Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Traveling to marry under visa wavier program

Traveling to marry under visa wavier program

Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:09 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling to marry under visa wavier program

Now I'm confused.

I came to the US in May intending to marry my husband. Our wedding had been planned months ahead. I entered under the visa waiver program. At the end of 90 days I returned to the UK and began the I-129/1-130/K3 visa process.

In September I returned to the US, again under the visa waiver program. I am due to return to the UK this month. My US hubby is joining me and flying back with me in January.

According to my attorney (who has been right to date) I have done and am doing, nothing illegal.

CB

Originally posted by Rete
And the answer would be the truth because you were planning on returning to your country and going the I-130/K-3 route which they are doing. Can't see, in my opinion, that the US Consulate will have an issue with someone using the VWP to enter the US to marry and then returning abroad to proceed with an immigration processing. It is not unlawful to do that.

Besides what horrible scrunity will the K-3 or I-130 petitioner/beneficiary come under for marrying and returning abroad for processing. Nothing more than I can see would be asked of anyone going through the K-1 process. Prove your relationship.

Rete
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

juliep is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are planning on entering on the VWP be sure to bing plentyof evidence that you have striong ties to your home country. I have read of others doing this and having no problem entering as long as they were honest with their intensions. If you do come here, start the paperwork while you are here. There are plenty of applications that you will need to sign and sending them back and forth takes up so much time. But again just be honest with your intentions, and be prepared to answer why your family will not be attending the wedding. If you lie about your intensions, later on down the road it can come backto bite you. Visa Fraud could be considered, as the VWP is intended for non-immigratants.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

juliep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by CaliforniaBride
Now I'm confused.

I came to the US in May intending to marry my husband. Our wedding had been planned months ahead. I entered under the visa waiver program. At the end of 90 days I returned to the UK and began the I-129/1-130/K3 visa process.

In September I returned to the US, again under the visa waiver program. I am due to return to the UK this month. My US hubby is joining me and flying back with me in January.

According to my attorney (who has been right to date) I have done and am doing, nothing illegal.

CB

According to everything that I have been told, entering on the VWP while having any pending applications can later be considered Visa Fraud, as you do actually have intensions of imigrating to the US. If this is a possiblity, then why can't my husband enter this way? We are also going through the I-130/I-129F/K-3 process.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Now I'm confused.

CB
CB, don't be confused. There's nothing wrong with what you describe.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 12:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by juliep
According to everything that I have been told, entering on the VWP while having any pending applications can later be considered Visa Fraud, as you do actually have intensions of imigrating to the US. If this is a possiblity, then why can't my husband enter this way? We are also going through the I-130/I-129F/K-3 process.
Where does it read that it is Visa Fraud to enter the US on a VWP with a pending application?
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by meauxna
Where does it read that it is Visa Fraud to enter the US on a VWP with a pending application?
It's not. I think juliep was saying that if you enter the US permanently on a VWP with a pending application, then that would be fraud - and it might well be.

To simply come for a visit and return back again is perfectly legal.

That said, I understand it is almost impossible to enter even for a visit whilst an application is pending, because satisfying the officer at POE that you intend to leave is all the more difficult.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:23 pm

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
It's not. I think juliep was saying that if you enter the US permanently on a VWP with a pending application, then that would be fraud - and it might well be.

That said, I understand it is almost impossible to enter even for a visit whilst an application is pending, because satisfying the officer at POE that you intend to leave is all the more difficult.
hi,
I didn't see anything in juliep's post that indicated immigrating on the VWP; the implication was "visiting".

If you "understand" that it's nearly impossible to visit while one's application is pending, try a google group search for things like "visiting while K1 pending" or similar to see how to make the visit successful and legal. Proof of ties and in fact the petition itself can make the POE not a problem.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by meauxna
hi,
I didn't see anything in juliep's post that indicated immigrating on the VWP; the implication was "visiting".
I agree. I think the implication was that it was simply a visit.
If you "understand" that it's nearly impossible to visit while one's application is pending, try a google group search for things like "visiting while K1 pending" or similar to see how to make the visit successful and legal. Proof of ties and in fact the petition itself can make the POE not a problem.
I was referring particularly to the K-3. Technically you cannot be admitted as a visitor while this is pending. You're right, this can be overcome, so perhaps the term "nearly impossible" is too strong. It is very difficult.

Last edited by CalgaryAMC; Dec 1st 2003 at 1:55 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 3:41 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree Calgary. If you enter the US 'permanently' on a VWP does not make sense. How can you enter permanently? The permanency would not occur until 90 days had passed. If you enter intending to stay permanently and you follow through by staying permanently then you have overstayed and your K3 would NOT likely be issued. You would likely be deported and barred from entering the US.

