Reload this Page >

Unexpectedly refused a visa

Wikiposts

Unexpectedly refused a visa

Old Nov 19th 2009, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

per 170 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unexpectedly refused a visa

After having called the embassy and asked a few questions about my case, an officer (who did´nt handle my application during the interview) hinted that the reason for the rejection of my application for a tourist visa was probably that the officer in charge was afraid I was going to work illegally as a climbing- or skiing-guide. The reasons would be that I stated my interest in climbing and skiing as the reason for chosing Boulder, Colorado as my destination in the US, and that Boulder is the kind of place an illegal guide would go to. Being a beginner at climbing and a very mediocre skier it is very flattering to be described as a potential guide, but also a huge problem.

Because of this I have changed the following in my second application (it sure is harder to prove your incompetence than to prove your competence.....).

•Shorter stay (4 months rather than a year)
•Different area (San Fransisco instead of Boulder)
•Off season for skiing (July-October)
•Documents showing I have not taken any climbing- or skiguide courses for the largest organisers of such courses in Sweden.
•Academic transcript showing that I have been studying successfully or working during my years since high school. Leaving no time for work as a skiguide/skibum

Does anyone have any other suggestions about what to bring up/change?

If I get the tourist visa and I change my mind about the four months and instead, at arrival, declare an intent to stay for six months, will this be a problem? Will the immigration officer be alarmed because of my earlier rejected visa application, and take a look at my second visa application and point to my declared intent to stay for only four months? Or is it likely that he will simply look at my visa and grant me six months of stay if I explain my purpose convincingly?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 5:46 am
Just Joined

heantune is just really niceheantune is just really niceheantune is just really niceheantune is just really niceheantune is just really niceheantune is just really niceheantune is just really niceheantune is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
How far did the dog run into the forest?

Ian
Good. A much better one than the piece of string. How far is unknown, if not observed.

Perhaps the dog ran towards the sound of one hand clapping in the forest and got a 100 yards into the forest before it was hit by the falling tree that made no sound.....

H
Old Nov 19th 2009, 6:01 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by per 170
After having called the embassy and asked a few questions about my case, an officer (who did´nt handle my application during the interview) hinted that the reason for the rejection of my application for a tourist visa was probably that the officer in charge was afraid I was going to work illegally as a climbing- or skiing-guide. The reasons would be that I stated my interest in climbing and skiing as the reason for chosing Boulder, Colorado as my destination in the US, and that Boulder is the kind of place an illegal guide would go to. Being a beginner at climbing and a very mediocre skier it is very flattering to be described as a potential guide, but also a huge problem.

Because of this I have changed the following in my second application (it sure is harder to prove your incompetence than to prove your competence.....).

•Shorter stay (4 months rather than a year)
•Different area (San Fransisco instead of Boulder)
•Off season for skiing (July-October)
•Documents showing I have not taken any climbing- or skiguide courses for the largest organisers of such courses in Sweden.
•Academic transcript showing that I have been studying successfully or working during my years since high school. Leaving no time for work as a skiguide/skibum

Does anyone have any other suggestions about what to bring up/change?

If I get the tourist visa and I change my mind about the four months and instead, at arrival, declare an intent to stay for six months, will this be a problem? Will the immigration officer be alarmed because of my earlier rejected visa application, and take a look at my second visa application and point to my declared intent to stay for only four months? Or is it likely that he will simply look at my visa and grant me six months of stay if I explain my purpose convincingly?
Hi:

Several aphorisms --

You have made your bed -- you will have to sleep in it.

If you lie down with dogs, expect fleas.

Furthermore, deponent sayeth not.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 6:52 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heantune
How far is unknown, if not observed.
Close... but no cigar! Answer: the dog ran into the forest half way - after which, he's running out of the forest. The point here, is that just because an answer is cryptic, it doesn't necessarily follow that it isn't valid.

Ian
Old Nov 19th 2009, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Several aphorisms --

You have made your bed -- you will have to sleep in it.

If you lie down with dogs, expect fleas.
I assume you´re saying that I messed up as soon as I mentioned an interest in climbing and skiing? Or do you mean that I am bound to four months if that is what I state in my visa application?

Furthermore, deponent sayeth not.
This part I didn´t understand at all......
Old Nov 19th 2009, 7:32 am
Just Joined

heantune is just really niceheantune is just really niceheantune is just really niceheantune is just really niceheantune is just really niceheantune is just really niceheantune is just really niceheantune is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Close... but no cigar! Answer: the dog ran into the forest half way - after which, he's running out of the forest. The point here, is that just because an answer is cryptic, it doesn't necessarily follow that it isn't valid.

Ian
pffffpbbbetttt !!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 7:38 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ian and heantune, can you be complete with that now please?

per 170 is having enough trouble sorting out the replies here.
thx
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Ian and heantune, can you be complete with that now please?
Sorry! My bad!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Ian
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Last week I went for the interview for my second visa application. I guess they didn´t have enough staff, cause when I arrived there were 50 people in a 2.5 hour line outside of the embassy, shivering in the cold, and my officer just quickly browsed through my papers, asked three simple questions and then granted me a visa (hooray!). Not the one full year I had originally hoped for, but half a year in Canada and the autumn in the US isn´t too bad. I´m really looking forward to it. I don´t know what to think about the visa procedure. I did change my applications as described in the previous post, but I got the impression that it was important to get the right officer to handle your case.

Thanks for all the great advice from you guys here at the forum. I give you a lot of the credit for the happy ending. You were truly helpful!

/P
Old Dec 12th 2009, 3:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Last week I went for the interview for my second visa application. I guess they didn´t have enough staff, cause when I arrived there were 50 people in a 2.5 hour line outside of the embassy, shivering in the cold, and my officer just quickly browsed through my papers, asked three simple questions and then granted me a visa (hooray!). Not the one full year I had originally hoped for, but half a year in Canada and the autumn in the US isn´t too bad. I´m really looking forward to it. I don´t know what to think about the visa procedure. I did change my applications as described in the previous post, but I got the impression that it was important to get the right officer to handle your case.

Thanks for all the great advice from you guys here at the forum. I give you a lot of the credit for the happy ending. You were truly helpful!

/P
?
How long is your US visa valid for?
The visa validity and the period of admission are two different things.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
?
How long is your US visa valid for?
The visa validity and the period of admission are two different things.
I havn´t received it yet (it´ll be in the mail shortly). The officer said they usually give you six months at the POE, although I applied for four months. I did not ask about the visa validity.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 4:18 am

I havn´t received it yet (it´ll be in the mail shortly). The officer said they usually give you six months at the POE, although I applied for four months. I did not ask about the visa validity.
Ah, I see. Well congratulations!
We're due for a boatload of snow in the mountains here this weekend.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 4:33 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

I guess they didn´t have enough staff, cause when I arrived there were 50 people in a 2.5 hour line outside of the embassy, shivering in the cold
No, that is business as usual. 'Grats, anyway.