Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

UK to US temporary stay for relationships.

UK to US temporary stay for relationships.

Old May 27th 2017, 6:51 am
Just Joined

ChrisJG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to US temporary stay for relationships.

I am in a long distance relationship and we have been together for the past year. My girlfriend is studying in university and I work full time as a sound engineer in the UK. I have traveled to the States a couple of times on an ESTA to visit her. I would like to permanently move to the US although we do want to marry and move in together I feel it's far too early to jump into something like that and at this current point in time we would not meet the minimal finacial requirments on the K1 as she is a student. I dont mind visiting but it kills me that I can only go for short periods at a time. Is there a temporary soloution, a visa that allows me to enter and stay for 6 months or a year preferably which lets me work. Or am I asking for too much and just keep the small visits until we are ready for the K1?
Old May 27th 2017, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to US temporary stay for relationships.

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

You may find that after reviewing the above list marriage is the only way this is possible. It's common for this to be the case.

You mention financials. Any US citizen or legal permanent resident can be your financial sponsor for the K-1 visa (form I-134). It doesn't need to be your fiance(e) or even related to that person.
Old May 27th 2017, 9:28 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

There is no 'shack up with the girlfriend to see if it works longer term' visa. From what you've said, it's marriage and immigration or continuing to use the VWP for you.
Old May 27th 2017, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisJG
... although we do want to marry and move in together I feel it's far too early to jump into something like that...
This being the case, your options are severely limited. Read through the link that tom169 provided... and keep in mind that most people in the world, including most from the UK, will never come to the US as anything other than a visitor.

I dont mind visiting but it kills me that I can only go for short periods at a time.
Sadly, there is much about life that disappoints us... this is one of those! US immigration doesn't care about your emotional turmoil.

Is there a temporary soloution, a visa that allows me to enter and stay for 6 months or a year preferably which lets me work.
There is not, no.

Or am I asking for too much and just keep the small visits until we are ready for the K1?
This seems to be the only viable way forward just now.

Ian
Old May 27th 2017, 1:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

You may find that after reviewing the above list marriage is the only way this is possible. It's common for this to be the case. ....
It was for me, and more than a few other of us here.

The reality that many of us here, including me, have faced and dealt with - that if you want to make your life together with someone who may be your life partner, you need to make the leap and get married. There is rarely any other way.

My wife is from the US, and I was living in London when we first "met" on line. We married 20 months later having spent a grand total six weeks together face-to-face, of which one was the week before we got married, and another two were at Christmas two months before we got married. We have now been married for 17 years.
Old May 27th 2017, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case in your research you come across the B1/B2 visa and say "Voila" a visa which allows me to stay for 6 months, do not apply for this visa.

As someone who has the privilege of using the VWP program you will undoubtedly be refused the B1/B2 visa for a)being able to use the VWP program, b) young so a risk of working illegally, and b) having a "romantic" interest in the US.

Having been refused this visa you will then find you cannot use the VWP program - so completely stimied.

Stick to the VWP program.
Old May 27th 2017, 7:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
.... As someone who has the privilege of using the VWP program you will undoubtedly be refused the B1/B2 visa for a)being able to use the VWP program, b) young so a risk of working illegally, and b) having a "romantic" interest in the US

Having been refused this visa you will then find you cannot use the VWP program for at least 6-12 months- so completely stymied.

Stick to the VWP program.
FIFY. .... Otherwise, that's all good advice.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 27th 2017 at 7:06 pm.
Old May 28th 2017, 4:41 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

The majority of USCs can visit the U.K. for up to 6 months a time. Why doesn't she use that option to visit you for a longer period? She must have a few months off in the summer? Make it a two-way street.

Bear in mind that if you go down the K-1 route you won't be able to work for several months. If she doesn't meet the requirements for the I-134 (and they are levels that many people would struggle to exist on) then she's going to really struggle supporting you also before you can work. Not to mention the costs of the process.