Reload this Page >

Transferring file and EAD and AP renewel

Transferring file and EAD and AP renewel

Old Feb 17th 2003, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone?? Transferring file...

Hi,

I posted this a couple of days ago and got no response but as it's worrying me a little I want to give it another go. I'm sure most of you undertand how these things can really niggle at you.

We are moving from NYC to CT in June and therefore I will be changing INS offices also. My status is currently awaiting my first AOS interview and I am no where near getting my interview date. The renewel of my current EAD and AP will be around the exact time I will be asking the INS to transfer my file from NY to CT and I know the transfer may take a while to happen. If I request my file transferred in June when we are settled into a new address, do I send my EAD and AP renewel application to CT office even though at that time they won't have my file?
Any info on transferring files from NYC (or any office) would be appreciated. Is it as much of a nightmare as I anticipate or does it actually happen reasonably quickly?
Thanks so much.

Last edited by desusa; Feb 19th 2003 at 12:46 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2003, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

By the way I am not in the US at the moment so it is not easy for me to get onto the INS hotline to ask them.
Old Feb 19th 2003, 3:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by desusa
By the way I am not in the US at the moment so it is not easy for me to get onto the INS hotline to ask them.
The hotline doesn't give correct information so it is not important.

You need to file a change of address within ten days of moving. It is the law. You need to advise the NYC INS office by official notification and my suggestion would be to also write them and advise them that you need your file transferred to the Hartford, CT INS office. Then go in person if possible to the Hartford office and ask them to request transfer of your file from NYC. Any written communication to any INS office should be sent by certified, reciepted and/or traceable mail as proof that you sent in the change of address form and when it was received.

Do not, and I cannot stress that strongly enough, do not wait until the last minute to effectuate the transfer of the files. If you are purchasing a new home, as soon as you have signed the deal, start the transfer of files. NYC at its best is a turtle and your file will lanquish in their offices, if not sent to archive, while you wait to apply for EAD and AP renewal. Also apply for those earlier than 90 days.

Rete
Old Feb 19th 2003, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou Rete...as usual you have answered my questions. I will do as you said regarding the change of address and also go into the Hartford office in person to ask them to request the transfer. Do you know whether I can send in the renewel applications soon after I request the transfer but before the file is actually at Hartford or do they only process these when they have your file at their office? Assuming NYC may be slow to actually send the file I am afraid I will not be able to renew my AP or EAD for a period in between and would hate to be without these. Thanks again. Your advice has made me feel more 'in the know' which really helps. I hate worrying about this stuff!
Old Feb 19th 2003, 4:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by desusa
Thankyou Rete...as usual you have answered my questions. I will do as you said regarding the change of address and also go into the Hartford office in person to ask them to request the transfer. Do you know whether I can send in the renewel applications soon after I request the transfer but before the file is actually at Hartford or do they only process these when they have your file at their office? Assuming NYC may be slow to actually send the file I am afraid I will not be able to renew my AP or EAD for a period in between and would hate to be without these. Thanks again. Your advice has made me feel more 'in the know' which really helps. I hate worrying about this stuff!
As soon as you have a legal mailing address in Connecticut you can mail your forms into the Hartford office. In fact, you might want to include a copy of the transfer request letter with each of the applications you are renewing. Just another nudge to get them moving.

Rete
Old Feb 20th 2003, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Great idea...will do...Thanks again!