Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Travel on VWP while K1 in process?

Wikiposts

Travel on VWP while K1 in process?

Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:33 am
Just Joined

weezy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel on VWP while K1 in process?

we filed the I-129f over 3 mths ago, and since we have stilll not heard of its approval, I am looking to travel into the US on the visa waiver (with my Br Passport). My lawyer has briefly mentioned that there are risks involved, but he is difficult to get hold of, so perhaps someone here could advise me.

I will not be overstaying over the 90 days, but I do not want to go if it would further slow down the K1 visa process, and possibly even jeoporadise my chances of getting one. I also will not even bother if it is highly likely that I will get sent back on my entry.

Also, are the visa wait times listed on the USCIS website accurate?

Thanks,
Weezy
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel on VWP while K1 in process?

Originally Posted by weezy
we filed the I-129f over 3 mths ago, and since we have stilll not heard of its approval, I am looking to travel into the US on the visa waiver (with my Br Passport). My lawyer has briefly mentioned that there are risks involved, but he is difficult to get hold of, so perhaps someone here could advise me.

I will not be overstaying over the 90 days, but I do not want to go if it would further slow down the K1 visa process, and possibly even jeoporadise my chances of getting one. I also will not even bother if it is highly likely that I will get sent back on my entry.

Thanks,
Weezy
It is perfectly legal to use the VWP to visit the USA while the K-1 processes. It won't slow down your process, and it won't stop you from getting it. The only risk is that the POE officer can decide you have immigrant intent and not let you into the USA. If you choose to try visiting, bring plenty of proof of your ties to the UK...home, work, family...that proves you do not intend to remain in the USA on this visit.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:57 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel on VWP while K1 in process?

Originally Posted by weezy

Thanks,
Weezy
Can you point me to what you're looking at? USCIS doesn't provide visa wait times. If you're thinking of the I-129F processing time, it's just a rough estimate and your own petition maybe be faster or slower than what's posted. That's only for the petition part in the USA...you still have the visa application and interview over on the UK side eventually.

Rene