Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

emergency Affidavit of Support question

emergency Affidavit of Support question

Old Apr 30th 2002, 8:10 am
Luanne

Default emergency Affidavit of Support question

I received good news and bad news today.

Good news is that I found out that my Consulate interview in Montreal is scheduled
for May 8th.

Bad news is that my USC fiance just phoned to tell me that he got laid off today.

He already wrote up an Affidavit of Support and got it notarized a few weeks ago
(when he was still employed). I'm guessing that in light of today's unfortunate news
we'll now have to get a co-sponsor. Is that correct?

Problem is, suppose he cannot find a co-sponsor in time for the interview which is
less than 2 weeks away, what happens then?

I'm from Canada and have some money saved up. How much do I need to show the
Consulate to qualify to be above the 125% poverty line?

Speed is of the essence, so I'd be very grateful for any responses I get!

Thanks a lot,

Luanne

Cmagill

Default Re: emergency Affidavit of Support question

I wouldjust go with what you already have. They will most likely not ask about his
job. They did not with mine.

Jill (Went through Vancouver)

"Luanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I received good news and bad news today.
    >
    > Good news is that I found out that my Consulate interview in Montreal is scheduled
    > for May 8th.
    >
    > Bad news is that my USC fiance just phoned to tell me that he got laid off today.
    >
    > He already wrote up an Affidavit of Support and got it notarized a few weeks ago
    > (when he was still employed). I'm guessing that in light of today's unfortunate
    > news we'll now have to get a co-sponsor. Is that correct?
    >
    > Problem is, suppose he cannot find a co-sponsor in time for the interview which is
    > less than 2 weeks away, what happens then?
    >
    > I'm from Canada and have some money saved up. How much do I need to show the
    > Consulate to qualify to be above the 125% poverty line?
    >
    > Speed is of the essence, so I'd be very grateful for any responses I get!
    >
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    >
    > Luanne
    >

TEST--== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =TEST--

Luanne

Hi Jill,

Thanks for your response.

As you can imagine, I"m more than a little bit worried over this. Tell me something,
did you have to show them the letter from your fiance's employer? Luckily my fiance
already has that.

I was hoping to show my own assets but I don't think I'd have enough to qualify.

I'll keep the NG informed as to what happens, keep your fingers crossed for us

Thanks,

Luanne

cmagill wrote:

>I wouldjust go with what you already have. They will most likely not ask about his
    >job. They did not with mine.
    >
    >
    >Jill (Went through Vancouver)
    >
    >
    >"Luanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I received good news and bad news today.
    >>
    >>Good news is that I found out that my Consulate interview in Montreal is scheduled
    >>for May 8th.
    >>
    >>Bad news is that my USC fiance just phoned to tell me that he got laid off today.
    >>
    >>He already wrote up an Affidavit of Support and got it notarized a few weeks ago
    >>(when he was still employed). I'm guessing that in light of today's unfortunate
    >>news we'll now have to get a co-sponsor. Is that correct?
    >>
    >>Problem is, suppose he cannot find a co-sponsor in time for the interview which is
    >>less than 2 weeks away, what happens then?
    >>
    >>I'm from Canada and have some money saved up. How much do I need to show the
    >>Consulate to qualify to be above the 125% poverty line?
    >>
    >>Speed is of the essence, so I'd be very grateful for any responses I get!
    >>
    >>
    >>Thanks a lot,
    >>
    >>
    >>Luanne
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    >

>TEST--== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =TEST--
    >

Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<html> <head> </head> <body> Hi Jill,<br> <br> Thanks for your response.<br> <br> As
you can imagine, I"m more than a little bit worried over this. &nbsp;Tell me
something, did you have to show them the letter from your fiance's employer?
&nbsp;Luckily my fiance already has that.<br> <br> I was hoping to show my own assets
but I don't think I'd have enough to qualify.<br> <br> I'll keep the NG informed as
to what happens, keep your fingers crossed for us <br> <br> Thanks,<br> <br>
Luanne<br> <br> cmagill wrote:<br> <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">I wouldjust go with what you
already have. They will most likely not ask<br>about his job. They did not with
mine.<br><br><br>Jill (Went through Vancouver)<br><br><br>"Luanne" <a
class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:[email protected]">&lt;[email protected]&gt;</a> wrote in
message<br><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:[email protected]">n-
ews:[email protected]</a>...<br></pre> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre
wrap="">I received good news and bad news today.<br><br>Good news is that I found out
that my Consulate interview in Montreal is<br>scheduled for May 8th.<br><br>Bad news
is that my USC fiance just phoned to tell me that he got laid<br>off today.<br><br>He
already wrote up an Affidavit of Support and got it notarized a few<br>weeks ago
(when he was still employed). I'm guessing that in light of<br>today's unfortunate
news we'll now have to get a co-sponsor. Is that<br>correct?<br><br>Problem is,
suppose he cannot find a co-sponsor in time for the<br>interview which is less than 2
weeks away, what happens then?<br><br>I'm from Canada and have some money saved up.
How much do I need to<br>show the Consulate to qualify to be above the 125% poverty
line?<br><br>Speed is of the essence, so I'd be very grateful for any responses I
get!<br><br><br>Thanks a lot,<br><br><br>Luanne<br><br></pre> </blockquote>