As for entering the US on a VWP while an application is pending I can guarantee you that this is not 'almost impossible', far from it. Many spouses visit their partners while applications are pending. The fact that you have an application pending is not an indication in itself that you will not return. If anything it gives you more reason to return, it's an indication that you are doing everything legally.

The London Embassy website even give advice on what to do if you want to visit your spouse.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...e.htm#thirteen

You will find on this forum alone many people who have visited and are visiting their spouses in the US while an application is pending.

You can share my experience of POE

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=185176

A search on this website and others should give you other cases in support of this.

CB
Old Dec 1st 2003, 3:44 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

I agree. I think the implication was that it was simply a visit.

I was referring particularly to the K-3. Technically you cannot be admitted as a visitor while this is pending. You're right, this can be overcome, so perhaps the term "nearly impossible" is too strong. It is very difficult.
Just read this post. Although you seem to have changed a little of what you have originally said. I must point out that your statement that 'technically you cannot be admitted as a visitor while this is pending' is grossly incorrect.

CB
Old Dec 1st 2003, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't agree Calgary. If you enter the US 'permanently' on a VWP does not make sense.
I will have to start being very careful about my language, I can see that.

What I was referring to here was the difference between entering with the intention of leaving (a visit) and entering with the intention of staying. I was attempting to address the question asked in this thread by saying that you can legally enter through the VWP to get married if you are going to leave again after the marriage. This is exactly what I did, since my wife (American) and I live together in Canada and were not interested in remaining in the US after our marriage. However, if the intention is to enter on the VWP, get married, and then attempt to adjust status, then that could be viewed as fraud.

My apologies for the lack of clarity.

As for entering the US on a VWP while an application is pending I can guarantee you that this is not 'almost impossible', far from it. Many spouses visit their partners while applications are pending. The fact that you have an application pending is not an indication in itself that you will not return. If anything it gives you more reason to return, it's an indication that you are doing everything legally.
The advice I have received has been that entry with a visa application pending is difficult at best and for people from some countries and in some situations it is all but impossible. However, I did read the post about your experience and so clearly I am in error.

I am fortunate in that, as I've said, my wife and I are together in Canada whilst this processing is going on. I do feel for others who are apart.

Although you seem to have changed a little of what you have originally said
Yes, the time of my edit is timestamped. I edited for clarity because I think some of my comments have been taken out of context. I was assuming that people were reading the posts in succession and I see that my comments might not have made sense if that is not the case.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

I must point out that your statement that 'technically you cannot be admitted as a visitor while this is pending' is grossly incorrect.
CB
If it is grossly incorrect, I apologise. I hope I can be forgiven though:
http://www.newzcentral.com/articles/...nt/daily02.txt
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 5:44 am
Mattias Hembruch

In article <[email protected]>,
CalgaryAMC <member18489@british_expats.com> wrote:
    >Originally posted by meauxna
    >> Where does it read that it is Visa Fraud to enter the US on a VWP with
    >> a pending application?
    >It's not. I think juliep was saying that if you enter the US permanently
    >on a VWP with a pending application, then that would be fraud - and it
    >might well be.
    >To simply come for a visit and return back again is perfectly legal.
    >That said, I understand it is almost impossible to enter even for a
    >visit whilst an application is pending, because satisfying the officer
    >at POE that you intend to leave is all the more difficult.

Depends how you visit, I think..

I had very little difficulty, flying from Toronto to San Francisco..

If you drive, that might a different story..

Mattias

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 5:45 am
Mattias Hembruch

In article <[email protected]>,
CalgaryAMC <member18489@british_expats.com> wrote:
    >Originally posted by meauxna
    >> hi,
    >> I didn't see anything in juliep's post that indicated immigrating on
    >> the VWP; the implication was "visiting".
    >>
    >Neither did I. I think the implication was that it was simply a visit.
    >>
    >> If you "understand" that it's nearly impossible to visit while one's
    >> application is pending, try a google group search for things like
    >> "visiting while K1 pending" or similar to see how to make the visit
    >> successful and legal. Proof of ties and in fact the petition itself
    >> can make the POE not a problem.
    >>
    >Perhaps. The word impossible is too strong, but I dispute that it is
    >"not a problem." It can be done, certainly, but it is not easy and
    >careful preparation is required. There are some cases where I would say
    >it is, for all intents and purposes, impossible.

SOME cases, yes. It CAN be quite easy, though.

I took 5 minutes to get through US customs, and that included filling out a
new I-94W..

Mattias

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 6:06 am

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC Yes, the time of my edit is timestamped. I edited for clarity because I think some of my comments have been taken out of context. I was assuming that people were reading the posts in succession and I see that my comments might not have made sense if that is not the case.
This web-forum merely replicates alt.visa.us.marriage-based to/from Usenet. Editing done here does not always make it to Usenet, so there are 2 versions of your post now living on and on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.