New to this...

Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

boardiemiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to this...

Hello
my lovely man and I are desperate to be in the same country, having met a couple of years ago and spent every day for the last 6 months speaking for at least an hour a day on Skype and so on (and plenty before that - it built up into something unavoidable ). We've visited each other a good few times and have a pretty solid paper trail, but neither of us qualify for anything other than a marriage based visa. I was wondering if anyone could offer a bit of reassurance or point out anything we should be aware of...

1) Before B & I were together, I was engaged briefly to a man I was trying to convince myself was right for me. I feel completely differently about B even at this distance and am sure he's as right for me as I can be, but is the fact I was engaged going to count against me?

2) I was severely depressed as a teenager as my father died and I was obese. I'm now happy, slim and about as far from suicidal as it's possible to be. How far back are they going to take psychiatric history into account? I've not been on any medication for a good couple of years, but I'm worried about that.

3) I'm also really worried about the medical in general. Do they do drugs tests, and if so - what? I might've been at the odd party and... um.... but I'm now horrified at the idea that it'll affect my chances of being with him. Should I shave all my hair off now or what?

4) I gather you can do the interviews and medicals etc while you're still in the UK, at the Embassy?

5) Once you have the visa, would you still be able to enter the US on a visa waiver just for a holiday? I think we'd both like to be able to live together immediately after marrying, which means I'd have to tie up loose ends re: jobs etc. and ship my stuff, but we'd like to be able to visit in the meantime. If the process takes a few months, and I'm not free to move if I get the visa, I'd like to stall the trip where I get married, if you follow. I guess he could always just visit me here in that time, instead.

Anyway.
I do hope someone can help me out with this stuff as we're due to see each other again in a couple of weeks and we're both trying to figure out what to do next.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to this...

Originally Posted by boardiemiss
Hello
my lovely man and I are desperate to be in the same country, having met a couple of years ago and spent every day for the last 6 months speaking for at least an hour a day on Skype and so on (and plenty before that - it built up into something unavoidable ). We've visited each other a good few times and have a pretty solid paper trail, but neither of us qualify for anything other than a marriage based visa. I was wondering if anyone could offer a bit of reassurance or point out anything we should be aware of...

1) Before B & I were together, I was engaged briefly to a man I was trying to convince myself was right for me. I feel completely differently about B even at this distance and am sure he's as right for me as I can be, but is the fact I was engaged going to count against me?
Thanks for sharing but your personal romantic history is not of interest to the USCIS or the US Consulate (thank goodness or we would all be in trouble I think).

2) I was severely depressed as a teenager as my father died and I was obese. I'm now happy, slim and about as far from suicidal as it's possible to be. How far back are they going to take psychiatric history into account? I've not been on any medication for a good couple of years, but I'm worried about that.
They want your medical history for life. However, if you weren't hospitalized for the depression then you don't need to speak of it. If you are not on anti-depressants at the moment, that is great. If you are, then it must be disclosed and a letter from your GP will clear up why you are on them.

3) I'm also really worried about the medical in general. Do they do drugs tests, and if so - what? I might've been at the odd party and... um.... but I'm now horrified at the idea that it'll affect my chances of being with him. Should I shave all my hair off now or what?
Yes they test for drugs, HIV and SIDs. They don't do hair tests but blood tests. If you took party drugs ten or even 3 years ago, then there is no issue. If you don't have any criminal history due to drugs, then no need to worry.

4) I gather you can do the interviews and medicals etc while you're still in the UK, at the Embassy?
Not you can do but rather YOU MUST DO both the interview and the medical in the UK.

I neglected to ask which visa you will be applying for? Will you go the K-1 Fiancee Visa or will you marry first and remain in the UK for the filing and issuance of the Immediate Relative Visa. You do know that you just can't have the intent to jump on a plane, come to the US, get married and stay here to adjust status. Nor can he go there and marry you and bring you back on the next flight without the proper immigration visa. All in all, either visa will take 6 to 8 months to obtain.