</blockquote> <br> </body> </html

Shelley

TESTTEST=_NextPart_000_0113_01C1EF17.7B853BE0

charset="iso-8859-1"

The INS won't care if you do have enough assets to support yourself - = you could be
a millionaire and it would not matter. The USC sponsor is = the one who has to show
either income or assets to support an immigrant = fianc=E9e. Hopefully your fianc=E9
will find a new job soon. You should really = line up a co-sponsor anyway, because
you are going to need one for your = AOS paperwork, especially if he is still out of
work. Take Care. Shelley

"Luanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
news:[email protected]... Hi Jill,

Thanks for your response.

As you can imagine, I"m more than a little bit worried over this. = Tell me
something, did you have to show them the letter from your = fiance's employer?
Luckily my fiance already has that.

I was hoping to show my own assets but I don't think I'd have enough = to qualify.

I'll keep the NG informed as to what happens, keep your fingers = crossed for us

Thanks,

Luanne

cmagill wrote:

I wouldjust go with what you already have. They will most likely not = askabout his
job. They did not with mine.Jill (Went through = Vancouver)"Luanne"
<[email protected]> wrote in = messagenews:[email protected]... I
received good news and bad news today.Good news is that I found out = that my
Consulate interview in Montreal isscheduled for May 8th.Bad news = is that my USC
fiance just phoned to tell me that he got laidoff = today.He already wrote up an
Affidavit of Support and got it notarized a = fewweeks ago (when he was still
employed). I'm guessing that in light = oftoday's unfortunate news we'll now have to
get a co-sponsor. Is = thatcorrect?Problem is, suppose he cannot find a co-sponsor in
time for = theinterview which is less than 2 weeks away, what happens then?I'm from =
Canada and have some money saved up. How much do I need toshow the = Consulate to
qualify to be above the 125% poverty line?Speed is of the = essence, so I'd be very
grateful for any responses I get!Thanks a = lot,Luanne TEST--=3D Posted via
Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =
=3DTEST--http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the =
World!TEST--=3D=3D Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =
=3DTEST--

TESTTEST=_NextPart_000_0113_01C1EF17.7B853BE0 Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META
content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2712.300" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The INS won't care if you do have enough assets to =
support=20 yourself - you could be a millionaire and it would not
matter.&nbsp; The = USC=20 sponsor is the one who has to show either income
or assets to support an =

immigrant fianc=E9e.</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT size=3D2>Hopefully your fianc=E9 will find a new job = soon.&nbsp; You=20
should really line up a co-sponsor anyway, because you are going to need = one
for=20 your AOS paperwork, especially if he is still out of work.</FONT></DIV>
<DVI><FONT size=3D2>Take Care.&nbsp; Shelley</FONT></DIV>
<DVII><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px;
PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; = BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid;
MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DVIII>"Luanne" &lt;<A=20
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>&gt; = wrote
in=20 message <A=20
=
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]<=
/A>...</DIV>Hi=20 Jill,<BR><BR>Thanks for your response.<BR><BR>As you can imagine,
I"m = more=20 than a little bit worried over this. &nbsp;Tell me something, did you =
have to=20 show them the letter from your fiance's employer? &nbsp;Luckily my =
fiance=20 already has that.<BR><BR>I was hoping to show my own assets but I = don't
think=20 I'd have enough to qualify.<BR><BR>I'll keep the NG informed as to = what=20
happens, keep your fingers crossed for us=20
<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Luanne<BR><BR>cmagill wrote:<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE cite=3Dmid:[email protected] = type=3D"cite"><PRE
wrap=3D"">I wouldjust go with what you already have. = They will most likely not
ask<BR>about his job. They did not with = mine.<BR><BR><BR>Jill (Went through
Vancouver)<BR><BR><BR>"Luanne" <A = class=3Dmoz-txt-link-rfc2396E =
href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">&lt;[email protected]&gt;</A> = wrote in
message<BR><A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:[email protected]<=
/A>...<BR></PRE> <BLOCKQUOTE type=3D"cite"><PRE wrap=3D"">I received good news and
= bad news today.<BR><BR>Good news is that I found out that my Consulate =
interview in Montreal is<BR>scheduled for May 8th.<BR><BR>Bad news is = that my USC
fiance just phoned to tell me that he got laid<BR>off = today.<BR><BR>He already
wrote up an Affidavit of Support and got it = notarized a few<BR>weeks ago (when he
was still employed). I'm guessing = that in light of<BR>today's unfortunate news
we'll now have to get a = co-sponsor. Is that<BR>correct?<BR><BR>Problem is,
suppose he cannot = find a co-sponsor in time for the<BR>interview which is less
than 2 = weeks away, what happens then?<BR><BR>I'm from Canada and have some =
money saved up. How much do I need to<BR>show the Consulate to qualify = to be
above the 125% poverty line?<BR><BR>Speed is of the essence, so = I'd be very
grateful for any responses I get!<BR><BR><BR>Thanks a =
lot,<BR><BR><BR>Luanne<BR><BR></PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><PRE =
wrap=3D""><!TEST-><BR><BR><BR><BR>TEST--=3D Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, = Uncensored
Usenet News =3DTEST--<BR><A class=3Dmoz-txt-link-freetext =
href=3D"http://www.newsfeeds.com">http://www.newsfeeds.com</A> - The #1 = Newsgroup
Service in the World!<BR>TEST--=3D=3D Over 80,000 Newsgroups - = 16 Different
Servers! =
=3DTEST--<BR></PRE></BLOCKQUOTE><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

