Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Unmarried child of US citizen

Unmarried child of US citizen

Old Nov 20th 2005, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

pundit is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Unmarried child of US citizen

I am sure this question has been asked before – but right at this time I was not able to find any old thread, please overlook my inadequacy.

My girlfriend is waiting to be a permanent resident of USA by family class possess as a unmarried child of US citizen. According to my lawyer if we get married now we have to wait 3 to 5 years then we both can land together and get our green card or If she became a green card holder before we get married it will take more that 5 years for me to be a permanent resident of USA.

My question is what happens if you married to a permanent resident of USA? I know about different priority class for both permanent resident of USA and US citizen. Is there any other kind of visa like “K”? If there is a visa type like that how long is the queue?

If you don’t have any opinion or suggestion about this issue – I would like to thank you just for reading my post. ~ Thanks !!
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unmarried child of US citizen

Originally Posted by pundit
I am sure this question has been asked before – but right at this time I was not able to find any old thread, please overlook my inadequacy.

My girlfriend is waiting to be a permanent resident of USA by family class possess as a unmarried child of US citizen. According to my lawyer if we get married now we have to wait 3 to 5 years then we both can land together and get our green card or If she became a green card holder before we get married it will take more that 5 years for me to be a permanent resident of USA.

My question is what happens if you married to a permanent resident of USA? I know about different priority class for both permanent resident of USA and US citizen. Is there any other kind of visa like “K”? If there is a visa type like that how long is the queue?

If you don’t have any opinion or suggestion about this issue – I would like to thank you just for reading my post. ~ Thanks !!
Hi:

The K-1/3 is limited to fiances/spouses of US citizens. There IS a non-immigrant classification "V" for spouse of LPR's -- to qualify for the "V" visa, the LPR spouse must file the petition before December 21, 2000 and three years must have elaspsed since the filing of the petition. It appears that you will not qualify for that.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 2:18 am

Default Re: Unmarried child of US citizen

pundit wrote:

> I am sure this question has been asked before – but right at this time
    > I was not able to find any old thread, please overlook my inadequacy.
    >
    > My girlfriend is waiting to be a permanent resident of USA by family
    > class possess as a unmarried child of US citizen. According to my lawyer
    > if we get married now we have to wait 3 to 5 years then we both can land
    > together and get our green card or If she became a green card holder
    > before we get married it will take more that 5 years for me to be a
    > permanent resident of USA.
    >
    > My question is what happens if you married to a permanent resident of
    > USA?

Didn't you answer this yourself with "If she became a green card holder
> before we get married it will take more that 5 years for me to be a