5) Once you have the visa, would you still be able to enter the US on a visa waiver just for a holiday? I think we'd both like to be able to live together immediately after marrying, which means I'd have to tie up loose ends re: jobs etc. and ship my stuff, but we'd like to be able to visit in the meantime. If the process takes a few months, and I'm not free to move if I get the visa, I'd like to stall the trip where I get married, if you follow. I guess he could always just visit me here in that time, instead.
Okay that answers some of my above question. You have no clue about US marriage-based immigration visas. I strongly suggest you visit the wiki and look up the K-1 Fiancee Visa and the CR-1 Visa.

Then come back and ask that question.

Anyway.
I do hope someone can help me out with this stuff as we're due to see each other again in a couple of weeks and we're both trying to figure out what to do next.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, Welcome to BE
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Thanks for sharing but your personal romantic history is not of interest to the USCIS or the US Consulate (thank goodness or we would all be in trouble I think).
Right. Ok. That's good.

They want your medical history for life. However, if you weren't hospitalized for the depression then you don't need to speak of it. If you are not on anti-depressants at the moment, that is great. If you are, then it must be disclosed and a letter from your GP will clear up why you are on them.
I wasn't admitted to a psychiatric ward, but I was treated on two occasions for overdoses. Lame 17 year old stuff. As I said, no problems for at least 5 years and been off the anti depressants for about 2 and a half. So that sounds rather promising.

Yes they test for drugs, HIV and SIDs. They don't do hair tests but blood tests. If you took party drugs ten or even 3 years ago, then there is no issue. If you don't have any criminal history due to drugs, then no need to worry.
I have never taken anything stronger than pot, and definitely have no criminal convictions. I even have enhanced CRBs for the past 3.5 years so I know my police record is clear. That's helpful.

Will you go the K-1 Fiancee Visa or will you marry first and remain in the UK for the filing and issuance of the Immediate Relative Visa. You do know that you just can't have the intent to jump on a plane, come to the US, get married and stay here to adjust status. Nor can he go there and marry you and bring you back on the next flight without the proper immigration visa. All in all, either visa will take 6 to 8 months to obtain.

Okay that answers some of my above question. You have no clue about US marriage-based immigration visas. I strongly suggest you visit the wiki and look up the K-1 Fiancee Visa and the CR-1 Visa.
Yes, I am aware that we can't just get married whenever we feel like it then hang out and wait for paperwork. That's why I'm looking at this stuff now - sorry, I wasn't terribly clear about which visas. I have looked at the wiki on K-1 & CR-1 and that was our intention - get the K-1 while I'm still here working and saving, when I'm free to move over THEN we would marry, adjust the status afterwards and apply for a work permit. I have enough saved now to allow me to spend over a year out of work.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:54 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by boardiemiss

I wasn't admitted to a psychiatric ward, but I was treated on two occasions for overdoses. Lame 17 year old stuff. As I said, no problems for at least 5 years and been off the anti depressants for about 2 and a half. So that sounds rather promising.
Okay the issue here is the overdoses. You will need a letter from your doctor stating your medical background on this, the treatment and how you have been clear of depression and emotional despondency since then. It is definitely overcomeable. Is that a word?

I have never taken anything stronger than pot, and definitely have no criminal convictions. I even have enhanced CRBs for the past 3.5 years so I know my police record is clear. That's helpful.
There you go.

Yes, I am aware that we can't just get married whenever we feel like it then hang out and wait for paperwork. That's why I'm looking at this stuff now - sorry, I wasn't terribly clear about which visas. I have looked at the wiki on K-1 & CR-1 and that was our intention - get the K-1 while I'm still here working and saving, when I'm free to move over THEN we would marry, adjust the status afterwards and apply for a work permit. I have enough saved now to allow me to spend over a year out of work.

Perfect, I love the K-1 Fiancee Visa. We went that route ourselves.

Once the I-129F has been completed by your USC fiancee and submitted for processing, you can still travel to the US. Just be sure that you have strong ties back in the UK and can prove that you will be returning if asked at the Port of Entry. He should have no difficulties with the POE going to the UK.

The entire process for the K-1, from filing of the I-129F, its approval, transfer to the US Consulate in London, your portion of the K-1 paperwork, medical and visa interview should be 6 to 8 months.

