Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

translation of documents?

translation of documents?

Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

bybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud of
Default translation of documents?

Hi there.

My husband is applying as LPR through DCF in London. We're finally at the stage of having just sent in our Notification of Readiness (DS-2001). In the most recent lette we received from London (is this called NOA2?, NOA3?), it discusses the requirement for translation of any documents in another language. We have several in Spanish and will translate to English.

On the web-site of the the Immigrant visa unit it says the following:

"All documents not in English must be accompanied by certified English translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator that state that the translation is accurate, and the translator is competent to translate."

BUT in the letter from the London immigrant visa unit, it says additionally that the certification must be sworn to in front of a notary public.

Does anyone have experience with this? Everything I've seen on the forum (and the Immigrant Visa unit's own web-site) suggests that a translation with a sworn statment of its' accuracy is enough.

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

bybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud ofbybarra has much to be proud of
Default Re: translation of documents?

One more comment:

Of course we CAN have the statement sworn to in front of a notary public, but this is pretty expensive for multiple documents, so I would obviously like to avoid it if possible.

I've seen in other posts that the some intending immigrants have done their own translations and certified them themselves. We were hoping to do the same.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bybarra
Does anyone have experience with this?
Anyone can do the translation as long as the person is able to give an accurate rendering. A notary is not required as long as the translation has the "magic language" signed and dated - you'll need to do a search of the forum to find the language.

Okay... I found it: "I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States that the forgoing is true and correct." [Date][Signature].

Ian
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian.

I have seen these posts and was planning on using the language therein. I'm just a little scared to go ahead with it that way when the letter from the actual visa unit says "sworn to in front of a notary public".

I'm just afraid of getting there and having someone say "Didn't your read the letter?"
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bybarra
Thanks Ian.

I have seen these posts and was planning on using the language therein. I'm just a little scared to go ahead with it that way when the letter from the actual visa unit says "sworn to in front of a notary public".

I'm just afraid of getting there and having someone say "Didn't your read the letter?"
I agree with Ian that with the correct verbage on the translation, you should be OK.

However, if you will be worrying about it, go ahead and pay to have them notarized, you'll sleep better at night knowing you did everything possible the right way.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reassurance Rene. The whole process makes me second-guess and worry about everything. It's really great to be able to come here for hearing experiences and advice from those who have been through it already...