TESTTEST=_NextPart_000_0113_01C1EF17.7B853BE0--

Old May 2nd 2002, 1:10 am
Klrmn

It is my understanding that the immigrant's assets can be taken into account, but it
might be only for a spouse and not for a fiance. In any case, if you use cash or
property instead of income, then it is 5 times the usuall amount. This is what I
understood from reading the instructions on the I-864 form. I did not, however,
understand how it is you're supposed to fill out the form if the assets belong to the
immigrant.

-Leah

Old May 2nd 2002, 2:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Going to suggest something here that I would normally never do -- mislead the US Consulate.

Your USC fiancee has the employment letter? He has the I-134 completed and ready to mail to you? Then use it and don't volunteer information about his being laid off.

Line up a co-sponsor for the filing of the AOS after your marriage in case he is not employed by that time. At the time of the AOS, if it is over six months from the date of your marriage, you will be able to use income and his to make up a new I-864 and substitute that for the co-sponsors.

Rita
Old May 2nd 2002, 7:40 am
Luanne

Hi Rita,

Thanks for your response. That's what my fiance and I decided to do as well. As you
can imagine though we're both nervous about doing it but we won't be volunteering any
information. If they ask him about his job however we'll be honest with them.

Here's another thing though, he'll be getting unemployment insurance which is just
below the poverty line, I told him to bring that letter to the interview and I
already got a letter from my bank stating that I have some assets. So with his
combined unemployment insurance and my assets it'll just get us over the poverty
line. I don't know if they'll accept that or not, but that's what I'll be showing
them IF I have to confess the truth about his job situation.

I just want next Wed to hurry up and be over with.

I'll post my interview experience afterwards.

Thanks again for your input.

Luanne

Rete wrote:

>Going to suggest something here that I would normally never do -- mislead the US
    >Consulate.
    >
    >Your USC fiancee has the employment letter? He has the I-134 completed and ready to
    >mail to you? Then use it and don't volunteer information about his being laid off.
    >
    >Line up a co-sponsor for the filing of the AOS after your marriage in case he is not
    >employed by that time. At the time of the AOS, if it is over six months from the
    >date of your marriage, you will be able to use income and his to make up a new I-864
    >and substitute that for the co-sponsors.
    >
    >Rita
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >
    >
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 2nd 2002, 8:10 am
Luanne

BTW, yes, he'll be bringing his employment letter (which he got a couple of months
ago, before the layoff) and the notarized I-134 when he comes with me to the
interview.

Luanne

Rete wrote:

>Going to suggest something here that I would normally never do -- mislead the US
    >Consulate.
    >
    >Your USC fiancee has the employment letter? He has the I-134 completed and ready to
    >mail to you? Then use it and don't volunteer information about his being laid off.
    >
    >Line up a co-sponsor for the filing of the AOS after your marriage in case he is not
    >employed by that time. At the time of the AOS, if it is over six months from the
    >date of your marriage, you will be able to use income and his to make up a new I-864
    >and substitute that for the co-sponsors.
    >
    >Rita
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >
    >
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 2nd 2002, 10:10 am
Mrtravel

Luanne wrote:
    >
    > BTW, yes, he'll be bringing his employment letter (which he got a couple of months
    > ago, before the layoff) and the notarized I-134 when he comes with me to the
    > interview.
    >

I have to disagree with Rete. Bring an employment letter AFTER you know he no longer
has a job seems like dangerous thingk to do to me. Given there is a workable solution
(co sponsor), that is the route to try.

