From UK to US

Old Sep 16th 2018, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Alba2018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From UK to US

First post. I’ve been reading after finding this forum for only a few weeks. I’m not being lazy just thought maybe some one would be able to offer some insight to my plight.

Apologies in advance if some info is superfluous.

Background:

In relationship with USC for last ~ 9 years. Im a UKC aged 50 she is 49. Long distance relationship. We both travelled twice a year each but in the last 3 years I’ve travelled 2-3 times per year for 4 to 10 weeks with max of around 16 weeks a year via ESTA. She has been unable to travel the last 3 years.

(For those interested I’ve never had any issue with USIC except once in 2012 went to secondary had 5 min chat some basic questions no issues).

Around 3 years ago she was diagnosed (although no definitive diagnosis as yet!?) with several degenerative conditions (arthritis etc) and due to extreme pain has since been unable to work. The last 3 years has depleted her savings. She has applied for government assistance (disability) through her attorney which to date has been denied.

She is divorced with 17yo daughter and shared parental responsibility. Daughter will attend Uni Aug 2019 she’ll be 18.

I’m unmarried and have no responsibilities per se. I’m self employed and can work as and when it suits. I do have a medical condition diagnosed 2 years ago albeit I’m physically fit and active. This was mild angina and as my father suffered similar I elected to have an optional stent fitted. I take preventative medication such as aspirin and cholesterol medication. My annual medicals have been clear.

My mistake not getting married and possibly moving to USA a number of years ago but hey that’s hindsight.

I’m an engineer and I have ~£30k in cash, no debts, a small early pension of £4.5k per annum and a property with value ~ £50k owned outright (unsure in present climate if this could be liquidated) or around £4k annual rent if let. Some additional funds may become available.

A sponsor MAY not be possible as the financial crisis left many US family members in financial trouble. However not really looked at this yet fully.

If we were married would my assets be joint assets and would that be enough in lieu of sponsorship?

I doubt I’d have any issue securing work in my field in USA if I was able to relocate.

The idea would be to marry and if/when feasible both live/work in US,

I see multiple issues namely dependent child, partners illness and currently unable to work, assets and my pre-exiting medical condition.

Many thanks for any input.
Cheers
Alan
Old Sep 17th 2018, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From UK to US

None of the 'issues' you raise are issues at all! The health of your fiance and educational status her child are completely irrelevant to the process.

Read through Pulaski's Ways for details of hat is actually needed and feel free to ask questions. The only potential problem I see is the sponsiorship income/savings requirement. You ar most likely going to need a co-spnsor.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 12:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The only issue I see is the sponsorship - unless your assets are actually conjoined (in the same account) I don't see that flying.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Alba2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks

im unable to read wikis on my iPhone for some reason will try with a computer.
Old Sep 17th 2018, 6:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski's ways will only be helpful if you are planning on emigrating to the US based on an investment or work visa. As you are asking about a marriage-based visa, it will not help in that endeavor. But it is good read and invaluable none-the-less.