Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Torn Mysterious Brown Envelope/problem?

Wikiposts

Torn Mysterious Brown Envelope/problem?

Old May 3rd 2002, 4:40 pm
Synchro1212

Default Torn Mysterious Brown Envelope/problem?

I have gotten a couple of responses with this, but if anyone has had this happen
please tell me your opinions....Fiance was packing and the side of envelope tore
about 3 inches. He is coming to Texas on May 10 to live. Too late to go to embassy,
and dont know that he would even get another envelope. Shall we tape it up and just
tell INS it started to tear so we taped it up all over so it wouldn't tear anymore,
or wait until we get to POE and tell them it tore some or what. Nothing can come out
unless you try to work it out, but you may tear it more. My concern is if we dont
tape it, it could tear more and then we could lose something out of it, or they may
think he did it on purpose. Any help would be good, fiance is very upset. Also,
thanks for those that have responded....

Old May 3rd 2002, 4:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Torn Mysterious Brown Envelope/problem?

Shame that had to happen. 3 inches isn't much. (No comments guys on that one)

Since he can't go back to the Consulate for a new envelope, there isn't much you can do now is there.

If you can't get documents out of the torn area and it really does look torn and not slit like with a letter opener, then you should be fine. Have fiancee be extra careful with it during the trip. Don't want that tear to get bigger.
Old May 3rd 2002, 7:40 pm
Lindsay

Default Re: Torn Mysterious Brown Envelope/problem?

It sounds like a honest mistake--and throughout reading about the dealings with the
INS through this newsgroup and through hearing about others experiences, honesty
really is the best policy with them. If your fiance is visibly nervous and upset
about the tear, I'm sure the INS will realize that it was a mistake. Just make sure
he has the story intact, regarding his packing and the brown envelope tearing by
accident, and take it from there. Don't worry! Beyond an utter disaster, all signs
point to: "You'll be fine!"

Smile a little... )

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Shame that had to happen. 3 inches isn't much. (No comments guys on that one)
    >
    > Since he can't go back to the Consulate for a new envelope, there isn't much you
    > can do now is there.
    >
    > If you can't get documents out of the torn area and it really does look torn and
    > not slit like with a letter opener, then you should be fine. Have fiancee be extra
    > careful with it during the trip. Don't want that tear to get bigger.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com