Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Two questions related to EAD and SSN

Two questions related to EAD and SSN

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

toothy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two questions related to EAD and SSN

Hi there. I'm in the US on a K-1 visa, got married in September and have my green card interview next month.

A few days ago I got email notification from USCIS that my EAD (employment authorization document) is being produced. The email states that I should expect to wait 30 days to have it in my hand.

My first question: what are your experiences on that timeframe, from the email notification to receiving the EAD? 30 days? Less? More?

My second question. Months ago I got my Social Security Card. I've now managed to lose it. I have a potential job opportunity starting in a few weeks which I don't want to jeopardize - so my question. Can I start work if I have the EAD and at least the social security number, and not the card? Or is the card itself actually required?

Thanks guys
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two questions related to EAD and SSN

Originally Posted by toothy
My first question: what are your experiences on that timeframe, from the email notification to receiving the EAD? 30 days? Less? More?
Yes... more or less than 30 days! Usually though, it comes sooner.

Can I start work if I have the EAD and at least the social security number, and not the card? Or is the card itself actually required?
Yes, you can start work. You should contact SSA and get a replacement card... your SS# will stay the same.

Ian
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:56 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

when you go into the ss office they should also be able to give you a print out with it on to help until the new card comes.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

toothy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info guys.
I got a second notice that my EAD has been produced, indentical to the first. Apparently that's normal, I'm hoping for it to arrive in the next week.

I'll order a new SS card (...that's Social Security) tomorrow. The only thing that worried me was that my wife (an American) mentioned that when she's started new jobs they've photocopied her card. So I wasn't sure if that was necessary or not.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toothy
I'll order a new SS card (...that's Social Security) tomorrow. The only thing that worried me was that my wife (an American) mentioned that when she's started new jobs they've photocopied her card. So I wasn't sure if that was necessary or not.
The company I work for also requires a photocopy of the applicant's SS card. They will accept the letter from SS office saying one has been ordered, and when the SS card arrives, then they take a photocopy of it.

Rene
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

FYI, there is a limit to how many Social Security cards can be issued to you in your lifetime for reasons like 'I lost it'. Keep it in a safe place; a SS card should not be carried in your wallet.
My DH wrote his number backward on a random scrap of paper he kept in his wallet. No wonder he never memorized it going the right direction.