Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Update on AOS/ k3 kinda quick over here

Wikiposts

Update on AOS/ k3 kinda quick over here

Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Myharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant future
Post Update on AOS/ k3 kinda quick over here

Been a while, my marriage got off to a rocky start but right now we're crusing and things are looking up.
Just got back with the wife on a holiday from Canada, and got my EAD two weeks ago.
Today i received a letter from USCIS for my AOS interview which is on September 1.
only thing I was wondering is what are the vaccinations requirement that I needed to take once I got in the U.S and my second anniversary is on the 17th of september.
Am i going to get the conditional residence and then apply for the PR 16days later, and how much thats gonna cost me?
Or do I have to wait for another two years to apply for the PR (which will mean will have been married for 4years).
my wife seems to think that I can only get the PR once i Live in the U.S for over 2 years.
Help us clear this doubt... Please
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update on AOS/ k3 kinda quick over here

Originally Posted by Myharris
Been a while, my marriage got off to a rocky start but right now we're crusing and things are looking up.
Just got back with the wife on a holiday from Canada, and got my EAD two weeks ago.
Today i received a letter from USCIS for my AOS interview which is on September 1.
only thing I was wondering is what are the vaccinations requirement that I needed to take once I got in the U.S and my second anniversary is on the 17th of september.
Am i going to get the conditional residence and then apply for the PR 16days later, and how much thats gonna cost me?
Or do I have to wait for another two years to apply for the PR (which will mean will have been married for 4years).
my wife seems to think that I can only get the PR once i Live in the U.S for over 2 years.
Help us clear this doubt... Please
Hi myharris,

You will get CPR if you get approved before your 2nd wedding anniversary. Then, you'll apply to remove the conditions 2 years minus 90 days from the date you became a CPR.

When you go to your interview, you might point out to the officer that you are only a couple of weeks shy of your 2nd wedding anniversary, and see if they'll postpone approval until after that date. Not sure if they'll do it, but couldn't hurt to point that out to them.

Hope that clears up the issues!

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

only thing I was wondering is what are the vaccinations requirement that I needed to take once I got in the U.S
As for your vaccination requirement....if you applied for AOS within a year of your overseas medical, you don't need a whole new medical. You need to take proof of your vaccinations to an approved civil surgeon, and have them issue a Vaccination Supplement (this is a form they have in their office, you don't need to provide it for them). Look up the list of approved civil surgeons in your area on www.uscis.gov and shop around....seems prices vary widely. And don't let them talk you into a whole new medical if you don't need one...also seems the docs need some verbal convincing of that in person.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Myharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant futureMyharris has a brilliant future

So what happens if I am approved there and then...
thus giving me the CPR, can I just file for the removal of conditions right away?
My 2 years going to be up 16days after my AOS interview.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... can I just file for the removal of conditions right away?
You can file for removal of conditions 90 days prior to the 2nd anniversary of receiving CPR. It has nothing to do with when you were married... it has everything to do with when you receive CPR.

Ian
Old Jun 9th 2005, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can file for removal of conditions 90 days prior to the 2nd anniversary of receiving CPR. It has nothing to do with when you were married... it has everything to do with when you receive CPR.

Ian
thanks for clearing things up..
but what if my interview was after my second anniversary what will then be my status...
is is still going to be conditional....?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:09 pm

thanks for clearing things up..
but what if my interview was after my second anniversary what will then be my status...
is is still going to be conditional....?
No. If your interview was after your second wedding anniversary, you would recieve LPR - Legal Permanent Residence, no conditions.

If you have your interview, but for some reason or other are not approved right then and there, and approval happens after your second wedding anniversary, you'll be granted LPR.

If you are approved right then and there at your interview, you'll receive CPR - with conditions - and will have to apply to remove the conditions some time between April to June of 2007.

Not sure how you entered the states...but if it was a K-1, be aware that SOME offices only grant CPR to folks adjusting from K-1, even if it's past the 2nd wedding anniversary. It's rare, but it has happened.

Hope that cleared it up even more for you.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2005, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

I came on a k3 visa... then rescheduling my interview might work out in my favour... don't know if they will allow me though
Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:28 pm

I came on a k3 visa... then rescheduling my interview might work out in my favour... don't know if they will allow me though
Hi again,

Whatever you do, don't reschedule your interview!!! It's a high risk to take that they might not get your written notice of request to reschedule, or that they simply don't approve of your reason for rescheduling (and believe me, simply wanting to avoid conditional residency isn't a good reason). They may consider you a no-show, and consider your case abandoned. You'd have to petition to re-open it, and that's a hassle you probably don't want to deal with.

Why are you so opposed to having conditional residency? There's absolutely no difference between CPR and LPR's rights. The only difference is one is a 2-year GC and the other is a 10-year GC. Going about removing the conditions in a couple of years is pretty easy compared to all you've been through...simply filling out a form, paying a fee, sending a few support documents, and usually no interview required, either.

The best thing for you to do is to go to your interview, casually mention your upcoming 2-year wedding anniversary to the officer, and get the CPR stamp in your passport. Maybe the officer will postpone approval of your GC until after the 2-year mark...but if not, no big deal. You get to become a PR! yay!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 9th 2005, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

I am not going to miss that interview... just thought we had to pay another batch of money 2 years from now..
This is like one big family, don't know what I whould have done without the website...
someday I will donate for the upkeeping ...
read alot of stuff about people misssing their interview and I am not going that route.
just looking for a job right now and currently doing a real estate appraisal course.
Thanks a million BEx.... and i look forward to passing that interview.
btw I am in Minnesota anyone from around this way?
Old Jun 10th 2005, 3:35 am

I am not going to miss that interview... just thought we had to pay another batch of money 2 years from now..
You're welcome And you're right, there is another fee for removing the conditions. As of today, it's $200...but that could go up by the time you want to file the I-751. But you have almost 2 years to save that up.

Good luck at your interview...don't forget to come back and post your experience!

Rene
Old Jun 10th 2005, 4:02 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Myharris,

You might want to consider forgetting to take some critical document with you to the interview, and taking or mailing it in 3 weeks later .....

Regards, JEff

This is like one big family, don't know what I whould have done without the website...
someday I will donate for the upkeeping ...
read alot of stuff about people misssing their interview and I am not going that route.
just looking for a job right now and currently doing a real estate appraisal course.
Thanks a million BEx.... and i look forward to passing that interview.
btw I am in Minnesota anyone from around this way?
Old Jun 10th 2005, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Myharris,

You might want to consider forgetting to take some critical document with you to the interview, and taking or mailing it in 3 weeks later .....

Regards, JEff

Jeff that is sooooo sneaky and conniving... I like it. Very good suggestion for the OP if he is truly trying to avoid the CPR status and go straight for LPR. But not necessarily the right or best thing to do...

Ciao,
Jamie
Old Jun 10th 2005, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Jeff that is sooooo sneaky and conniving... I like it. Very good suggestion for the OP if he is truly trying to avoid the CPR status and go straight for LPR. But not necessarily the right or best thing to do...

Ciao,
Jamie
Good idea for someone who likes to take a gamble...I personally wouldn't do it. I'd want that approval ASAP

Rene
Old Jun 10th 2005, 6:25 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

I wouldn't either, but I think it's less of a gamble than trying to reschedule the interview.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Good idea for someone who likes to take a gamble...I personally wouldn't do it. I'd want that approval ASAP

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.