Reload this Page >

Travel outside US while I-751 Pending Approval

Wikiposts

Travel outside US while I-751 Pending Approval

Old May 11th 2007, 3:39 am
Just Joined

Tom_S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel outside US while I-751 Pending Approval

Is it possible to travel outside US (or more like re-enter US after traveling outside) while my I-751 is pending approval and current GC is expired?

I asked this question to several people and they all give me differing answers. The obvious safe bet is to just stay in the US until I receive my new GC.

- Tom_S
Old May 11th 2007, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel outside US while I-751 Pending Approval

As long as you have the extension letter. It's no guarantee that you will be let back in, but it isn't guaranteed with a green card either. There should be no difference using the extension letter + expired green card and using an unexpired green card.
Old May 11th 2007, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Duncan,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am also in the Cleveland area :-)

I have heard this answer before so can anyone else comment?

Has anyone traveled using their expired GC and I-751 receipt?

- Tom_S
Old May 11th 2007, 5:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom_S
Duncan,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am also in the Cleveland area :-)

I have heard this answer before so can anyone else comment?

Has anyone traveled using their expired GC and I-751 receipt?

- Tom_S
I haven't done so, but I have seen many other reports that it is perfectly acceptable to travel using your expired GC plus extention letter.

Rene
Old May 11th 2007, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Rene,

Is the "Extension Letter" you mention and the receipt for the I-751 the same thing?

- Tom
Old May 11th 2007, 6:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

Is the "Extension Letter" you mention and the receipt for the I-751 the same thing?

- Tom
I'm not sure, to be honest, we haven't received ours yet. You will get a letter which says "your permanent resident status is extended for one year", and that is the letter you need for travel. If you get any kind of receipt which does not say that, it's not the right one for use in travel.

Rene
Old May 11th 2007, 8:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Rene,

- Tom
Tom, it's just as Noorah101 describes.. you will receive a receipt letter with the extension language on it, extending your work and travel permissions specifically. That letter, plus the expired green card, are valid travel documents, and many, many people have reported using them to re-enter the US with no problem.
You'll find more personal experiences posted in the alt.visa.us.marriage-based group than here, I suspect.