit history built up and I'm all set!

Last edited by augigi; Mar 22nd 2008 at 7:07 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:57 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
dont forget websites like freecycle or craigslist for free second hand furniture - if you dont manage to buy everything straight away

well done on reaching the end of week one and being so well organised.
I want to thank you for reminding me about craigslist. Thanks to you I am now getting rid of 6 HUGE pampas grass plants. I put an ad in craigslist yesterday morning and got two emails about them, A guy is coming this afternoon to dig 'em up.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I want to thank you for reminding me about craigslist. Thanks to you I am now getting rid of 6 HUGE pampas grass plants. I put an ad in craigslist yesterday morning and got two emails about them, A guy is coming this afternoon to dig 'em up.

We have sold so much stuff on there, and ending up buying some too.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:51 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bevinva
We have sold so much stuff on there, and ending up buying some too.
need horse manure and top soil I shall "list" again,
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

That's a thought, we took out an above ground pool and have a hole to fill!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Love, love, love craigslist. I've sold houses, cars, crap galore, rented out apartments, found free stuff, amused myself no end, hired employees.. my list is nearly endless (haven't hired a hooker. yet.)

Oh yes!
Be sure to read the free stuff listings too.. I have not paid for compost/mulch for a few years now.. everyone's got leftovers!
I wanna come play in YOUR garden! Do you know the snow level went back down to 1000' this week?! That's COLD here!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:46 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by meauxna
Love, love, love craigslist. I've sold houses, cars, crap galore, rented out apartments, found free stuff, amused myself no end, hired employees.. my list is nearly endless (haven't hired a hooker. yet.)

Oh yes!
Be sure to read the free stuff listings too.. I have not paid for compost/mulch for a few years now.. everyone's got leftovers!
I wanna come play in YOUR garden! Do you know the snow level went back down to 1000' this week?! That's COLD here!
Well God knows I could use the help,

As for the snow, at least no worries on drought.