Once you are approved and your passport has been returned with the shiny visa in it, you will have 6 months to enter the US with the intent to marry within 90 days of entry and filing for adjustment of status. You or he can d/l the I-129F and the G-325A's and get started completing them on his next visit.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 1:55 pm
Concierge

Once you enter the US on the K-1 you wait 10 days and then apply for social security number. When you file for AOS you will also include the petition for the employment authorization document. Only takes between 60 and 90 days to get. Once you have that, you are free to work.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

At your medical you will be asked to fill out a questionnaire and one of the questions is 'Have you ever misused or abused drugs'?

Here's a link to the questionnaire. http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...018a_Oct08.pdf
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Okay the issue here is the overdoses. You will need a letter from your doctor stating your medical background on this, the treatment and how you have been clear of depression and emotional despondency since then. It is definitely overcomeable. Is that a word?
Thanks! I am perfectly happy to go and talk to a psychiatrist and get evaluated right now if it means they overlook the fact that when I was 17 I was a little drama queen. I should think I'll have no problem there. I also had some therapy about 5 years ago, but the records should exist for that and as it was quite a specific problem I should think anyone reviewing me now would be able to put a "relatively sane" stamp on me.

Perfect, I love the K-1 Fiancee Visa. We went that route ourselves.

Once the I-129F has been completed by your USC fiancee and submitted for processing, you can still travel to the US. Just be sure that you have strong ties back in the UK and can prove that you will be returning if asked at the Port of Entry. He should have no difficulties with the POE going to the UK.
Brilliant. Looks like European Mini Breaks a go go then.

The entire process for the K-1, from filing of the I-129F, its approval, transfer to the US Consulate in London, your portion of the K-1 paperwork, medical and visa interview should be 6 to 8 months.

Once you are approved and your passport has been returned with the shiny visa in it, you will have 6 months to enter the US with the intent to marry within 90 days of entry and filing for adjustment of status. You or he can d/l the I-129F and the G-325A's and get started completing them on his next visit.
That's a lot quicker than I would've hoped, actually. I will have to get police checks from Germany but will request those as soon as we sit down together and decide it's definitely happening. If they take the same amount of time as the ones in the UK, it'll be 2-3 months - so should arrive in time for the interview where they go over our documents with a bit of luck. If it doesn't, I suppose I'll have to look at rescheduling the interview when I have all the paperwork physically in my hands.

That HAS been a help, thanks again.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:25 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English Muffin
At your medical you will be asked to fill out a questionnaire and one of the questions is 'Have you ever misused or abused drugs'?

Here's a link to the questionnaire. http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...018a_Oct08.pdf
And how can I put this subtly.....

If you answer yes to the question, you probably won't be coming.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:04 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by English Muffin

Originally Posted by fatbrit
And how can I put this subtly.....

If you answer yes to the question, you probably won't be coming.

Doesn't sound to me that she misused (she used it for the intended purpose) nor did she abuse it (she used it occasionally, habitually).
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't sound to me that she misused (she used it for the intended purpose) nor did she abuse it (she used it occasionally, habitually).
I think Fatbrit is referring to what she said here:

I was treated on two occasions for overdoses.

Rene
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

And? If she answers yes to this question, the party is probably over. However she used it. Once is experimental, twice and you're toast.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:22 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I think Fatbrit is referring to what she said here:

I was treated on two occasions for overdoses.

Rene
I''m referring to admitting to the marijuana use.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:23 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by fatbrit
And? If she answers yes to this question, the party is probably over. However she used it. Once is experimental, twice and you're toast.

But why would she answer yes? She isn't asked if she used it but asked if she misused it or abused it. Sorry, didn't realize you needed a map to get to the answer.

And no, Rene, it was not in regards to her medical issue (suicide attempt?) i.e. overdose on prescription drugs but her use of recreational drugs.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

For the confused, there are two questions here: 1 regarding the medical exam + self harm through use of drugs and 1 regarding the visa application "have you ever" question.
Each is potentially problematic.

OP, you may underestimate the visa application process; a K-1 visa without issues take 6-8 months from start to move date.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.