Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Traveling to US before officially moving

Traveling to US before officially moving

Old Jul 29th 2019, 9:06 am
Just Joined

klawrence is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traveling to US before officially moving

My husband, UKC, is scheduling his medical interview for end of this week, then we can schedule his interview a week from then at the earliest. We have plans to travel to the US in October for a wedding. If we schedule his interview before October and his visa is approved, is it an issue that we then travel to the US in October, visa is converted to a green card, we come back to the UK and then don't move to the US until about December/January? Is it better to schedule his interview after our October travel? I know he's eligible for citizenship after living in the US for 3 years continuously, so understand that wouldn't be until we move officially. I don't think there should be an issue with this as the medical is good for 6 months, but would also be easier if his visa is approved sooner rather than later so he can start interviewing for jobs. Thank you!
Old Jul 29th 2019, 9:39 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling to US before officially moving

As long as he has a US address for them to mail his SS card and green card to, it will be fine to come to the USA in October, activate his PR status, then go back to the UK for a few months to wrap things up. Lots of people do this.

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2019, 9:54 am
Just Joined

klawrence is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok great! Thank you for that. We are using my dad's address for all correspondence. Since we'd go back to the UK a few days after arriving in the USA for the wedding, I'm assuming his green card wouldn't have arrived at my dad's by the time we head back. Does he need it in hand when we return to the US a few months later for good? Should my dad mail it to us in the UK if so?
Old Jul 29th 2019, 12:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, the I-551 stamped into his passport at the US port of entry is the paper version of his green card and will suffice to return to the US. The actual card itself might not arrive for six months or more so just have dad hold on to it in a safe place.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

I did exactly the same. Had my interview a few weeks before i had to travel to the US in Oct, but didn't plan on moving over until Jan. So if you travel in Oct with your nice package from US Embassy as mentioned above he will get his I-551 stamp. The other benefit is that it should hopefully trigger his SSN Card or not. When you return in Jan it will either be there and waiting at your dad's or not. If not you will of waited the minimum time from entry to go to a Social office to get a number. That's what i had to do. It sounds hit and miss if his SSN will automatically be triggered.