After all, if INS, or someone incline to tell INS, were to read this newsgroup, they
know you are scheduled for an interview on May 8. I am guessing that Luanne might
even be your real name. You just publicly posted that you know your fiance is no
longer employed and you intend to hide this from INS.

Trend lightly, the walls have ears.

Old May 2nd 2002, 8:10 pm
notparanoid

On Thu, 02 May 2002 21:42:43 GMT, mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have to disagree with Rete. Bring an employment letter AFTER you know he no longer
    >has a job seems like dangerous thingk to do to me. Given there is a workable
    >solution (co sponsor), that is the route to try.
    >
    >After all, if INS, or someone incline to tell INS, were to read this newsgroup, they
    >know you are scheduled for an interview on May 8. I am guessing that Luanne might
    >even be your real name. You just publicly posted that you know your fiance is no
    >longer employed and you intend to hide this from INS.
    >
    >Trend lightly, the walls have ears.
I've read this kind of paranoid stuff here, before... and I think it is ridiculous!
No one from the INS is sitting around reading this newsgroup so they can bust people
for lying at AOS interviews. It just isn't the way any big government bureaucracy
operates! First of all, they would have to assume that you are not using your real
name, so then they'd have to do various types of investigation to even ATTEMPT to
find one's real name... Then, they'd have to dig up that person's file based on
sketchy information...

It just isn't going to happen.

Besides, it isn't fraudulent. You are showing them documents which you got based on
what was true at the time you got them. You are presenting a case that you are a
responsible enough person to support your immigrant mate. The fact that you have had
this job for this long
- even if you are now unemployed - shows that you are a a responsible adult. You are
not planning to LIE, you are only planning to mislead them into not asking
questions...

Don't worry about it. Present the info and hope for the best. It seems to me that the
worse case scenario is that you would still have a chance to get a sponsor if they
find out you are unemployed and need one... You would still get a chance to find
someone who can be financially responsible...

Old May 3rd 2002, 7:40 pm
Rick

[email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Thu, 02 May 2002 21:42:43 GMT, mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I have to disagree with Rete. Bring an employment letter AFTER you know he no
    > >longer has a job seems like dangerous thingk to do to me. Given there is a
    > >workable solution (co sponsor), that is the route to try.
    > >
    > >After all, if INS, or someone incline to tell INS, were to read this newsgroup,
    > >they know you are scheduled for an interview on May 8. I am guessing that Luanne
    > >might even be your real name. You just publicly posted that you know your fiance
    > >is no longer employed and you intend to hide this from INS.
    > >
    > >Trend lightly, the walls have ears.
    > I've read this kind of paranoid stuff here, before... and I think it is ridiculous!
    > No one from the INS is sitting around reading this newsgroup so they can bust
    > people for lying at AOS interviews. It just isn't the way any big government
    > bureaucracy operates! First of all, they would have to assume that you are not
    > using your real name, so then they'd have to do various types of investigation to
    > even ATTEMPT to find one's real name... Then, they'd have to dig up that person's
    > file based on sketchy information...
    >
    > It just isn't going to happen.
    >
    > Besides, it isn't fraudulent. You are showing them documents which you got based on
    > what was true at the time you got them. You are presenting a case that you are a
    > responsible enough person to support your immigrant mate. The fact that you have
    > had this job for this long
    > - even if you are now unemployed - shows that you are a a responsible adult. You
    > are not planning to LIE, you are only planning to mislead them into not asking
    > questions...
    >
    > Don't worry about it. Present the info and hope for the best. It seems to me that
    > the worse case scenario is that you would still have a chance to get a sponsor if
    > they find out you are unemployed and need one... You would still get a chance to
    > find someone who can be financially responsible...

"..only planning to mislead them.." when referring to the INS sounds a very dangerous
proposition. Visa fraud is defined by INS as "..obtaining a visa or benefit by fraud
or wilful misrepresentation.." INS also refer to "..concealing a material fact.." In
my experience, misleading someone means you're misrepresenting something. Better
advice, I believe, is to be truthful. Often it is not the original problem itself
that is problematic - it is lying about it or concealing it that is seen as evidence
of dishonesty. 'Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.'